amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August Obs.

Psalm 148:8

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can hear an occasional rumble of thunder, storm just missing me by a mile or less to the sw sitting there dumping rain. Everything is 100% brown and even the some of the leaves on the trees are browning, really need some rain. Last rain over a tenth of an inch was July 15th.

I just caught this in the Cartersville Airport obs last night.

0402:53Vrbl 3 G 290.75Thunderstorm Light Snow Fog/MistNA747129.961012.9

I got snow in August.:thumbsup:

Congrats! :snowman: Bodes well for this coming winter.

It feels amazing outside! 78oFwith a nice fall breeze. Almost chilly compared to 95.

I remember seeing a blurb about this on TV once, can't remember where, but a climatologist was pretty much attributing elevation as the primary factor for it to be so difficult to top the 100 degree mark. Apparently the jist was that the elevation was just enough to hold down a degree or two which was why ATL always seemed to top out around 97 to 99 degrees during a good heat wave like the ones this summer. Last good stretch I remember was the summer of 2007, August I think when we had several consecutive days over the century mark. Could be worse, we could be in Dallas (Texas that is)!

Well, there are a lot of other cities that are over 1,000 feet in elevation that don't seem to have trouble getting over 100. Oklahoma City's elevation is about 1200 feet for example.

Well, there are a lot of other cities that are over 1,000 feet in elevation that don't seem to have trouble getting over 100. Oklahoma City's elevation is about 1200 feet for example.

That's true, but they are completely different out there in the plains in regards to topography, proximity to mountains, etc. It's the sum of a number of factors here, the report was trying to make the point that if Atlanta was as far away from the Appalachians and the higher terrain as Macon and Augusta, you'd see many more days over the century mark.

That's true, but they are completely different out there in the plains in regards to topography, proximity to mountains, etc. It's the sum of a number of factors here, the report was trying to make the point that if Atlanta was as far away from the Appalachians and the higher terrain as Macon and Augusta, you'd see many more days over the century mark.

What's interesting to me is that temp. records come from the southside airport, while the northern burbs have been a good bit hotter in reporting, during this summer anyway, and they are pretty much in the foothills. And down here I'm just a few feet short of 1000', while the northside of Atl. is much closer to the mtns. yet I've been a good bit cooler on many hot days, than say Marietta.

Most years if I'm going to hit 100 it will be around the 4th of July, then again the later weeks of Aug. I somehow feel I won't see it this year....hope I just didn't jinx myself :)

Rain has about stopped. Got a bit over a half inch. Not great, but not bad considering I haven't seen rain in a pretty good while. T

I live at 1000 feet and very close to mountains, but I hit 101 yesterday. Only hit 88 today though due to cloud cover.

What's interesting to me is that temp. records come from the southside airport, while the northern burbs have been a good bit hotter in reporting, during this summer anyway, and they are pretty much in the foothills. And down here I'm just a few feet short of 1000', while the northside of Atl. is much closer to the mtns. yet I've been a good bit cooler on many hot days, than say Marietta.

Most years if I'm going to hit 100 it will be around the 4th of July, then again the later weeks of Aug. I somehow feel I won't see it this year....hope I just didn't jinx myself :)

Rain has about stopped. Got a bit over a half inch. Not great, but not bad considering I haven't seen rain in a pretty good while. T

I personally have only hit 96, and usually stay about 1-2 degrees cooler than KATL. And am at essentially the same elevation, a tad over 1000'. I understand why the E and NE burbs get hotter, lower elev/downsloping, but logically Marietta should be a tick cooler than KATL. I know parts of NW GA heat up pretty well due to being slightly lower and downslope winds from the ridges, but that's more for places like Dalton.

I personally have only hit 96, and usually stay about 1-2 degrees cooler than KATL. And am at essentially the same elevation, a tad over 1000'. I understand why the E and NE burbs get hotter, lower elev/downsloping, but logically Marietta should be a tick cooler than KATL. I know parts of NW GA heat up pretty well due to being slightly lower and downslope winds from the ridges, but that's more for places like Dalton.

