joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
34 years ago today

ORH_wxman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The map shows 6" around here, but I think some "smoothing" of the snow contours is going on there and knowing this climate I wouldn't be surprised if my current location did better than that.

I was thinking that... I'm positive that map is quite low across most of western Albany County and your area. For one, the Heldebergs would upslope out of the Hudson Valley going from 200-400ft elevations to 1,000-2,000ft elevations. I'm sure Albany County locations like Rensselaerville at over 2,000ft, Bern & Knox area at 1,000-1,700ft, Medusa, Preston Hollow, etc all had over a foot given other totals on that map.

The occasional hurricane that threatens to come within 500 miles of us can be mildly entertaining as well...

This is very true... its mildly entertaining up until the point when you realize there's absolutely no chance that it'll hit or come close to hitting. But it is fun when its down off the Carolina coast and 1 of the 17 ensembles of the Japanese model show a Cape Cod hit.

Correct... snow, winter storms, and maybe strong rainy nor'easters are about as exciting as it gets in these parts. There's literally nothing to talk about right now, and I can still see snow out my window (albeit half a vertical mile above my apartment), so why not hang onto that "snow lust" as long as possible? To most there is something childish and magical about snow... that "wonderlust" is missing when all we are talking about is a day 10 chance of some hot weather. But come fall and a day 10 chance for the first flakes, you've got a 10-page thread in a day.

This may be less interesting to folks - not sure - but there is something under the radar going on that has piqued my attention; it's this growing string of sensible spring weather days. This has been occuring despite the complexion of the models now dating back to the end of April. For all intents and purposes the deterministic model runs AND the teleconnectors ( in apparent agreement with a theme;) were arguing for the first 2 to perhaps 3 weeks of May as being flushably in the toilet noose weather. I'll take dodging some afternoon pea-hailers after a 65-70F late morning in May any day, and that is about the worst the weather really has been over this first 10 days of May.

What was a appearing like a text book New England dealt spring back in April has sensibly not verified that way really at all in my estimation.

So... based on that trend, I'm looking at the runs today and seeing that speghetti logic look to the geopotential medium and wondering if we should bet on odds that things will pan out better than we think here -

This may be less interesting to folks - not sure - but there is something under the radar going on that has piqued my attention; it's this growing string of sensible spring weather days. This has been occuring despite the complexion of the models now dating back to the end of April. For all intents and purposes the deterministic model runs AND the teleconnectors ( in apparent agreement with a theme;) were arguing for the first 2 to perhaps 3 weeks of May as being flushably in the toilet noose weather. I'll take dodging some afternoon pea-hailers after a 65-70F late morning in May any day, and that is about the worst the weather really has been over this first 10 days of May.

What was a appearing like a text book New England dealt spring back in April has sensibly not verified that way really at all in my estimation.

So... based on that trend, I'm looking at the runs today and seeing that speghetti logic look to the geopotential medium and wondering if we should bet on odds that things will pan out better than we think here -

Remember how great the -NAO looked a couple of weeks ago?? Pretty pathetic now, and actually more like a +NAO on the ensembles. The only real ridging is north of AK.

Remember how great the -NAO looked a couple of weeks ago?? Pretty pathetic now, and actually more like a +NAO on the ensembles. The only real ridging is north of AK.

Yeah... and Tip, you're correct... the next 7-10 days actually look fantastic for outdoor activities, yard work, etc. It has definitely snuck up on me.

I smell a new thread in the making so we can keep this one about the May snowfall event...

This is very true... its mildly entertaining up until the point when you realize there's absolutely no chance that it'll hit or come close to hitting. But it is fun when its down off the Carolina coast and 1 of the 17 ensembles of the Japanese model show a Cape Cod hit.

So you're saying we have a chance!

May 2002 was cool, too!

5" IMBY on the 18th

The evolution of this system was incredible. I believe it started out as a big arm or piece of a PV near Hudson bay and then broke off and moved south under SNE where it formed like a 5 closed contour upper level low.

