• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August Obs.

Psalm 148:8

I hate what I am seeing in the models tonight- had some hope for rain Thursday but that is looking like the short wave coming in from the NW will be poorly timed so the storms that day may very will end up south of here. Then its dicey for anything after that- I want some rain to make up for the godawful heat we will have to endure this week....

Even if we had better chances of rain, I think those like you and I would still be screwed considering our history this season of being screwed even if there is good to likely pops. Hit 101 here yesterday. Was 102 just down the road in lexington. Expect 102 or 103 today. I hate summer.

Of course this is par for the course now. We never are not in a drought or never not dealing with excessive heat for weeks on end every summer. I know my older relatives don't remember it used to be like this. They all said it would actually rain a lot more frequently in the summer than it does now. And there is strong evidence to support that too. Not in statistics and figures but in the landscape. There is a creek on my property that used to run all year round, except in the driest of periods. It was fed by a spring and that spring dried up completely over the last 10 years. It's been dry for so long, trees grow where the creek bed used to be. So it no longer actually exists. Only if there is a flood does it flow again but never for very long. And ponds that used to never run low except in extreme circumstances, and normally it would be years apart, now run low every single year. I think the exception in recent memory was the year we had all that tropical activity.

It's absolutely depressing on a number of levels and it's especially hard on us weather weenies. :axe:

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if we had better chances of rain, I think those like you and I would still be screwed considering our history this season of being screwed even if there is good to likely pops. Hit 101 here yesterday. Was 102 just down the road in lexington. Expect 102 or 103 today. I hate summer.

Of course this is par for the course now. We never are not in a drought or never not dealing with excessive heat for weeks on end every summer. I know my older relatives don't remember it used to be like this. They all said it would actually rain a lot more frequently in the summer than it does now. And there is strong evidence to support that too. Not in statistics and figures but in the landscape. There is a creek on my property that used to run all year round, except in the driest of periods. It was fed by a spring and that spring dried up completely over the last 10 years. It's been dry for so long, trees grow where the creek bed used to be. So it no longer actually exists. Only if there is a flood does it flow again but never for very long. And ponds that used to never run low except in extreme circumstances, and normally it would be years apart, now run low every single year. I think the exception in recent memory was the year we had all that tropical activity.

It's absolutely depressing on a number of levels and it's especially hard on us weather weenies. :axe:

I'm on board with you...hate this friggin weather with a passion...hope for some evenin out this winter

Well, unless we see rain today, our official low in Columbus stands at 81! This would tie for the second warmest overnight low ever and is the warmest we've ever been for August 3rd. Also, we are likely to break our record high of 98 this afternoon.... It's not everyday you can say you broke two record maximums in one day :arrowhead:

Wow, my location at KMGE just jumped 5 degrees to 87 with a HI of 95 at the 9:55 hour.... Three degrees ahead of yesterday. I think KMGE joins the 100 club today, we hit 96 yesterday with a period of steady temps due to the clouds yesterday afternoon.

GFS says 99 so does FFC

Yeah I think you and KATL break 100 today. (They're at 86).

Hmmm....Wonder what this will look like in 3 hours? Possible heat buster on either side of the Apps?

SPC has slight risk for NC mountains and all of Virgina...but zilch southeast of CLT to RDU line.

HRRR and RR weaken it as it crosses the mountains, but with some precip spilling over. Hires NNM and ARW appear to be down on NCEP site.

FFC now going with 101 for Atlanta this afternoon. Both KMGE and KATL are at 92 at the noon update, both locations were not at 92 until the 2PM update yesterday. Everything is still on track for those 100 degree temps to verify in the Metro today.

edit : 1PM update :KMGE and KATL both at 94, both 4 degrees ahead of yesterday at this time. :devilsmiley::sizzle:

94/70 HI 100

Poor Texas and Arkansas Midwest, Fort Smith was at 108 on their 11:55AM update, forecast to go 114. Really surprised there is not a thread dedicated to that historic heat wave this summer.

KATL at 94 as of the 12:52 update.

Some stations on weather underground on the north side of Atlanta are already over 97.....

Reporting 97 here though there are a couple of stations in Gaston county showing 102.  Today doesn't feel all that bad, especially if you're like me and have a huge shady area with a nice breeze blowing constantly.  Almost feels like beach weather here. :)

Speaking of which, I seriously need to consider a trip down to Carolina Beach sometime.  Haven't went there since 2008...

KATL at 97... Really only 1 more hour of good heating before things level off. It'll be close.

I think Hartsfield will do it. They are 6 degrees ahead of yesterday when they hit 96. KMGE is still at 95 only two degrees ahead of yesterday when they hit 96. I think KMGE tops out at 97-98 and Atlanta goes 99-101, very close indeed. To note though both places had large jumps between the 3 and 4 o'clock hours possibly topping out between 4 and 5.....

Both the 12Z gfs and 12Z Euro have KATL at +24 C as of 8PM this evening. Also, the 8AM 850 was ~+21 C, which is not far from the 0Z gfs and 0Z Euro's 12 hour forecast. So, even if the 850 verifies to be only +23 C (that would still add up to the hottest to date), mostly sunny skies and westerly winds all add up to KATL getting their first 100 F today. Let's see if they actually make it. I'm confident that today will verify to be the hottest to date at 98+ F.

Why is it so incredibly hard for Atlanta to hit 100 ? In the last 2 summers, Atlanta has had a total of 145 days of 90+ and it still hasn't hit 100 !!

Don't forget the 1K foot elevation. Also, the KATL sensor may actually be way up in the air (based on my longterm memory..I think it is way more than 6 feet above the ground).

Both the 12Z gfs and 12Z Euro have KATL at +24 C as of 8PM this evening. Also, the 8AM 850 was ~+21 C, which is not far from the 0Z gfs and 0Z Euro's 12 hour forecast. So, even if the 850 verifies to be only +23 C (that would still add up to the hottest to date), mostly sunny skies and westerly winds all add up to KATL getting their first 100 F today. Let's see if they actually make it. I'm confident that today will verify to be the hottest to date at 98+ F.

I suppose it's possible they will go higher to 100 but that appears less and less likely wouldn't you say?

Archived