Yeah, a lot of time Rome is as hot as Macon...go figure. I think you are in a great spot where you are. At least in winter for sure. You are always getting something frozen if it is going to be falling anywhere, lol. And if you are a few degrees cooler in summer, I rest my case.

I got a bit more rain after the first batch, so I totaled out at just over .6 T

Yes, I know all about the siting stuff. Mine was a compromise with wind too, hence the need for the wireless anemometer. I want to get it 7 feet above the roof peak or 33 feet off the ground, whichever I get first. Once I do, the rest of the sensors will be lowered to about 4'. They call for rain gauges to be at 2' and temp/humidity at 5'. Unfortunately, even on yours and the one I want, the temp and rain are stuck together.

I'll eventually get the soil and leaf moisture sensors. I'd actually like to have 2 or 3 soil temp sensors located at different depths. As you know, you can add remote temp sensors too, I know a guy that made one for his pool.

You can see my siting info on my about page and there is a link there to the CWOP Siting Guide. And yes, I have an error in the anemometer height, it's off by 1. smile.gif

Sorry...I wasn't trying to nit pick. My intent was to just share information and your right, my temp and rain is stuck together at 5 feet off the ground. LOL. I only brought it up because you were commenting on the temp readings.

I used to have my wind mounted to my chimney until it took a direct bolt of lightning and blew it to smithereens along with zapping many electronics in my home. Never again. Now it's just 7 feet off the ground in an open area.

Yeah, a lot of time Rome is as hot as Macon...go figure. I think you are in a great spot where you are. At least in winter for sure. You are always getting something frozen if it is going to be falling anywhere, lol. And if you are a few degrees cooler in summer, I rest my case.

I got a bit more rain after the first batch, so I totaled out at just over .6 T

Rome and Dalton are lower in elevation that ATL, if my memory serves me correctly. Plus they get down sloped a lot from the plateau that is a much higher elevation to the NW.

Getting pounded again: this time with not only rain but also lots of lightning and thunder. Storm has remained stationary and is actually getting somewhat stronger. It's killing my Directv signal sadly.

It figures a nice storm forms over southern Gaston Co and storm motion is off to the west. I really need cooling off as it was still 88 here at 10pm and the gust front only dropped temperatures off by a few degrees.

Can hear an occasional rumble of thunder, storm just missing me by a mile or less to the sw sitting there dumping rain. Everything is 100% brown and even the some of the leaves on the trees are browning, really need some rain. Last rain over a tenth of an inch was July 15th.

I picked up .69" here while I was gone to south Shelby..my dad got nothing. Once again the puddles began immediately around Ingles on 180 south.

Getting pounded again: this time with not only rain but also lots of lightning and thunder. Storm has remained stationary and is actually getting somewhat stronger. It's killing my Directv signal sadly.

I'm watching that on radar, slowly rotating west toward me. I've got thunder and its increasing, with light showers out. I wouldn't mind to see more rain training all night would be nice.

And the legend of the Euro continues...

REMNANTS OF EMILY DISCUSSION NUMBER 13

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052011

500 PM EDT THU AUG 04 2011

SINCE ITS INCEPTION...EMILY NEVER HAD A PARTICULARLY ROBUST

LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION...AND THE HIGH TERRAIN OF HISPANIOLA

CONTRIBUTED SIGNIFICANTLY TO THE FURTHER DEGENERATION OF THE

CYCLONE TODAY. SATELLITE...RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT AND SURFACE

OBSERVATIONS INDICATE THAT EMILY NO LONGER HAS A CLOSED

CIRCULATION....AND THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN DOWNGRADED TO A TROUGH OF

LOW PRESSURE WITH ITS AXIS ALONG 75W. THIS WAS A BIG WIN FOR THE

ECMWF GLOBAL MODEL...WHICH NEVER DEVELOPED EMILY AND ALWAYS

FORECAST DISSIPATION NEAR HISPANIOLA.

And the legend of the Euro continues...

But meh, really on the Euro. Its really been following the GFS's lead for this year, ever since right after the Christmas storm. It's a good model, but has been in a major slump across the western hemisphere, having entire troughs and ridges totally misplaced just 4 and 5 days out. I think the majority of the thinking is that since it was once the king of models, its always king, and that just simply isn't the case. I have no idea how it will handle this hurricane season though. GGEM was way off.

