• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
August Obs.

Psalm 148:8

Pouring now. It just developed all around me.

Yeah, boy! I've gotten 7/8 in the last half hour, or so. I got a huge lightening strike while I was out grinding some cabs at the edge of my open shed. It hit in the trees down by the creek, maybe 1000' away, then the thunder went off over head, and shook loose some of my brain jelly :) My ears rang and the tin shed shook. Then that was it for the booms, just rain here. But SunnySide and Hampton are getting pounded. They are getting what I got every few seconds. Sounds like an artillery barrage up the road! Glad I'm not them. T

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy to report I FINALLY got nailed and was close to the sweet spot for once. I got more rain yesterday than i have had over the last 2+ months. Picked up 2.70 inches.

Glad to hear you finally got a big one. I barely missed a huge rain event yesterday. But ended up with around a quarter.

Another day, another rain event. Had a thundershower that moved right over me. This makes 3 straight days of rain events during the first week of August. If only July brought this much relief from the heat. The thunder out here is quite loud and non-stop despite the storm being further east.

you're racking up. I just got skipped, had a trace while I was gone apparenty. Just experienced the hottest dewpoints I've ever felt. Near the new Duke Energy plant in Cliffside on Houser's Lake, I was weedeating and hedge trimming, and the entire area is in a hole, right on the lake the dewpoints were unbelievable. From 10 am til 3 pm, I've never felt that in my life personally, and never want to again. I'm estimating the td was between 81 and 84 locally. Sweat was streaming off of my entire body, even in spots you rarely sweat, with just the slightest exertion or movement. The property looked nice on the lake, but I wouldn't want to live there. Bugs were swarming, poison ivy and thickets of every tropical plant were just overgrown throughout the place. It was a jungle.

both GFS and ECMWF have a pretty active, interesting and energetic long range coming. The flow undergoes a major shakeup, but I'm not sure what it means, or even why they're doing this . Its atleast a month early. Both have major amplifications, several times.

At this point.....with all the excessive heat....change is good!

In Wilson Co today

An EF 0 tornado touched down late this morning in southern parts of Wilson county.

Estimated time of the tornado was 11:25 am until 11:30 am.

Wind speeds reached 85 mph.

The tornado had a width of 50 to 100 yards, with the length being 3 miles.

The first reports of damage were observed just west of Frank Price Church Road where a mobile home and barn were damaged and several trees downed. Additional trees were downed along and especially south of Jaycross Road between Frank Price Road and Pelt Road.

Four turkey houses on Pelt road were damaged with one barn virtually destroyed. Debris was blown 300 to 400 yards to the east. The tornado appeared to weaken in a wooded area east of Pelt Road. A total of 7 mobile homes had damage with most of the damage minor in nature.

Keep me on the "not finally yet" list...just got back in from watering all my pitiful drought stricken plants. Less than an inch of rain here since July 5th! Even on a day like today, with 60% chance, no dice.

I sure hope that change you speak of Robert means a little moisture for my area!

Not a drop here either, maybe today? Sure do hope Robert is correct! (he usually is :thumbsup:)

While we 'only' had .44" from yesterday's storms, all the very heavy rain upstream from here sure did a number on the Neuse River down the road in Smithfield. Yesterday morning it was at it's normal summer level of 4.50'; this morning it has risen to 13.24'. That's about 2' below flood stage, but still a rather remarkable rise.

reporting in 1.95 inches of rain yesterday!

Congrats! We were in the black hole here. I wish I had kept the rainfall totals estimate from my radar, Gwinnett was surrounded by rain. I watched the very first batch of rain yesterday coming straight for us... only to watch it fall apart 5 miles away and the re-develop just a couple of miles on the other side of us. rolleyes.gif

Starting off very cloudy and dreary today. It stayed very warm overnight due to the cloud cover and I only had a low of 74.4°F at 4:40am, and you can see in my sig what I'm up to now. Today's gotta be my day for some rain, it's been several since we've had any while everyone around me has had at least one day and some have had several. My plants are starting to get dry!

I sure hope that change you speak of Robert means a little moisture for my area!

Not a drop here either, maybe today? Sure do hope Robert is correct! (he usually is :thumbsup:)

Well don't hold my feet to the fire on this, as with any MCC only a hundred to 200 mile swath can get hit, and I think they're will be 1 to 3 of them to come our way this week. Its hard to nail down the track but with sinking westerlies temporarily I was (and still) think GA could be in that track.

