• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
August Obs.

Psalm 148:8

well apparently mby also does better with just a 20% chance lol. had a nice shower and got .48" :thumbsup: first substantial rain (sad now that half an inch is back to being "substantial" :rolleyes:) in weeks here.

edited to add: a more significant storm (wind and lightning wise) came through but didnt double the amount by a long shot lol. so far .62 for the day :scooter:

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

96 degrees at my house, but for some reason it doesn't feel that hot to me. Either I'm just used to the heat by now, or the humidity is lower today. Or maybe it's just that the sun angle is getting lower now. This is the hottest day of the month !! I've noticed that when we're going through a dry spell, FFC tends to underestimate high temps and when the ground is really wet FFC tends to overestimate high temps. It's been very dry lately and FFC has consistently underforecasted my high temps by 3-4 degrees every day.

The Taylorsville storm yesterday was at the top of the dzb range on the site I used, in addition to GSP doppler. It was just out of range of all three nearby doppler (GSP RAX CLT terminal). If someone has the images saved could you upload. I could make a gif loop if I got time.Extremely impressive cell and judging by all the hail and the down power lines probably had a strong microburst. This proves once again that cells that are coming over the crest of the northwest mtns of NC and southwest VA have really been devastating cells or lines. Never seen such a destructive year with northwest flow events as this one , for the sliver of western third of NC. There's been a lot of small but intense storms lately, and early on a lot of bow lines.

Pretty sure the storm developed right on the Wilkes/Alexander line then strengthened as it went south to Taylorsville. They were other severe storms in Wilkes but they weakened sharply as that one took over.

Absolutely pouring here in Spartanburg. I remember Robert talking about these downpours that use to start at night and just hang around.

This seems to be one of those here tonight! It has been too long!:weight_lift:

I hope you get nailed. It just started here, but these gust front induced storms are so unpredictable. Who knows. Steering is weak. I haven't seen rain in a while, and certainly nothing that lasts. Just now started to really come down.

Had a very cloudy afternoon, with thunder, but no rain. The storms built around me and one came in from the northwest and oozed around to the east, missing me, and another came in from the west and consolidated just south of me. Looking to Irene to bring some rain. It sure would be something for Goofy to nail this track this far out. If that happened, I'll really look forward to lala land outlooks come winter :) T

It has now slowed down but in an hour we probably had around 1 - 1.5 inches easily. Small storm like yours Robert but it

really came down

well I can't complain..got .69" from this in just a few minutes. Total of .79" today. I wish we could get in some major LARGE masses like just to our east always does though. That can't happen though, unless theres a good southeast flow. Maybe Irene will take the Savannah river track and nail us.

well I can't complain..got .69" from this in just a few minutes. Total of .79" today. I wish we could get in some major LARGE masses like just to our east always does though. That can't happen though, unless theres a good southeast flow. Maybe Irene will take the Savannah river track and nail us.

glad you got something, got about .05" here. Coming home from the upper part of the county I could see an insane lightning show I guess from the storm in Gastonia, constant flashes one after the other.

glad you got something, got about .05" here.

yep, once again the southern part of the county gets hit. Amazing how you and I both miss what hits upper sections around Spindale to Lawndale, but then in the end, a small pop up gets me. Never seen this happen in the years I've lived here (8). Its a fluke. Most of the time 74 gets hit and I don't . But even those are small, like this one.

In other news... MD out for most of NC and a good chunk of SC

mcd2032.gif

"Watch Likely" Not bad considering we are not in the slgt hatch today

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2032

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1245 PM CDT SUN AUG 21 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...SRN VA...NORTH CAROLINA...PARTS OF SOUTH CAROLINA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 211745Z - 211915Z

TRENDS ARE BEING MONITORED FOR AN INCREASING SEVERE THREAT THAT

LIKELY WILL REQUIRE A WW ACROSS AT LEAST PARTS OF SOUTHERN VIRGINIA

WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO.

WESTERLY DEEP LAYER MEAN FLOW IS RATHER MODEST...BUT LOW-LEVEL LAPSE

RATES ARE BECOME STEEP WITH STRONG HEATING...AND MIXED LAYER CAPE

HAS EXCEEDED 2000 J/KG ALONG SURFACE TROUGHING TO THE LEE OF THE

CENTRAL/SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS. SCATTERED VIGOROUS STORM DEVELOPMENT

APPEARS INCREASINGLY LIKELY THROUGH 19-21Z...WITH A GRADUALLY

INCREASING RISK FOR DAMAGING WIND GUSTS...PERHAPS SOME HAIL INTO THE

LATE AFTERNOON HOURS...BENEATH DIFLUENT UPPER FLOW AHEAD OF THE

AMPLIFYING UPSTREAM UPPER TROUGH.

..KERR.. 08/21/2011

ATTN...WFO...AKQ...MHX...LWX...RAH...ILM...RNK...CAE...GSP...

LAT...LON 34608169 35818087 37857854 37217672 35957684 34397939

34038111 34608169

The NWS seems to think Irene will effect our weather, at least here in the Charlotte area. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Friday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy and breezy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a low around 72. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84.

Not nearly as much rain as I had hoped for in North and Central GA today. Today is probably our last decent chance of rain for at least another week. It's been 15 days since I've had any rain so it's getting very dry. Maybe we'll get a tropical system to eventually give us some rain before the season is over. If not, then we could be looking at a very dry fall I'm afraid.

Whereas west Douglas County has had near-constant thunder rumbling for the last hour or so as cells move through.

Not much rain, but the lightning is instense, frequent, and LOUD.

And oooh yeah baby, outflow, nicely behaved outflow. Wonderful blasts of cool air without the inconvenience of tree limbs and solid-wall-o'-water.

Archived