• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
34 years ago today

ORH_wxman

Toot! you were in my area! Nice storm here.

My best buds were up in Plainfield & Savoy. 420 of them.

I was the king of Colrain. Still did honors at GCC. Not that that says much but I never miss a chance to blow my own horn.

Sam Fried & Bruce Davidson ring bells?

Vim Toot!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best buds were up in Plainfield & Savoy. 420 of them.

I was the king of Colrain. Still did honors at GCC. Not that that says much but I never miss a chance to blow my own horn.

Sam Fried & Bruce Davidson ring bells?

Vim Toot!

Plainfield is about 15 minutes from here. Lots of buds live here on the East Slope.. Don't know Sam Fried but Bruce Davidson rings a bell but can't say I know him.

Probably between 6" and 7"... Framingham got 5" on that plot. The old Sterling coop at like 450 feet reported that 6.7" but that was a notious "once per day" coop and they probably didn't report until the morning of the 10th after the snow had settled. Hard to say exactly who got what in between the coops and even the coops themselves that reported once daily. Reading old newspaper articles can often be more useful than the coop reports on older events because they seem to report a lot more amounts.

Yeah its tough to find accurate reports. I've already thought about what I'll do about measuring when I'm in college in a little over a year (lol). Ive asked my parents before to take measurements (for example when I was away in N.H this winter for 3 days and we had a small storm) and they have no interest being caught outside measuring snow. laugh.gif

I guess I'll just use pns etc. when I'm not home b/c I would like to have records for here for as long as I'm in the area.

Yeah its tough to find accurate reports. I've already thought about what I'll do about measuring when I'm in college in a little over a year (lol). Ive asked my parents before to take measurements (for example when I was away in N.H this winter for 3 days and we had a small storm) and they have no interest being caught outside measuring snow. laugh.gif

I guess I'll just use pns etc. when I'm not home b/c I would like to have records for here for as long as I'm in the area.

Keeping track of Dobbs Ferry snowfall was hard for me when I was at Middlebury; you spend the majority of life at college so it can be tough to maintain an accurate record. You also have to decide whether you want to keep track of snow at college, at home, or both....decisions, decisions!

I didn't care enough to keep track of snowfall in 06-07 and 07-08, but by Winter 08-09, I wanted to have an accurate record. This was a particularly hard year for me to measure snow at home since I was away in Chile during second semester. However, I measured all of the events I was home for, like 12/19, 2/3, 2/18, and then I supplemented these measurements with my parents' measurements and PNS reports. They were pretty faithful about taking a look with the ruler for me, although I can't be sure if their measurements were 100% accurate. I did check the PNS for every snow report to confirm, and it matched up pretty well, with my house being a tiny bit snowier since it's at 350' elevation, whereas most of the Westchester sites are in downtown areas closer to 100-200' at most. My house in Dobbs Ferry had 45" that year, give or take an inch or so. That's about 120% of the long-term average, which downtown is 36" and probably 37-38" at my house.

Winter 09-10 was a bit easier; even though I was still at college, I had my dad's old Mazda Protege and was able to drive home for storms. I was already home for Christmas break for the 12/19 storm, so I was able to measure the puny 8" I received in that bust. When I heard there was going to be a big Nor'easter on 2/10, I drove home four hours for the snowstorm, unsure how much longer I'd be near enough my hometown to do this. I recorded 12.5" in that Nor'easter, not as much as the Mid-Atlantic but still very enjoyable; I left early the next morning with the February sun blazing on the new-fallen snow, just a gorgeous winter scene here in Westchester. Ironically, after worrying that 2/10 was going to be my last snowstorm in my hometown, I was forced to drive home again just two weeks later. I originally wasn't sure about going since the GFS/NAM were showing the 0C line right over my house during the Snowicane, but I decided to take the chance. I had classes all day and homework to do that night, so I didn't leave campus until midnight, arriving home a bit after 4am. I crashed as it started snowing lightly, and woke up to heavy snow...26" later, I took this picture, which illustrates what a good decision I made in driving home:

Keeping track of Dobbs Ferry snowfall was hard for me when I was at Middlebury; you spend the majority of life at college so it can be tough to maintain an accurate record. You also have to decide whether you want to keep track of snow at college, at home, or both....decisions, decisions!

I didn't care enough to keep track of snowfall in 06-07 and 07-08, but by Winter 08-09, I wanted to have an accurate record. This was a particularly hard year for me to measure snow at home since I was away in Chile during second semester. However, I measured all of the events I was home for, like 12/19, 2/3, 2/18, and then I supplemented these measurements with my parents' measurements and PNS reports. They were pretty faithful about taking a look with the ruler for me, although I can't be sure if their measurements were 100% accurate. I did check the PNS for every snow report to confirm, and it matched up pretty well, with my house being a tiny bit snowier since it's at 350' elevation, whereas most of the Westchester sites are in downtown areas closer to 100-200' at most. My house in Dobbs Ferry had 45" that year, give or take an inch or so. That's about 120% of the long-term average, which downtown is 36" and probably 37-38" at my house.