Sorry...I wasn't trying to nit pick. My intent was to just share information and your right, my temp and rain is stuck together at 5 feet off the ground. LOL. I only brought it up because you were commenting on the temp readings.

I used to have my wind mounted to my chimney until it took a direct bolt of lightning and blew it to smithereens along with zapping many electronics in my home. Never again. Now it's just 7 feet off the ground in an open area.

No offense taken! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif You are correct, there are standards to mounting a weather station, I debated a long time how I was going to compromise when I put it up.

Lightning is one reason I want to go wireless on the anemometer. I don't need to have a direct link from the lightning to the computer by having a wired connection between the two. But I am determined to get as close as possibe to the standards as I can, my biggest fear is spewing out bogus data.

I think when I get the new station, I'll use my Vue as a portable/mobile weather station.

No offense taken! :thumbsup: You are correct, there are standards to mounting a weather station, I debated a long time how I was going to compromise when I put it up.

Lightning is one reason I want to go wireless on the anemometer. I don't need to have a direct link from the lightning to the computer by having a wired connection between the two. But I am determined to get as close as possibe to the standards as I can, my biggest fear is spewing out bogus data.

I think when I get the new station, I'll use my Vue as a portable/mobile weather station.

Good call on that one. My previous install that was hit by lightning was a cabled version.:thumbsdown: I'll connect the dots...cable from anemometer to sensor suite located beside my house....cable from sensor suite to the VP2 console by my computer....cable from VP console to my PC. Let's just say that everything along that whole cable run was toasted. That was about 4 years ago or so.

After that I said VP2 wireless was the only option.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah...ProVantage.com has great prices too.

I picked up .69" here while I was gone to south Shelby..my dad got nothing. Once again the puddles began immediately around Ingles on 180 south.

I'm watching that on radar, slowly rotating west toward me. I've got thunder and its increasing, with light showers out. I wouldn't mind to see more rain training all night would be nice.

Yep thats where the cutoff was because I only picked up .07" yesterday and last night.

Good call on that one. My previous install that was hit by lightning was a cabled version.:thumbsdown: I'll connect the dots...cable from anemometer to sensor suite located beside my house....cable from sensor suite to the VP2 console by my computer....cable from VP console to my PC. Let's just say that everything along that whole cable run was toasted. That was about 4 years ago or so.

After that I said VP2 wireless was the only option.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah...ProVantage.com has great prices too.

VP2 is the way to go for an inexpensive and accurate station. sometimes deals can be found on eBay as well...

Here is a shocker- storm hits Cobb county, about to dump downtown, I get the scraps. About the tenth time this summer this exact scenario has occurred.

:lol: Man it's almost spooky how we keep having very similar results. You got the half inch the other night while I got a half inch yesterday. The best once again misses you and once again the best missed me too to the southeast where radar indicates 2.5 inches. I've lost count on how many times i've gotten scraps this year while nearby got pounded. Half inch though is better than nothing for sure. But it would be nice to actually be in the sweet spot for once, which hasn't happened since our winter snows.

The surrounding topography is important though. There is a big difference between a huge expanse of an area that is at 1200 feet like in the plains than one that is at the top of a ridge at 1200 feet surrounding by lower elevations. It's why places at 5000 feet in the southwest can hit 100 while 5000 feet here wouldn't get close. Or why the freezing height/snow line is so high in the himalayas. However, with that said atlanta's elevation is not that high, only a few hundred feet higher than mine (i'm at around 750 or so) and it's a gradual increase compared to the surrounding area and not a sharp one. It would seem that fact would mean they would heat up more. Not to mention all the heat coming from the concrete and asphalt (although atlanta does have a good amount of trees vs other cities).

So despite the increased elevation, one would think the other factors would at least cancel it out but clearly elevation in large part seems to keep them from reaching 100. Maybe weak upslope flow/cooling also contributes. I notice atlanta often times reports a modest wind speed even if the high is overhead and the wind is calm here. Given the fact weak upslope flow would result with winds from every direction except from the NNE, in most cases the air is going to be cooled very slightly most of the time due to that upslope flow.

