northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
August Obs.

Psalm 148:8

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now getting a chance to post this evening. I work just about 3 miles northeast of downtown Charlotte very close to the intersection of North Tryon and Sugar Creek Road. The offices where I work flooded as a bad leak developed in the roof. Sugar Creek Rd was closed in two different spots and N. Tryon was closed in three different spots as some cars were covered up to near the rooftops. Also many stoplights were knocked out due the control systems being flooded out. Looks like we got around 4 to 5 inches around that area and much of that feel between 12:30 and 2pm. I've never seen water gushing out of storm drains before today. That area of Charlotte does not do well with heavy rains as it is very urbanized with many large parking lots and industrial areas and contains several large creeks. Being older developments there no buffers to prevent runoff from rapidly overwhelming the creeks and streams.

Didn't get a chance to report in yesterday.........I work in downtown Charlotte. I can verify the flooding (saw it first hand). It got very dark during the height of the event. All the street lights came on as the heaviest rain fell. Reminded me of a tropical storm moving through except this event came with plenty of lightning and thunder. It looked very ominous as the top half of the Charlotte skyline was shrouded in black nimbus clouds.

I can also verify the heavy rain in the High Shoals area. My parents live just north of there and they received 6.30 inches of rain in 3 hours. Don't know what they ended up with yet.

It's a very foggy and muggy morning here and it looks like we are in for another round of at least scattered heavy rain today. Maybe this is a sign that summer is fading into an early Fall pattern as Foothills alluded to.

Has to be some kind of filter. All of his images have that look. I'm curious about it and I've asked him about his camera but he must have missed it.

Hey guys. I use an eight year old Kodak point and shoot camera, but I found a free software on the web that lets me balance the sky against the foreground. The human eye does it automatically, but cameras average out the exposures, and you end up with a white sky, or a very dark foreground, and poor detail. You all can see the difference between live "video" on TV and "film" at the movies. The human eye sees more like live video, with more detail in the shadows, and no glare. I also have a photo processing package that lets me saturate more color if I think it needs it, and add contrast to my images to more approximate the true light. It was also free. I have never used Photoshop, and I don't own any filters. I am an artist. I paint in acylics. One thing I learned from the old masters was that the colors and details seen by the eye have an amazing range, and most modern photographic techniques just don't measure up. I see each of my photos as a work of art, and I try to convey that sense to the viewer. After moving here from Florida, I discovered that this area of North Carolina was very under documented in photographs. I have tried to use my artistic eye to change that, and bring the beauty and wonder of these mountains to everyone. If, in the process, I have given the impression of deception to the viewer, that was not my intent. If I can represent the majesty of the clouds, or the snow, or the hail, or the rain through my work, I hope you will cut me some slack on my artistic license. Following the weather has always been one of my obsessions, and if my work can bring that weather closer to the viewer, then I have succeeded. Here is a photo I made back in June at the summit of 4,000 foot Sugarloaf Mountain in Polk County, North Carolina. This cloud generated heavy wind and hail near Hickory on that afternoon. Vann

post-1004-0-65769700-1312633592.jpg

Hey guys. I use an eight year old Kodak point and shoot camera, but I found a free software on the web that lets me balance the sky against the foreground. The human eye does it automatically, but cameras average out the exposures, and you end up with a white sky, or a very dark foreground, and poor detail. You all can see the difference between live "video" on TV and "film" at the movies. The human eye sees more like live video, with more detail in the shadows, and no glare. I also have a photo processing package that lets me saturate more color if I think it needs it, and add contrast to my images to more approximate the true light. It was also free. I have never used Photoshop, and I don't own any filters. I am an artist. I paint in acylics. One thing I learned from the old masters was that the colors and details seen by the eye have an amazing range, and most modern photographic techniques just don't measure up. I see each of my photos as a work of art, and I try to convey that sense to the viewer. After moving here from Florida, I discovered that this area of North Carolina was very under documented in photographs. I have tried to use my artistic eye to change that, and bring the beauty and wonder of these mountains to everyone. If, in the process, I have given the impression of deception to the viewer, that was not my intent. If I can represent the majesty of the clouds, or the snow, or the hail, or the rain through my work, I hope you will cut me some slack on my artistic license. Following the weather has always been one of my obsessions, and if my work can bring that weather closer to the viewer, then I have succeeded. Here is a photo I made back in June at the summit of 4,000 foot Sugarloaf Mountain in Polk County, North Carolina. This cloud generated heavy wind and hail near Hickory on that afternoon. Vann

Thanks. I think your images are great artistically. I have dabbled in various techniques with my images although I was more into shooting sports. Probably not the best choice for documenting cloud formations on a weather board but thy sure look impressive.