Here's one 500mb plot...its a little small but you can get the idea.

may77.jpg

I guess I got like 5-6" here. That would be so cool. Lets make it happen again soon.

Probably between 6" and 7"... Framingham got 5" on that plot. The old Sterling coop at like 450 feet reported that 6.7" but that was a notious "once per day" coop and they probably didn't report until the morning of the 10th after the snow had settled. Hard to say exactly who got what in between the coops and even the coops themselves that reported once daily. Reading old newspaper articles can often be more useful than the coop reports on older events because they seem to report a lot more amounts.

Probably between 6" and 7"... Framingham got 5" on that plot. The old Sterling coop at like 450 feet reported that 6.7" but that was a notious "once per day" coop and they probably didn't report until the morning of the 10th after the snow had settled. Hard to say exactly who got what in between the coops and even the coops themselves that reported once daily. Reading old newspaper articles can often be more useful than the coop reports on older events because they seem to report a lot more amounts.

Do you have any pics or know of any websites that have them? I only can find one from Winchester, CT

Do you have any pics or know of any websites that have them? I only can find one from Winchester, CT

I don't have any of the old pics online. I've seen them in old newspapers. There was a good one of Boston Common and there was like 4-5" of paste on the tulips. They definitely had a lot more than the 0.5" that Logan Airport reported.

My grandparents had pics from ORH and it looked like a war zone with tree branches down everywhere. I wish I knew where those pics were now though. They have them somewhere in a box probably. It was like 10 years ago when I saw them.

Was 11 years old and just starting to be a weather geek at the time. I remember it had been an early spring and many trees had leafed out, only to come crashing down, in Lexington where I grew up. My Dad was marooned for a day at a friend's house just a mile and a half away.

Next time I can remember that many trees down was in the big ice storm in ORH county, about 3 years ago!

I can only imagine the excitement on here when there ever is a hit on LI or SNE of lets say a cat 2 cane... One day it will happen again, but I guess the historic averages say it is maybe a once every 30 years thing. You would be a very frustrated wx weenie if your main interest was New England hurricanes.

Gloria and Bob hit inside a six year period. Now the law of averages catching up and it's been 20 years ...maybe we have to go 30 years until it happens again.

I was at Greenfield Comm Coll- the rain began to mix w/large flakes around lunch. I skedaddled up Rt. 2. Ground accumulation began at the old Mohawk Mt. ski area. Turned around west of Berkshire East because of poor driving.

Went to the height of Rt 2 at Florida, MA the next day. 1.5 ft. by my recollection.

Weenies have the sort of memories that record indelibly the time and place for cool stuff like big snow in mid May.

Regular people (those dullards & mopes) just do this for presidential assasinations, moon landings and exploding rockets type events. Anyone can remember those!

We know what's cool.

Vim Toot!

I don't have any of the old pics online. I've seen them in old newspapers. There was a good one of Boston Common and there was like 4-5" of paste on the tulips. They definitely had a lot more than the 0.5" that Logan Airport reported.

My grandparents had pics from ORH and it looked like a war zone with tree branches down everywhere. I wish I knew where those pics were now though. They have them somewhere in a box probably. It was like 10 years ago when I saw them.

When we're there again late summer/early fall chasing the cat 3 cane..we'll see if we can find them

I was at Greenfield Comm Coll- the rain began to mix w/large flakes around lunch. I skedaddled up Rt. 2. Ground accumulation began at the old Mohawk Mt. ski area. Turned around west of Berkshire East because of poor driving.

Went to the height of Rt 2 at Florida, MA the next day. 1.5 ft. by my recollection.

Weenies have the sort of memories that record indelibly the time and place for cool stuff like big snow in mid May.

Regular people (those dullards & mopes) just do this for presidential assasinations, moon landings and exploding rockets type events. Anyone can remember those!

We know what's cool.

Vim Toot!

Toot! you were in my area! Nice storm here.

Archived