Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along the waterfront in Beaufort and Front Street is now flooding-- we think from surge-- so we had to head inland a block. Hard to see in the darkness.

Looks like a good rinband is just offshore.

What the latest with the motion?

About due north now... not really wobbling west anymore, but not the major eastward component we saw earlier... this will make a direct landfall in mainland NC so you can get directly in the eye if you travel just a bit east on hwy 70.

Pressure is 973.8 mb and falling.

We headed to the E reaches of Beaufort into an area with fancy houses, but it's dark and waterfront areas aren't accessible. Back in town, the surge is rising up on Front Street-- covering the curb and inching up. We seem to be in a lull in advance of that big rain band.

I have no wind data to share, as they're mostly contaminated from car motion. This is a puzzle Cory and I need to solve for future chases.

Pressure is 973.8 mb and falling.

We headed to the E reaches of Beaufort into an area with fancy houses, but it's dark and waterfront areas aren't accessible. Back in town, the surge is rising up on Front Street-- covering the curb and inching up. We seem to be in a lull in advance of that big rain band.

I have no wind data to share, as they're mostly contaminated from car motion. This is a puzzle Cory and I need to solve for future chases.

You don't have to go far... recon just did another pass and the center is once again slightly west in longitude again. It seems that there is another westward wobble on radar as well. All in all great news for you!

... Also, the road east of Beaufort floods very easily and I've seen dozens of power lines fall over it as well and access be blocked for days (when you go east of Beaufort and turn right at the high school the only ways out are that road and the ferry at Cedar Island). I guess the point I want to make is that if you go there you could be there for a long time, maybe even days.

unsure.gifyikes.png be careful you can get stuck out there when the surge comes in.......

you mean as in this earlier post-same area he is heading to, right?

We're in Marshallberg. We found a few locations around 5 ft above sea level, and we notice lots of people have parked their cars at one particular intersection-- probably for a reason.

Where is the center relative to us? Internet connection kind of spotty now.

Appears to be due S, moving NNE

We're in Marshallberg. We found a few locations around 5 ft above sea level, and we notice lots of people have parked their cars at one particular intersection-- probably for a reason.

Where is the center relative to us? Internet connection kind of spotty now.

Approx center is the small red dot towards the bottom of the radar image...So almost due south of you.

irene2.png

Watching the radar it really looks like the whole storm just stopped and did a pivot to the NNE in the last 30 minutes. Strange storm.

The eye is no longer well defined so little wobbles back and forth the ones we have been experiencing are going to become a lot more common. It does seem like the northward wobble that we enjoyed for the last couple of hours is finishing up because you can see the outer bands shifting direction as well.

Archived