• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene and the mid-Atlantic (Pre-game show)

Ian

4"+ in a stripe about 20 miles west of dc to the shore by 12z

Thanks, I just got back from golfing and looked at the euro. It looked farther west than the gfs. I've got my gas, checked my generator, went to the liquor store for wine. :drunk: I'm ready for the storm. The euro looks like I was lose power for sure, the gfs (meh), I'd probably lose it since I have BGE but it doesn't look as impressive.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CNN track graphic recently showed the track offshore MD/DE instead of right over, grazing Jersey, and sort of to the right/east of NYC. Not sure what prompted the "east jog" track but Hate to see it.

NBC has had that track as well since this morning. I guess unless the path changes noticeably by the public, 100 miles or so, there's no point?

Looking at the satellite view for the US, I just don't see how this doesn't get swept out by the trough in the center of the country. Can anyone explain? It looks like it would end up east of where it's modeled based on current images, at least for latitudes north of the VA/NC border.

Isn't that the mechanism that isn't allowing it to go right out to sea? At least that's what I've gathered from reading the discussion past few days.

Looks like we may have a little fun before the main event. Plenty of daytime heating. Showers now popping up closer to D.C.

Doubt we get anything too strong. See LWX discussion. Probably some heavy rainers if anything.

nice.. sounds about right.

at least till someone reminds us of dec 26 again...

But they don't have much choice, the euro is pretty darn good and it is really wet. Some here may be good enough to say the storm is going to nudge farther east and be like the gfs or even be east of the gfs but knowing how hard it is to beat the Euro and knowing the srefs have a lot fo members giving more rain than the gfs, LWX is in a pickle. It's better to go for the heavier amounts and hope for the lighter ones then go with the lighter amounts and then have flooding. Besides, I could see either the GFS or Euro being right.

But they don't have much choice, the euro is pretty darn good and it is really wet. Some here may be good enough to say the storm is going to nudge farther east and be like the gfs or even be east of the gfs but knowing how hard it is to beat the Euro and knowing the srefs have a lot fo members giving more rain than the gfs, LWX is in a pickle. It's better to go for the heavier amounts and hope for the lighter ones then go with the lighter amounts and then have flooding. Besides, I could see either the GFS or Euro being right.

i agree. i was just playing around since everyone has been so down on our chances. i've been on the "rain train" for a while now. it's still perilous but i want to say the gfs is wrong with the western cutoff. it'll be sharp somewhere but i think further west than it shows. the euro now has like 5 runs showing DC in 4"+ so it would be one of those epic euro busts we'll talk about for some time if it doesnt happen.

i agree. i was just playing around since everyone has been so down on our chances. i've been on the "rain train" for a while now. it's still perilous but i want to say the gfs is wrong with the western cutoff. it'll be sharp somewhere but i think further west than it shows. the euro now has like 5 runs showing DC in 4"+ so it would be one of those epic euro busts we'll talk about for some time if it doesnt happen.

I'm thinking the Blue Ridge is where a decent sharp cutoff sets up - maybe like a reverse mountain effect lol - finally we can get back at those mountains for eating our precip.

On Amtrak south to Virginia Beach (yeah I just had to chase this) and it's eerily quiet. Still sunny and calm wind. A fun next 24 hours!

nice.. not a bad idea.

say hi to rainstorm.

Otherwise, NWS can expect massive cuts.

"Another failed government agency"

people hate climo so much but it almost always wins. i cant believe people actually convinced themselves a cat2/3 was going to hit ny/sne

people hate climo so much but it almost always wins. i cant believe people actually convinced themselves a cat2/3 was going to hit ny/sne

Yup, and just a healthy respect for the history of hurricane intensity forecasting helps as well. Isabel was forecasted to regain Cat 3 strength before landfall. Floyd wasn't forecasted to drop down in strength so quickly before landfall. Gustav, Ike, etc. etc.

Yup, and just a healthy respect for the history of hurricane intensity forecasting helps as well. Isabel was forecasted to regain Cat 3 strength before landfall. Floyd wasn't forecasted to drop down in strength so quickly before landfall. Gustav, Ike, etc. etc.

Isabel gave us plenty even though she weakened....A few pics from my street in Old Town Alexandria

Archived