• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Instead of Snow We Warm Sector

CT Rain

Interesting about the Euro ensembles.. Do they do any error tracking??

the current GFS suite has an on going negative bias at D4 that only balloons to -1SD by D10... this bias has persisted for a month now, too. It's enough to presume any such GFS mean for such behavior could quite plausibly be overdone. not sure on the Euro though...

I'm not sure, but I know HPC likely runs and error bias.

In any case, looking at the anomalies..the EC ensembles seem a little further west and sw with the -NAO ridge. Perhaps that's why they seem a little more aggressive. However, the -NAO isn't a lock for crappy weather. Other things such as ridge-trough placements in the CONUS will also have a say on what happens here. Last year had one of the nicest springs with a -NAO, but we had strong se ridging too. Days like today with erly flow, but lots of sunshine are just fine imo. If we have that...no complaints here.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were they in that August heat of 1977? that was 104F routinely around the area on at least one afternoon...

I think you are thinking of August 1975...the heat wave that broke the all time state record with 107F in both Chester, MA and New Bedford. ORH "only" got to 96F in that IIRC.

I think you are thinking of August 1975...the heat wave that broke the all time state record with 107F in both Chester, MA and New Bedford. ORH "only" got to 96F in that IIRC.

Those both seem puzzling to me. A high of 107F at Chester (600' or so) and EWB? I know EWB can really heat up with a w-wnw wind, but you'd think with temps that high...the south coast seabreeze would kick in..even just a weak one. I certainly would never think of those places as being so hot..but then again I think it was HYA that got to 101F in 2000 or 2001? Perhaps it was earlier than that...not sure of the year.

Those both seem puzzling to me. A high of 107F at Chester (600' or so) and EWB? I know EWB can really heat up with a w-wnw wind, but you'd think with temps that high...the south coast seabreeze would kick in..even just a weak one. I certainly would never think of those places as being so hot..but then again I think it was HYA that got to 101F in 2000 or 2001? Perhaps it was earlier than that...not sure of the year.

I'd imagine the WNW/NW flow was fairly strong as to not allow any sea breezes to penetrate from the south coast in that area. PVD often will furnace too if the conditions are right. It was probably a perfect setup.

From accuweather about 8/2/1975:

An asterisk denotes an all time record high:Boston, MA: 102 (tied for 2nd all time)

Portland, ME: 103*

Providence, RI: 104*

Bangor, ME:102 (3rd all time)

Burlington, VT: 99(tied for 3rd all time)

Pease Air Force Base (Portsmouth), NH: 102*

Concord, NH: 101 (tied for 2nd all time)

I'd imagine the WNW/NW flow was fairly strong as to not allow any sea breezes to penetrate from the south coast in that area. PVD often will furnace too if the conditions are right. It was probably a perfect setup.

April 74 It was even in the 90 s at the beaches, went swimming in Misquamicut and got the worst ice cream headache ever. Astonishing week of summer in April, the sand was even mid summer hot. Crazy week in RI, heavy heavy partying with no summer cops.

Yeah, but then I think of days like that and usually wrn mass is just a bit cooler, but 107F in Chester. What an absolute sauna of an atmosphere. I'd believe the EWB before Chester.

I remember "Hot Saturday" and I'm almost sure that it is a misprint in the record books that lives on. It wasn't EWB, it was BED. Incidentally ACK hit 100F that day.

Yep, elevation snow chances appear fleeting at the moment. In fact, that whole 3 days or 40s and rain for lower elevation vibe is all but evaporated in the current guidance. Most are too progressive with the trough for that, showing now.... quite interestingly, a chance for a nice spring weekend in the 50s and 60s from roof top to sea-shores.

I, for one, could not be happier.

Also, something nicely educational has emerged over the last 24 hours, demonstrating how shortening wavelengths ( seasonally ) makes a

negatice NAO correlation different for SNE. Take a look here: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Notice the generalized positive anomalies in the N Atlantic Basin, BUT, also take note of the how short the wave-lengths are, and that despite the ridging in the northern latitudes we have a mid level circulation that argues of nice weather evolving locally. If a closed vortex in the west Atl wobbles too far west, eh, but... as is, not a bad vibe.

