• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
August Obs.

Psalm 148:8

Been hovering at 93 all afternoon. Looks like I might catch some rain here in the next little bit. Really needing some, haven't had a single rain event that totaled more than a tenth of an inch in 25 days, and over the course of those 25 days i've only received a total of .24" in occasional drizzles/light showers.

Edit: just received .22" from a heavy shower bringing the streak to an end! Another shower looks to be on the way.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we are just a few weeks away from meteorological fall so I don't guess it would be too unusual to see such a pattern. The Dog Days are almost over so it's normal to see it start to cool off in Mid August. I think we deserve a cooler pattern just to make up for all the horrible heat and humidity we've had to endure the past 2 summers.

Very unusual to see that pattern in the longer term IMO - keeping in mind it is only being shown on the models. That said, it's not a ridiculously cool pattern by any means. Still, it is a rare day to see a fall like pattern of any kind in TN in any part of August. We usually get our first shot of true fall air in mid to late September and it doesn't last too long. A pattern like the one that was shown on the 12z GFS is usually not shown before Labor Day IMO. That said, it may just be a red herring. But hey, I'll be satisfied w/ temps just moderating a bit here. We have fried in the TN Valley all summer.

Very unusual to see that pattern in the longer term IMO - keeping in mind it is only being shown on the models. That said, it's not a ridiculously cool pattern by any means. Still, it is a rare day to see a fall like pattern of any kind in TN in any part of August. We usually get our first shot of true fall air in mid to late September and it doesn't last too long. A pattern like the one that was shown on the 12z GFS is usually not shown before Labor Day IMO. That said, it may just be a red herring. But hey, I'll be satisfied w/ temps just moderating a bit here. We have fried in the TN Valley all summer.

Fall-like weather in August is certainly not the norm, but occasionally it can get down to about 50 degrees or so at night, even in the deep south. I remember August 2004 we had some unusually cool weather with highs in the 70s and lows in the upper 40s to near 50. That's unusual of course, but then again the kind of persistent heat we've had the last 2 summers is unusual as well.

Today was the hottest all summer in these mountains. Got to 94 at 3 p.m. Didn't see that coming. No rain yesterday when everyone else got pounded. Not complaining. Followed the grwth of this thunderboomer south of Boiling Springs, S.C. for the last hour. Very impressive cloud tops.

post-1004-0-98136000-1312763326.jpg

Fall-like weather in August is certainly not the norm, but occasionally it can get down to about 50 degrees or so at night, even in the deep south. I remember August 2004 we had some unusually cool weather with highs in the 70s and lows in the upper 40s to near 50. That's unusual of course, but then again the kind of persistent heat we've had the last 2 summers is unusual as well.

I am not a big fan of La Nina summers at all. We are well over our norm for 90+ temps at KTRI.

Just missed 3 different cells, 2 went to my north, one to my south. I've been missing out a lot lately. Received .02" but did get a nice picture of an orange sky right at sunset, directly over the house. My old camera can't do the color any justice, as it was a surreal looking sky for about 3 minutes, and cast an eerie glow to the landscape.

post-38-0-18585100-1312764808.jpg

post-38-0-44592500-1312764847.jpg

Was hit in the last hour by the nasty storm that moved SE over northern Gwinnett County. Had a TON of cloud to ground strikes......confirmed when half the Gwinnett F.D. came rolling down our street. Turns out the house closest to us had a hole blown through his roof by a strike.....fortunately everyone's ok there. Fire dept. even helped put some tarp over the roof. lightning.gif

For what it's worth, DT proclaims that the "SEVERE SUSTAINED HEAT" is over for central VA, NC, up to Maine. He says the rest of the Monday will mostly feature normal or below normal temps for that area.

I think he meant mainly for the NC/VA state line north. North Carolina is going to be in the battlezone as far as temperatures are concerned with the trough over the lakes and northeast and the persistent heat dome to the west. While I think the days and days of mid to upper nineties are coming to an end for at least the next 10-15 days I am not ready to go with below normal for any sustained period of time especially for the southern part of NC. Also I am not really impressed with rain chances for western NC and upstate of SC this week. Both the ECMWF and GFS show an area of relatively lower QPF over the lee side of the mountains. The MCS that models form Monday will most likely lose its punch by the time it reaches the Carolinas early Tuesday morning and the MCS Tuesday afternoon may miss to the southwest and hit mostly areas in Georgia to the midlands of South Carolina. After that the airmass dries out and downsloping takes over into the late part of the week.

Just got hit really good with a very hot storm. Lots of good lightning that was really close. One bolt was way to close and my neighbors were out looking at a street light about 150 feet from the house so I suspect thats what it hit. I'm uploading the video now to youtube.

Glad to see so many cashing in with the rain this month. I had a wet July, but august so far has started bone dry. Just a trace of rain here so far. We had great looking storm complexes die out leaving the Cumberland plateau both Friday and Saturday. 60% chance of rain both days and it just wouldn't happen. Hit 99 today. Bring on the cooldown.

