• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August Obs.

Psalm 148:8

And right on cue a severe thunderstorm watch and the KRAX radar dies again.

dual-pole ftw, MHX still humming. Very disheartened to see this watch go up and initiation to me west, still waiting on someone to show up and tarp my roof, been in contact with several people this morning and afternoon, and best guess is anytime :thumbsdown: I would do it myself, but it is 9/12, and too steep for me to walk. Still have not uploaded any pics or vids, been really busy with insurance and repairs today. Wife had a tree into the front of her care, still drivable, but I had to cut it off. Got power back last night, Kinston may not be 90% restored till Friday, ouch... No school again tomorrow, would not be surprised if PCS cancels on Wednesday too as 11/36 schools did not have power as of this am. Stihl 290 Farm Boss getting a workout today!

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Produced from the bands that just moved through, MAN DOWN!!! It fell on my plum tree (red leaves under the limb) and knocked my screen out, so I had to remove it promptly...about a 20 foot limb, picture doesn't do it justice.

vURHk.png

Hail associated with the cell, from a friend on fb:

MRpsf.jpg

WITN has the wall cloud on the webcam on top of the stadium nice long beaver tail but no obvious funnel at this point but the couplet has weakened but the winds are still really nasty. WeatherNC just got a tarp on his roof and this should pretty much destroy that in fact there are blue tarps on roofs all over the place this is so not what we need in this area today....

Anyone notice various trees already turning color/losing color/dropping leaves across the Carolinas? On my drive into work between Kannapolis and uptown Charlotte, I notice that quite a few trees in the forest have yellowed leaves. Even a few are bright red. Isn't this fairly unusual for late August, or am I just forgetting that some species experience "fall" early? It's not like rainfall has been poor in this area, although the past 2 1/2 weeks we haven't seen a drop. I wouldn't think that such a short, albeit complete, dry spell in the midst of what otherwise has been an acceptable precipitation year would be enough to set the trees off like that.

Storms maybe on the way, but in the meantime, that was a heck of an outflow that passed through here from the late afternoon N Raleigh storms... temp has dropped from 90 at 5:15 to 73 now at 8:15. Thunder off in the distance, sprinkles falling. Really hate to see any of these storms encroaching on our eastern counties, with all they already have going on from Irene.

Well, since it's the end of August, I figured I'd post my totals for the month here in NE Hickory, NC:

Max Hi: 98.9

Min Lo: 55.4

Days above 90: 13

Rainfall: 4.34 inches

Not too bad compared to some on the rain front, but here's hoping we get this storm out of the gulf to make it up this way. It's been almost 2 weeks since the last measurable rainfall.

Anyone notice various trees already turning color/losing color/dropping leaves across the Carolinas? On my drive into work between Kannapolis and uptown Charlotte, I notice that quite a few trees in the forest have yellowed leaves. Even a few are bright red. Isn't this fairly unusual for late August, or am I just forgetting that some species experience "fall" early? It's not like rainfall has been poor in this area, although the past 2 1/2 weeks we haven't seen a drop. I wouldn't think that such a short, albeit complete, dry spell in the midst of what otherwise has been an acceptable precipitation year would be enough to set the trees off like that.

I know poplar trees tend to have some leaf drop in August (yellow leaves), but I really haven't seen them do that this year....I did notice that some new leaves have fallen in my yard the past few days.

Well...it looks like CAE broke the hottest summer ever record that was set last year :lol: I'm still waiting on the official statement out of CAE but here is an article by Scott Ryan....

AVG TEMP 2010 - 83.9

AVG TEMP 2011 - 84.2

BTW..Charleston and Savannah broke the record set last year too

By Scott Ryan

News19 Meteorologist

(WLTX) - Wow! We said that just a year ago when 2010's summer smashed all kinds of records, including hottest on record. Amazingly enough, 2011's summer was able to set even more records and claimed the title as the hottest ever.

Now you may be saying "wait a minute, summer isn't done yet." Well, the meteorological summer is classified as the three hottest months of the year: June-July-August. Not only is it a better sampling of the hot months, but it's easier to keep track of than the "solar" seasons which begin and end on different days each year.

Summer settled in early this year (long before June) and didn't let up one bit since late May, giving us a season we won't soon likely forget.

Numerous Records Smashed

While dozens of records were cracked or tied, most of them were high temperature related this year, as opposed to low temperature related from 2010.

There were a whopping 16 days at or above 100, the most since 1993. Columbiamag-glass_10x10.gif also had a record of 70 days at or above 93 degrees, more than double the average of 31 days. Even more impressive, we saw 52 days at or above 95 degrees, eclipsing the record of 51 in 1954 and blitzing the average of 19 per summer.

An astounding 54 nights had lows that failed to fall below 73, compared to the average of just 22. This, like most low temperature records, finished second to last summer. We did manage to have two nights in which the low remained at 80 or above. Typically, this happens only once every 9 years. The low of 82 set on August 4 tied for the highest low temperature ever recorded.

Not Extreme, but Persistent

The summer of 2011 wasn't so much about extremes as it was persistent heat--week after week and month after month of relentless heat. It's not uncommon to have several heat waves in the course of the summer. But given that June, July, and August all ranked as the third hottest ever, it was like one long, unending heat wave for the Midlands. There were only 5 days (out of 92) in which the high remained below 90, and, up until Tuesday, there wasn't a single day below 85.

A Few Records Set

While there were lots of records set over the course of the 3 month period, there were only a handful of daily records set. Two record highs were posted in early August and four record high low temperatures were set this year, which is nothing in comparison to the 15 set the previous summer. Oddly enough, most of our 'extreme' weathermag-glass_10x10.gif was BEFORE the summer even started with a crazy February and a hot April.

2011 Daily Records at Columbia Metro

Record Snow - 1/10/2011 - 3.0"

Record Rain - 2/4/2011 - 2.17"

Record High - 2/22/2011 - 81

Record High - 2/28/2011 - 84

Min Max - 3/28/2011 - 45

Record High - 4/9/2011 - 90

Record High - 4/11/2011 - 89

Max Min - 4/11/2011 - 65

Max Min - 4/24/2011 - 68

Max Min - 4/26/2011 - 67

Max Min - 4/27/2011 - 72

Max Min - 7/24/2011 - 79

Max Min - 7/27/2011 - 77

Record High - 8/2/2011 - 100

Record High - 8/3/2011 - 103

Max Min - 8/4/2011 - 82

Max Min - 8/27/2011 - 80

Not Done Yet

Even though September is finally settling in, the heat isn't ready to exit just yet. In fact, we may be on pace for the hottest year ever on record. As of August 31st, Columbia's average temperature is the third hottest in history (behind 1974 and 1990). This was the result of not only a hot summer, but also a hot April and February too. Even after last year's record-breaking summer, a cold winter pushed the average temperature down to 34th. If the heat streak continues into fall, we may find ourselves setting yet another, more impressive record.

Jan-Aug Average (Rank)

2011 Average 68.25 (3rd Warmest)

2010 Average 66.51 (34th Warmest)

Record 68.85 - (1974)

Archived