• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene and the mid-Atlantic (Pre-game show)

Ian

I didn't say I didn't like it or that I didn't want to learn it, I just don't understand it at this point. I was just looking for an answer to a simple question. Please accept my apology for my original stupid post.

Glad to see you want to learn it. Lots of opportunity on here for that. I suggest if you don't know a term you google it, and that will often give you both an answer and a source to that particular type of information. But as for your original question...weather.gov is the best source. I'd say 90% or more of the mets (and non-mets) on this board use it all the time.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you're good

make the money now; the hurricane party drunks should tip better

you won't get a chance to play for a while in VAB

what instrument do you play, if any?

That's my theory and the bar's theory, too. My only concern is winds increasing and VDOT closing the bridges and the tunnels. I don't know what time winds are supposed to really pick up in this area; I'm at work and have no live news broadcast available so this is my only real outlet to follow information (posting/reading from my phone).

I'm playing drums tonight, so my instruments are at least pretty water resistant, but we will be towing a 5x8 single-axle trailer, and I don't particularly want to watch all our crap get blown into the Atlantic Ocean. The stage is indoors obviously but the bar is still making the "it's on" call and we're really on the fence about that one. If we're looking at some rain and ~30mph winds, I don't care, we'll get paid. If we're going to be 20mi from the eye at that point, I'd much rather stay home.

I don't know anymore about them then what I just learned in that presentation, so take that into account... Seems like moisture from the TC overruns a frontal boundary and with the interaction (lift) from the right-rear portion of the jet you can get very heavy rain over a limited area.

TC: check

Stalled frontal boundary to our south: check

Right-rear portion of a jet max: check

http://www.hpc.ncep..../sfc/90fwbg.gif

Your loss...more delicious nuggets for me!:thumbsup:

Hmmm. Could that be the beginnings of some PRE down by Salisbury, MD? :)

just change the airport code

http://www.nws.noaa....met.pl?sta=KDCA

Thanks. My quick analysis (from the bias as a pilot, not a Met), is that the DCA one is scewy. BAL is about 6k less, but gusts much higher, IAD in the high 20s. I 'm not inclined to believe a solution where DCA has more wind than BAL given the relative longitude. But, we'll see.

That's my theory and the bar's theory, too. My only concern is winds increasing and VDOT closing the bridges and the tunnels. I don't know what time winds are supposed to really pick up in this area; I'm at work and have no live news broadcast available so this is my only real outlet to follow information (posting/reading from my phone).

I'm playing drums tonight, so my instruments are at least pretty water resistant, but we will be towing a 5x8 single-axle trailer, and I don't particularly want to watch all our crap get blown into the Atlantic Ocean. The stage is indoors obviously but the bar is still making the "it's on" call and we're really on the fence about that one. If we're looking at some rain and ~30mph winds, I don't care, we'll get paid. If we're going to be 20mi from the eye at that point, I'd much rather stay home.

Per weather.gov:

Tonight: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Scattered rain and thunderstorms, then rain likely and possibly a thunderstorm after midnight. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a low around 76. East wind 13 to 18 mph increasing to between 32 and 37 mph. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Per weather.gov:

Tonight: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Scattered rain and thunderstorms, then rain likely and possibly a thunderstorm after midnight. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a low around 76. East wind 13 to 18 mph increasing to between 32 and 37 mph. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

I've been playing around with their maps, and yeah, it looks like we'll want to be out of there between the 2 AM and 5 AM forecasts, which wouldn't be a problem. A little risky, but I don't think it's suicide or anything.

Thanks guys. I'll throw a webcam out the window looking at the beach and live stream what it looks like out here if they've got wifi.

LWX going gung-ho with the FFW update at 1 pm

THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

* PORTIONS OF MARYLAND...THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND VIRGINIA...

INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN MARYLAND...ANNE ARUNDEL... CALVERT...CHARLES...HARFORD...HOWARD...MONTGOMERY...NORTHERN

BALTIMORE...PRINCE GEORGES...SOUTHERN BALTIMORE AND ST. MARYS.

THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. IN VIRGINIA...ARLINGTON/FALLS

CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA...FAIRFAX...KING GEORGE...PRINCE

WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK...SPOTSYLVANIA AND STAFFORD.

* FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING * HEAVY RAINS FROM HURRICANE IRENE ARE EXPECTED TO BRING STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS 3 TO 6 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS UPWARD OF 6 TO 8 INCHES ALONG THE WESTERN SHORE OF THE MARYLAND CHESAPEAKE BAY.

I don't see a reason why a good chunk of us can't get to 3 inches or over. The wind is a different question IMO.

yeah we'll see.. the wind trend seems to be up moer than down lately, so could be a "surprise"

safe bet it wont be the main story here though

yeah we'll see.. the wind trend seems to be up moer than down lately, so could be a "surprise"

safe bet it wont be the main story here though

Although - If we get real soaked and mushy ground and then one or two 45mph gusts - people will think the wind was insanely strong.

I wouldn't get too perky...I just learned about these things today. But based on that presentation Forky posted...yeah, Central PA certainly in a prime spot for this to occur (if it occurs at all).

Posted this in the Philly thread, but since you are actual;ly talking about it, I wantd to see if I was interpreting it correctly. Looks to be setting up further south than was predicted yesterday.

nam_200_012l.gif

The forecast for NYC is pretty ridiculous :

Sunday: Hurricane conditions possible. Rain, mainly before 4pm. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 77. North wind 55 to 75 mph decreasing to between 45 and 55 mph. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts in excess of 4 inches possible.

Just pretty amazing to think of that type of conditions in a metro area of 10+ million. Gonna cause some MAJOR problems.

Showers starting to pop in the area. Can anybody tell if this is a PRE or just showers from the stalled front? It would be good to see where the rain band sets up if and when it does.

stalled front interacting with moisture being pushed north. it's been pretty well modeled... it could still act as a boundary going forward tho

Looking at the satellite view for the US, I just don't see how this doesn't get swept out by the trough in the center of the country. Can anyone explain? It looks like it would end up east of where it's modeled based on current images, at least for latitudes north of the VA/NC border.

Archived