Just missed 3 different cells, 2 went to my north, one to my south. I've been missing out a lot lately. Received .02" but did get a nice picture of an orange sky right at sunset, directly over the house. My old camera can't do the color any justice, as it was a surreal looking sky for about 3 minutes, and cast an eerie glow to the landscape.

Great shot Robert :wub:

heres the video of that lightning strike.

Sweet capture :D

We had one of the best light shows of the year and my damn camera batteries were dead but it was awesome!

:lol: That sounds like my luck :P

Another 100 degree day on tap again today.....Still counting down the days until the first fall like front sweeps in and brings some much cooler temps ^_^

We had one of the best light shows of the year and my damn camera batteries were dead but it was awesome!

We could see and hear it from up here in Clayton, even after it moved past F'ville.. That was an impressive cluster last night.

We had 2 quick showers that left .15" in their wake. As is usually the case, they both blew up bigtime once they got to the other side of 95.

Hey Foothills, that cloud you captured I believe was the same one that came through Spartanburg /Jonesville and the eastern side of Union SC last night dropping some hail,brief high winds and some vicious cloud to ground about 9 pm as our skies looked similar to you pics prior to it arriving. Power was off in the Northern and Eastern sections of Union until 2 am this morning.

Hey Foothills, that cloud you captured I believe was the same one that came through Spartanburg /Jonesville and the eastern side of Union SC last night dropping some hail,brief high winds and some vicious cloud to ground about 9 pm as our skies looked similar to you pics prior to it arriving. Power was off in the Northern and Eastern sections of Union until 2 am this morning.

I think it was too. I remember seeing a pretty bad looking storm on radar over cherokee at the time, moving south.

the next couple of days there could be a strong MCC to develop somewhere near eastern KS, srn MO, northern Ark or western KY region, that propogates quickly southeast. The timing is questionable, but the pattern looks right to do it once, or maybe twice. (strong 5h divergence, thickness and height pattern, several strong 5H vorts, dry air entrainment from sw, stationary front). SPC has their area slightly more north than mine for today and tomorrow, but it looks to me like the mid. Miss. Valley very near the Ozarks of Mo/Ark will be the starting point. Then on Wed. the midsouth gets a break from the humidity, but by then more impulses will be riding in from the Plains on the front, probably targeting Ark, Miss, Ala, Tenn by late week. The red shaded area is where I feel the strongest about the severe chances.

post-38-0-96782400-1312814822.jpg

Don't fiddle with your camera. Those are great shots. T

I think it was too. I remember seeing a pretty bad looking storm on radar over cherokee at the time, moving south.

the next couple of days there could be a strong MCC to develop somewhere near eastern KS, srn MO, northern Ark or western KY region, that propogates quickly southeast. The timing is questionable, but the pattern looks right to do it once, or maybe twice. (strong 5h divergence, thickness and height pattern, several strong 5H vorts, dry air entrainment from sw, stationary front). SPC has their area slightly more north than mine for today and tomorrow, but it looks to me like the mid. Miss. Valley very near the Ozarks of Mo/Ark will be the starting point. Then on Wed. the midsouth gets a break from the humidity, but by then more impulses will be riding in from the Plains on the front, probably targeting Ark, Miss, Ala, Tenn by late week. The red shaded area is where I feel the strongest about the severe chances.

:thumbsup: excellent! I hope this comes to fruition. I could really use the rain around here.

12Z GFS has dewpoints dropping into the 50's for NC, nw SC and north GA this Thursday. Can't wait to get some drier air in here.

post-38-0-95818800-1312820097.gif

post-38-0-72347600-1312820102.gif

On Friday, it has east winds around the weak damming high, and is showing part of the Carolinas staying in the upper 70's during the afternoon on Friday, with light rain. We'll have to see about that (although it nailed the mid July cool, damp period). If it's missing the precip and clouds, temps would go well above the mid and upper 70's its showing.

post-38-0-89261100-1312820219.gif

12Z GFS has dewpoints dropping into the 50's for NC, nw SC and north GA this Thursday. Can't wait to get some drier air in here.

On Friday, it has east winds around the weak damming high, and is showing part of the Carolinas staying in the upper 70's during the afternoon on Friday, with light rain. We'll have to see about that (although it nailed the mid July cool, damp period). If it's missing the precip and clouds, temps would go well above the mid and upper 70's its showing.

Looks to continue for at least a few days after. 168 hours; could still be average temps (if no clouds) but as you stated lower dewpts.

gfs_slp_168s.gif

Looks to continue for at least a few days after. 168 hours; could still be average temps (if no clouds) but as you stated lower dewpts.

yeah it looks like it brings another front through over the Weekend and another decent dry high pressure straight from the Canadian Prairies to the East coast. That would be very nice.

yeah it looks like it brings another front through over the Weekend and another decent dry high pressure straight from the Canadian Prairies to the East coast. That would be very nice.

Yes it would :wub: I'm not asking for much.....just some "normal" temps and conditions....that would be a nice change :lol:

Archived