I think with the upcoming cool down, GA will do ok. There's been a tendency for MCC to slide much further south and west than progged all Summer, so now that all the model agree on dropping the heights, and pushing the ridging back west/southwest, that would probaly put the Tenn Valley and GA in a pretty good spot at some point next week. Both major global models have several MCC potentials, surely atleast one will work out, in addition to just scattered PM storms (which have been too minimal in the high heat). I think its atleast a smidge of good news , better chances than lately anyway.

Look at the ring of rain that missed northwest SC today. Perfect setup to do that , as first the mesolow and inflow off the Atlantic combined with extra lift over the NC piedmont, then the circulation around end caused downslope over the Upstate, and the incoming new disturbance or outflow caused convergence and rains in central SC and ne GA. The effects of the living downstream of the Apps...its a precip killer many times.

post-38-0-61472900-1312582772.jpg

I'm happy to report I FINALLY got nailed and was close to the sweet spot for once. I got more rain yesterday than i have had over the last 2+ months. Picked up 2.70 inches. It was an absolute deluge. I should have took some pictures before it started because the storm itself formed right over me and the cloud motions were incredible, as well as very black. And the standing/running water was a beautiful thing to see. Why I didn't think about it I have no idea but it ticks me off I didn't do it lol

FFC was once again slow to respond though, there were some high winds here but I talked to someone this morning that said a little ways up the road from me that comer and the surrounding area had a lot of down trees. Despite eastern madison county being hammered by a very intense storm for nearly an hour, FFC didn't issue a warning until the storm started weakening. Meanwhile, gsp, as usual, was on top of it..and issued warnings for a *weaker* cell to the north in their cwa.

Regardless, I'm just happy I finally got something worthwhile. It's been a long damn time. And what a nice morning for a change, cloudy and cool. Nice to be able to step outside and not sweat to death and get soaking wet in under a minute.

I'm happy to report I FINALLY got nailed and was close to the sweet spot for once. I got more rain yesterday than i have had over the last 2+ months. Picked up 2.70 inches. It was an absolute deluge. I should have took some pictures before it started because the storm itself formed right over me and the cloud motions were incredible, as well as very black. And the standing/running water was a beautiful thing to see. Why I didn't think about it I have no idea but it ticks me off I didn't do it lol

FFC was once again slow to respond though, there were some high winds here but I talked to someone this morning that said a little ways up the road from me that comer and the surrounding area had a lot of down trees. Despite eastern madison county being hammered by a very intense storm for nearly an hour, FFC didn't issue a warning until the storm started weakening. Meanwhile, gsp, as usual, was on top of it..and issued warnings for a *weaker* cell to the north in their cwa.

Regardless, I'm just happy I finally got something worthwhile. It's been a long damn time. And what a nice morning for a change, cloudy and cool. Nice to be able to step outside and not sweat to death and get soaking wet in under a minute.

sweet :thumbsup: i was watching that storm on radar, it looked awesome! also saw some lightining in the distance....heavy stuff went juuuuust to the west of mby

ended up the same here, thunder all around but less than .10 here :(

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

WILSON COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL NOON EDT

* AT 1112 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

TORNADO OVER BLACK CREEK...OR 15 MILES NORTH OF GOLDSBORO...MOVING

NORTHEAST AT 10 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

BLACK CREEK...

STANTONSBURG...

Please don't live under the big dot...nothing good can come from that! Oh, wait, you got slammed with snow recently...never mind :) T

:lol: That might be the last of the snow I see for the next decade, but at least my hope in winter precipitation falling in the se has been renewed :hug: After going so long without it I was starting to think it was just a dream :lol:

I :wub: your pictures

1.26" so far this morning, still backbuilding.

:thumbsup: That's a nice way to start August :)

Woo Hooo! :thumbsup: This gives me hope as I picked up .17 yesterday and not more than a mile from me in every direction had 1-3" :lol: CAE has a 60% chance of heavy rain today and that's better odds than I have had in a long time :hug:

Picked up .70 IMBY but was over in the next town of Washington and they got thumped. Water everywhere flooded roads and some of the heaviest rain I have driven in a couple of years. Water was bubbling up out of the manholes. Dopplar showed close to 2 inches in an hour.

Another day, another rain event.  Had a thundershower that moved right over me.  This makes 3 straight days of rain events during the first week of August.  If only July brought this much relief from the heat.  The thunder out here is quite loud and non-stop despite the storm being further east.

Archived