GSP mentioned it in their discussion:

HE WAVE WILL BE COLLOCATED WITH A WEAK FRONTAL BNDRY AND

MCS DEVELOPMENT IS LIKELY ALONG THIS BNDRY MON AFTN. THIS ACTIVITY

WILL PROBABLY STAY NORTH OF THE REGION...THOUGH IT COULD CLIP THE

NRN ZONES. IT WILL BE A HOT DAY WITH WESTERLY LLVL DOWNSLOPE FLOW

CONTRIBUTING TO AFTN MAX TEMPS IN THE U90S MANY AREAS EAST OF THE

MTNS. HEAT INDEX VALUES ARE EXPECTED TO REACH ADVISORY CRITERIA OVER

PARTS OF THE UPSTATE AND NE GA. WHILE ISLD TO SCT CONVECTION

SHOULD DEVELOP OVER THE MTNS IN THE AFTN...MOST FOOTHILLS AND

PIEDMONT LOCATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN DRY.

THAT MAY NOT BE THE CASE MONDAY NIGHT. THE MODELS HAVE STRONG LLVL

CONVERGENCE AND HIGH INSTABILITY OVER WRN TN...NRN AR AND SRN MO

LATE MONDAY. WHILE THE FIRST MCS WILL PROBABLY TRACK TO OUR

NORTH...THE MCS THAT DEVELOPS OVER WRN TN LATE MONDAY IS LIKELY TO

MOVE INTO THE FA SOMETIME MONDAY NIGHT.

I got 2/10's of rain yesterday. That's the most I've had in almost a month. This is getting beyond ridiculous. I'm the blue dot on this map..thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'm that small green dot to the sw of CAE...lol I did get lucky last night and was sideswiped by a storm or two that had filled the air for hours with the sound of rumbling thunder while adding .37 in the gauge :D Every little bit helps :wub:

Well don't hold my feet to the fire on this, as with any MCC only a hundred to 200 mile swath can get hit, and I think they're will be 1 to 3 of them to come our way this week. Its hard to nail down the track but with sinking westerlies temporarily I was (and still) think GA could be in that track.

GSP mentioned it in their discussion:

HE WAVE WILL BE COLLOCATED WITH A WEAK FRONTAL BNDRY AND

MCS DEVELOPMENT IS LIKELY ALONG THIS BNDRY MON AFTN. THIS ACTIVITY

WILL PROBABLY STAY NORTH OF THE REGION...THOUGH IT COULD CLIP THE

NRN ZONES. IT WILL BE A HOT DAY WITH WESTERLY LLVL DOWNSLOPE FLOW

CONTRIBUTING TO AFTN MAX TEMPS IN THE U90S MANY AREAS EAST OF THE

MTNS. HEAT INDEX VALUES ARE EXPECTED TO REACH ADVISORY CRITERIA OVER

PARTS OF THE UPSTATE AND NE GA. WHILE ISLD TO SCT CONVECTION

SHOULD DEVELOP OVER THE MTNS IN THE AFTN...MOST FOOTHILLS AND

PIEDMONT LOCATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN DRY.

THAT MAY NOT BE THE CASE MONDAY NIGHT. THE MODELS HAVE STRONG LLVL

CONVERGENCE AND HIGH INSTABILITY OVER WRN TN...NRN AR AND SRN MO

LATE MONDAY. WHILE THE FIRST MCS WILL PROBABLY TRACK TO OUR

NORTH...THE MCS THAT DEVELOPS OVER WRN TN LATE MONDAY IS LIKELY TO

MOVE INTO THE FA SOMETIME MONDAY NIGHT.

Yay! Hope springs eternal, that's for sure :) Here's hoping an MCS hits us head on...

I got 2/10's of rain yesterday. That's the most I've had in almost a month. This is getting beyond ridiculous. I'm the blue dot on this map..thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'm light green, so you've got some good company! Maybe the law of averages will be on our side at some point :)

At this point.....with all the excessive heat....change is good!

Well stated. Any change has to be better, can't see it getting any hotter/drier. Of the past consecutive horrid summers that are becoming mainstay as oppossed to out of the norm, this one takes the cake IMBY. Day after day of sweltering heat . Saw the latest drought update/fyi thought I'd pass along for central NC.

LOCAL RAINFALL SUMMARY (INCHES)

NOTE...RALEIGH-DURHAM AND PIEDMONT TRIAD NORMALS ARE FROM THE

OFFICIAL 30 YEAR...1981-2010 NORMALS. THE FAYETTEVILLE NORMALS ARE

DERIVED FROM THE FAYETTEVILLE PUBLIC WORKS COMMISSION SITE.