One would think such a gradual increase to such a modest elevation wouldn't matter much but it sure as hell shows it's effects during winter time as in post frontal situations. I am always warmer (by 5 to as much as 8 or 9 degrees) and have less cloud cover than atlanta (often times sunny while atlanta is totally cloudy). And interesting to note that during the summer I am usually about 5 degrees warmer too. Amazing to me how such a small amount of elevation can make such a big difference.

:lol: Man it's almost spooky how we keep having very similar results. You got the half inch the other night while I got a half inch yesterday. The best once again misses you and once again the best missed me too to the southeast where radar indicates 2.5 inches. I've lost count on how many times i've gotten scraps this year while nearby got pounded. Half inch though is better than nothing for sure. But it would be nice to actually be in the sweet spot for once, which hasn't happened since our winter snows.

The surrounding topography is important though. There is a big difference between a huge expanse of an area that is at 1200 feet like in the plains than one that is at the top of a ridge at 1200 feet surrounding by lower elevations. It's why places at 5000 feet in the southwest can hit 100 while 5000 feet here wouldn't get close. Or why the freezing height/snow line is so high in the himalayas. However, with that said atlanta's elevation is not that high, only a few hundred feet higher than mine (i'm at around 750 or so) and it's a gradual increase compared to the surrounding area and not a sharp one. It would seem that fact would mean they would heat up more. Not to mention all the heat coming from the concrete and asphalt (although atlanta does have a good amount of trees vs other cities).

So despite the increased elevation, one would think the other factors would at least cancel it out but clearly elevation in large part seems to keep them from reaching 100. Maybe weak upslope flow/cooling also contributes. I notice atlanta often times reports a modest wind speed even if the high is overhead and the wind is calm here. Given the fact weak upslope flow would result with winds from every direction except from the NNE, in most cases the air is going to be cooled very slightly most of the time due to that upslope flow.

One would think such a gradual increase to such a modest elevation wouldn't matter much but it sure as hell shows it's effects during winter time as in post frontal situations. I am always warmer (by 5 to as much as 8 or 9 degrees) and have less cloud cover than atlanta (often times sunny while atlanta is totally cloudy). And interesting to note that during the summer I am usually about 5 degrees warmer too. Amazing to me how such a small amount of elevation can make such a big difference.

Nice explanation! I want to add a couple more thoughts about elevation. There is a higher occurrence of tornadoes in the Cobb, Cherokee, Bartow, and Fulton Counties. You might first think population but then you see Dekalb and Gwinnett counties which have a much lower occurrence , more in line with the rest of Georgia counties. Marietta is between 1075 and 1150 feet in elevation and they often are the first to switch over to snow in the wintertime in borderline events. I don't think it is a latitude deal either as counties at the same latitude don't seem to have that switchover as fast. I think it was two or three years ago, it was literally rain all around the metro and then the switch over happened. I was literally the only one reporting snow for a while in the metro, I had to post pictures on another board for people to believe it. Slight changes in elevation with the topography we have around here seem to have some minor impacts but just enough to make the weather seem a a little off. CAD is another oddity Atlanta deals with.... Not quite so sure that's an elevation thing though, probably just more of a location in regards to the mountains, which very well could explain the heat, tornadoes, and the snow switch over in certain setups.

Looks like some nice rain setting up south and west of charlotte this morning..... it has the feel of one of those type days where it stays cloudy and off and on rain all day. Man it has been a long time since once of those have happened. Let's see if the trends continue

Looks like some nice rain setting up south and west of charlotte this morning..... it has the feel of one of those type days where it stays cloudy and off and on rain all day. Man it has been a long time since once of those have happened. Let's see if the trends continue

It's quite a downpour here as well. It was the very reason that I woke up instead of the alarm clock doing its job haha. Picked up 1.15" last night, which gives me a good start to this month. This is what I had hoped to see to start off the month. Hopefully we can keep this up so that everyone gets a fair chance for more precipitation. If I could, I would give my rain to some folks who really need it.

Currently 81/74 DP

Archived