Winter 09-10 was a bit easier; even though I was still at college, I had my dad's old Mazda Protege and was able to drive home for storms. I was already home for Christmas break for the 12/19 storm, so I was able to measure the puny 8" I received in that bust. When I heard there was going to be a big Nor'easter on 2/10, I drove home four hours for the snowstorm, unsure how much longer I'd be near enough my hometown to do this. I recorded 12.5" in that Nor'easter, not as much as the Mid-Atlantic but still very enjoyable; I left early the next morning with the February sun blazing on the new-fallen snow, just a gorgeous winter scene here in Westchester. Ironically, after worrying that 2/10 was going to be my last snowstorm in my hometown, I was forced to drive home again just two weeks later. I originally wasn't sure about going since the GFS/NAM were showing the 0C line right over my house during the Snowicane, but I decided to take the chance. I had classes all day and homework to do that night, so I didn't leave campus until midnight, arriving home a bit after 4am. I crashed as it started snowing lightly, and woke up to heavy snow...26" later, I took this picture, which illustrates what a good decision I made in driving home:

hotdog.gif

But yeah I won't actually measure every event but when I'm home I'll measure there and at college I'll measure there and then I'll use PNS/etc. to supplement. That 2/26 storm is still just so amazing. Do you have a totals map for that? I saw 100% rain, but I know it was a sharp cut-off near the MA/NY border.

hotdog.gif

But yeah I won't actually measure every event but when I'm home I'll measure there and at college I'll measure there and then I'll use PNS/etc. to supplement. That 2/26 storm is still just so amazing. Do you have a totals map for that? I saw 100% rain, but I know it was a sharp cut-off near the MA/NY border.

I don't have a totals map, but I do know one of the highest amounts was in Highland Mills, NY which received 32" from the storm. Harriman State Park got absolutely buried in the 2/25 Snowicane...I wouldn't be surprised if some of those elevations above 1000' had nearly 40", given that the storm was highly elevation dependent due to warm BL temperatures. Dutchess County also got destroyed; here is a picture from Wikipedia of the storm in Dutchess County, which starts about 30 miles north of my house and includes the city of Poughkeepsie as well as lots of hilly, semi-rural terrain:

You can see that the pattern was very extreme for the 2/25 Snowicane, with an immense -NAO/-AO block, indeed so big that it restricted our flow of arctic air (as well as the fact that a strong Niño warms the globe up significantly). In any case, we had a massive Greenland block, but instead of a regular 50/50 Low, there were actually high heights over the Canadian Maritimes. Often, a high pressure over the Canadian Maritimes with a closed low to its south causes a stall and heavy precipitation; this regime is more associated with rainstorms, but it occurred in the 2/25/2010 Nor'easter as well. This may have been a reason for the retrograde motion of the system, which left places to the East in the warm sector while cold winds blasted in from the SW. This was the first time I had witnessed blizzard conditions on SW winds, very odd. Here is the 500mb anomaly map, definitely up there with 5/10/1977 for extreme patterns in the jet stream:

And yes, it takes a serious weenie to drive 500 miles to see a snowstorm. However, it was close to the weekend, and I had no class on Fridays, so I was able to stay home 4 days and spend some time with my family and friends. It was a harrowing drive, unfortunately, as Middlebury had just had a 20" snowstorm on February 24th, and Route 30 going down VT's Champlain Valley was quite hazardous, especially at night when you couldn't see the slick/snowy spots. I was thinking about giving up, but I vowed to continue since the storm looked so unusual and was bound to be rain in Middlebury. Once I made it to I-87, the road was fine and I sailed home at 80mph. It was a great decision because the storm was probably a one in 200 year event, given the low latitude at which it retrograded and the deep low at 972mb. It's quite common for systems to retrograde in the Gulf of Maine and Canadian Maritimes, but to have a low pressure retrograde to the CT/RI border is very unusual from a meteorological perspective. I believe this storm was a partial triple-phaser with a lobe of the polar vortex sitting over Central Canada becoming involved in the system.

In any case, I woke at 11am to about 3" of snow on the ground. Unlike HPN (Westchester County Airport, 10 miles to my northeast) or Nanuet (across the Hudson River at same latitude), I never mixed during the day. There was literally a blob of pink/white amidst the rain sitting over Dobbs Ferry on the Intellicast Radar; it was so weird. The flakes became very big at one point, and I was worried about changing over, but then it just started pounding snow. It was snowing an estimated 3"/hour, and this went on all day and most of the night with winds increasing to 35mph gusts. The scenery was just incredible with the ridiculously deep snow, the low visibility, and then an eerie pink light in the sky following the storm. It was one of the best days of my life as the town was immersed in a blanket of white and few ventured outside. The total of 26" (I believe 18" or so was recorded downtown at lower elevation, and probably measuring just once/day...very important distinction in this case since the wet snow melted quickly, and lower elevations in developed settings were getting low accumulations with temps stuck around 34F, compared to my house in the woods up higher probably around 32.5F or so) was the largest snowstorm I'd seen, and may be the largest since March 1960 for Dobbs Ferry. It was just as impressive as the January '96 blizzard, just amazing, although the destruction of the weaker trees/bushes was pronounced as well. Here are a couple more shots, I keep a big collection on my computer/Facebook so I will always remember:

Archived