FIRST THREE TABLES INCLUDE MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION ONLY.

BEGINNING ACTUAL NORMAL DEPARTURE % NORMAL

RALEIGH-DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (RDU)

LAST 7 DAYS 07/31/2011 5.47 1.02 4.45 536%

LAST 14 DAYS 07/24/2011 7.64 2.13 5.51 359%

LAST 30 DAYS 07/08/2011 8.14 4.66 3.48 175%

LAST 90 DAYS 05/09/2011 13.91 11.64 2.27 120%

LAST 180 DAYS 02/08/2011 21.90 21.86 0.04 100%

LAST 365 DAYS 08/07/2010 39.38 43.34 -3.96 91%

LAST 545 DAYS 02/08/2010 56.38 65.20 -8.82 86%

PIEDMONT TRIAD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (GSO)

LAST 7 DAYS 07/31/2011 0.22 0.98 -0.76 22%

LAST 14 DAYS 07/24/2011 0.69 2.06 -1.37 33%

LAST 30 DAYS 07/08/2011 2.81 4.42 -1.61 64%

LAST 90 DAYS 05/09/2011 9.14 11.58 -2.44 79%

LAST 180 DAYS 02/08/2011 19.03 21.98 -2.95 87%

LAST 365 DAYS 08/07/2010 36.32 42.23 -5.91 86%

LAST 545 DAYS 02/08/2010 57.11 64.21 -7.10 89%

FAYETTEVILLE AIRPORT (FAY)

LAST 7 DAYS 07/31/2011 0.02 1.31 -1.29 2%

LAST 14 DAYS 07/24/2011 0.31 2.71 -2.40 11%

LAST 30 DAYS 07/08/2011 0.45 5.87 -5.42 8%

LAST 90 DAYS 05/09/2011 5.77 14.07 -8.30 41%

LAST 180 DAYS 02/08/2011 13.76 23.14 -9.38 59%

LAST 365 DAYS 08/07/2010 31.60 44.46 -12.86 71%

LAST 545 DAYS 02/08/2010 51.82 67.60 -15.78 77%

both GFS and ECMWF have a pretty active, interesting and energetic long range coming. The flow undergoes a major shakeup, but I'm not sure what it means, or even why they're doing this . Its atleast a month early. Both have major amplifications, several times.

The 12Z GFS today shows quite a bit of amplification as well IMO in the long term. Not the typical August look I would expect. May just be a red herring. Do you think the cool-off long term is legit?

The 12Z GFS today shows quite a bit of amplification as well IMO in the long term. Not the typical August look I would expect. May just be a red herring. Do you think the cool-off long term is legit?

Well we are just a few weeks away from meteorological fall so I don't guess it would be too unusual to see such a pattern. The Dog Days are almost over so it's normal to see it start to cool off in Mid August. I think we deserve a cooler pattern just to make up for all the horrible heat and humidity we've had to endure the past 2 summers.

Well we are just a few weeks away from meteorological fall so I don't guess it would be too unusual to see such a pattern. The Dog Days are almost over so it's normal to see it start to cool off in Mid August. I think we deserve a cooler pattern just to make up for all the horrible heat and humidity we've had to endure the past 2 summers.

I agree. The first Autumn front isn't too far off in the future. This summer has been brutal, but we haven't had it that bad. Dallas is at day 44 of 100o+ temperatures, with many of those days being above 110o . I am really ready for fall and winter, probably just as much as the next guy.

I agree. The first Autumn front isn't too far off in the future. This summer has been brutal, but we haven't had it that bad. Dallas is at day 44 of 100o+ temperatures, with many of those days being above 110o . I am really ready for fall and winter, probably just as much as the next guy.

Yeah, it hasn't been nearly as bad as the folks out west, but it sure would be nice to have 2 or 3 weeks of temps below normal. It seems like week after week of above normal has become the norm.

LOL JQ --- they had almost 10x what we had down here in Clayton. I had .44" total for Fri and Sat.

Edit: I'm sitting at 19.26" YTD

Even my 1.22 yesterday was rare. North of here in Northern Orange/Alamance are going on 4 weeks with only 0.33" yesterday.

I'm starting to think the government is seeding clouds in population centers so we never have to worry about drinking water.

Don't worry though it was miserable outside though after the rain. It was so sticky I felt like I was wearing the weather and didn't need clothes.

Archived