amirah5
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the view from our second-story balcony. Kind of awesome:

post-19-0-01909000-1314398575.jpg

post-19-0-14578700-1314398582.jpg

Oh-man am I jealous! Wish I was there. Love a snow chase but.....the adrenaline buzz from a long duration hurricane show is awesome! Good luck & hope things go well. Lotta pressure for "that great shot" but, safety fisrt as you already know.

Good luck Josh! I hope you see some 90kt gusts

:wub: Thanks.

Really nice area Josh! It'll be quite interesting to see what kind of storm surge you'll get there... have you found a marker you can use to gauge about how much you'll end up getting?

Yeah, I'm curious. I have no idea what to expect. On the one hand, it's a Cat 1, other other hand, it's a large, large cyclone in a really surge-prone area. I just don't know what's coming, really.

If you park the car a couple blocks away from the water it should be fine...well as long as you find somewhere sheltered from the wind. Also, I've seen ~2 foot waves breaking on that street before, hope you do too!

Yeah, I'm thinking I get dramatic shots of water washing over that street and into the town.

i could have sent you a bag of wooden nickles good for a beer or wine at the bar on the right side of your pic....collected them as we tied up twice a year at the dock strait in front of your window....

Man, everyone's been here!

We need to see zero E component at this point for Beaufort to be in the eastern eyewall.

post-20-0-64750200-1314400436.gif

Yep-- but we'd be totally cool with the eye as well-- perhaps more so-- as I'd like to take a central pressure reading.

Good luck, Josh! I hope you get the worst/best conditions :P

Did you know they issued mandatory evacuation orders for all of Nassau County south of Sunrise Highway? People are upset about that lol. ;)

Im going to be taking pressure readings too-- I want to beat my previous record of 966mb from the Tax Day noreaster! :)

LOL. I will. I promise.

:D Thank you.

P.S. Did you get my PM?

Good luck, Josh! I hope you get the worst/best conditions :P

Did you know they issued mandatory evacuation orders for all of Nassau County south of Sunrise Highway? People are upset about that lol. ;)

Im going to be taking pressure readings too-- I want to beat my previous record of 966mb from the Tax Day noreaster! :)

Wow-- they're really reacting aggressively to this. Good luck with your pressure reading-- you might get it!

Are you just going to take pressure readings to avoid exposing the car?

No, we're taking wind readings for sure! I still haven't resolved the issue of data contamination when the car is moving, though...

Speaking of pressures, your Kestrel and mine are consistently ~0.5 mb apart! :angry:

Oh, it's 1002 mb right now and falling...

This thing is likely going in around Ocracoke. That doesn't bode well for anything stronger than strong TS conditions in Morehead City, with the wind direction coming off of land. Safety permitting, I'd gun it up the coast in the morning if I were you.

I kinda agree but man that is going to be a horrible drive.

It is currently impossible to make it to Ocracoke Island because the only way you can get there is via Ferry, which is currently not operational in this tropical cyclone.

The track does suggest that Beaufort will be on the eastern eyewall at best, but it seems if they can take I-70 to the end of the Peninsula, they can still snag the northern eyewall that looks pretty robust still.

post-1749-0-50357900-1314426879.gif

Archived