joxey
34 years ago today

ORH_wxman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AMEG

As Most Events Go

Interesting how Providence got about 7 inches and Boston got less than an inch. I wonder if a more favorable track would have led to more widespread heavy snows-- this was a coastal hugger wasn't it?

West central Mass-- how is it on the east side there's like 20" and on the west side there's like 15" but it looks like no snow fell in between? Does this have to do with the terrain?

Yes the CT river valley being a low elevation prevented little if any snow to accumulate. The ORH Hills were also closer to the better dynamics and forcing which was imperative for this storm. KCON was actually rain during this storm because they didn't have the dynamical cooling necessary to keep areas frozen. It's also the reason why areas in RI such as near and especially just north of PVD had more snow than KBOS, but I know parts of BOS just away from the coast had several inches.

Answers what happened to me. I was 2-1/2.

It was a true blue bomb special. So many trees and branches were brought down. There is very little in terms of photos from this storm that I have found on the interweb thing. Just one from CT... Where we lived in Foxboro, it was pretty much fully leafed out and everything was bent over and snapped. Snow was gone in a day or 2.

Can't imagine getting the 20" that Princeton (I think) got.

I had some wet snowflakes mixed in with the rain that was falling in Brooklyn where I lived...But the flakes were big and you could see it was snowing...I don't remember if there were any ice pellets mixed in...Eleven years earlier in 1966 a storm brought snow to parts of the east...

You can nicely see the ENE flow upslope axis from NW RI up the ORH Hills. That's always a little component that helps cool the column just that extra .5C and always seems to help those areas jackpot in marginal events, before downsloping as you get towards central CT.

I still can't really fathom that event... who was the 20" in central MA?

You can nicely see the ENE flow upslope axis from NW RI up the ORH Hills. That's always a little component that helps cool the column just that extra .5C and always seems to help those areas jackpot in marginal events, before downsloping as you get towards central CT.

I still can't really fathom that event... who was the 20" in central MA?

Princeton Mass.

Yeah I'd bet the valley to my west had little to nothing

Guys, we like snow around here. We get it -

I tell you what, in August, someone should REALLY nail this down by starting a thread that goes, "34 years and 57.4 days ago it snowed in May".

J/k Will... Serioiusly, I can't from here, but this would be more useful if there was some Met analysis included, charts, and explanation and so forth. There is plenty of that can be gleaned for doing that at the NCEP libraries that are accessible to the public. You need Deja Vu installed but that is free-ware.

btw, did anyone notice that bona fide 06z heat ridge, ...first robustly modeled as such, on the extended GFS? That thing is a cooker! At 360 hours out it is a veritable certainty, too

Guys, we like snow around here. We get it -

I tell you what, in August, someone should REALLY nail this down by starting a thread that goes, "34 years and 57.4 days ago it snowed in May".

lol...I think this is the first "May 9-10th, 1977" thread on this board though.

Anyway, I wasn't born yet. Would have been another valley non-event that I would have lived through.

5.5 inches at my house down in the Mid Hudson Valley (38 miles below ALB) and only 245 feet asl. Leafed out branches snow laden down the ground, etc. As you can see the amounts just west in the Catskills were surreal so the valley did get much less....but not bad for May 9th. :) I think it was 70 the day before.

The map shows 6" around here, but I think some "smoothing" of the snow contours is going on there and knowing this climate I wouldn't be surprised if my current location did better than that.

May 9-10, 1977

may1977snowfall.png

lol...I think this is the first "May 9-10th, 1977" thread on this board though.

Anyway, I wasn't born yet. Would have been another valley non-event that I would have lived through.

I'm just ribbing the effort for fun, but... I can assure you, it is NOT that first thread about snow in May and/or June and/or July and/or August and/or September (particularly that event).

For the record I do think there is too much snow lust at times, where it is easy to visualize the poster with dreamy doey watering eyes that couldn't be any sadder than a scorned 17 year old that can't figure out why she/he doesn't love him/her back - when there is no hope of snowing in June in the first place. Hello.

I guess the occasional heat wave and a once in a 500 year EF4 in Worcester doesn't require much conversation, when in all fairness snow pretty much is the big ticket discussion item up in this neck in the woods. I do understand that. Just like a forum in Oklahoma might focus on convection.

I'm just ribbing the effort for fun, but... I can assure you, it is NOT that first thread about snow in May and/or June and/or July and/or August and/or September (particularly that event).

For the record I do think there is too much snow lust at times, where it is easy to visualize the poster with dreamy doey watering eyes that couldn't be any sadder than a scorned 17 year old that can't figure out why she/he doesn't love him/her back - when there is no hope of snowing in June in the first place. Hello.

I guess the occasional heat wave and a once in a 500 year EF4 in Worcester doesn't require much conversation, when in all fairness snow pretty much is the big ticket discussion item up in this neck in the woods. I do understand that. Just like a forum in Oklahoma might focus on convection.

By all means start a thread on the met aspects of the tornado, or Sonoran heat releases. Seriously. This time of year is pretty boring wx-wise and I would love to learn more from reading met discos on interesting events/phenomena...

John, you put some of the best met info on the board. I can't really add much except recollections, goofy questions, and the occasional jab at Blizz/BIrv/MRG

Correct... snow, winter storms, and maybe strong rainy nor'easters are about as exciting as it gets in these parts. There's literally nothing to talk about right now, and I can still see snow out my window (albeit half a vertical mile above my apartment), so why not hang onto that "snow lust" as long as possible? To most there is something childish and magical about snow... that "wonderlust" is missing when all we are talking about is a day 10 chance of some hot weather. But come fall and a day 10 chance for the first flakes, you've got a 10-page thread in a day.

Archived