Yep, elevation snow chances appear fleeting at the moment. In fact, that whole 3 days or 40s and rain for lower elevation vibe is all but evaporated in the current guidance. Most are too progressive with the trough for that, showing now.... quite interestingly, a chance for a nice spring weekend in the 50s and 60s from roof top to sea-shores.

I, for one, could not be happier.

Also, something nicely educational has emerged over the last 24 hours, demonstrating how shortening wavelengths ( seasonally ) makes a

negatice NAO correlation different for SNE. Take a look here: http://www.meteo.psu...0z/hgtcomp.html

Notice the generalized positive anomalies in the N Atlantic Basin, BUT, also take note of the how short the wave-lengths are, and that despite the ridging in the northern latitudes we have a mid level circulation that argues of nice weather evolving locally. If a closed vortex in the west Atl wobbles too far west, eh, but... as is, not a bad vibe.

Yeah Scooter pie and I were discussing this in the SNE thread. The cool wet pattern seems to have vanished on both op and ensemble packages and instead we see 70 ish type weather west of ORH and 60is near the water.

Yeah Scooter pie and I were discussing this in the SNE thread. The cool wet pattern seems to have vanished on both op and ensemble packages and instead we see 70 ish type weather west of ORH and 60is near the water.

such is the way it goes in the season of cut-offs when everything tightens up and shortens. they can end up as massive disasters if they are in the wrong place, or you can end up in the perfect spot on the periphery and have several days of decent weather. like scooter said, all you really need is sunshine this time of year. sunday was basically 50F at my house, but the offshore cut-off was far enough east that all it did was provide a "dry" onshore flow. there was plenty of subsidence and deep blue skies. the 50F felt like 70F when the wind slackened off at times. strong May sun FTW.

that massive cut-off the euro has from day 6/7 onward way offshore...if that thing materialized 300 miles further west, we'd have mass wrist cuttings, but in that position verbatim, we'd be mainly ok for that stretch.

you guys can thank me for the nice weather. i put down grass seed this past weekend which pretty much guarantees warm and dry weather.

you guys can thank me for the nice weather. i put down grass seed this past weekend which pretty much guarantees warm and dry weather.

That's too funny...did the same thing here and now I am out there watering it every day. Recently the other dry spell commenced back in March after putting up my new Davis weather station with it's automated rain gauge!

such is the way it goes in the season of cut-offs when everything tightens up and shortens. they can end up as massive disasters if they are in the wrong place, or you can end up in the perfect spot on the periphery and have several days of decent weather. like scooter said, all you really need is sunshine this time of year. sunday was basically 50F at my house, but the offshore cut-off was far enough east that all it did was provide a "dry" onshore flow. there was plenty of subsidence and deep blue skies. the 50F felt like 70F when the wind slackened off at times. strong May sun FTW.

that massive cut-off the euro has from day 6/7 onward way offshore...if that thing materialized 300 miles further west, we'd have mass wrist cuttings, but in that position verbatim, we'd be mainly ok for that stretch.

Yeah the short wavelengths can be a blessing and placement of features is defintely important..rather than just saying we have a -NAO. Speaking of...as TIP noted, it seems to have lost some punch as compared to what models showed a few days ago. Heights are also higher on the east coast. Hopefully this continues. I'm sure there might be a cstl or something going south of us, but things seem a little better than they looked a few days ago. Today is beautiful here. 70F right now.

Moderate, steady rain... mountains obscured by fog/mist.

49F here at 800ft. Torch fail up here. Local mets are talking snow up here on Thursday. Roger Hill (one of the better local guys, sometimes posts on here) apparently mentioned 3-6" for the northern Greens with snow levels as low as 1,500ft near the ski resort base area.

Hoping to go play in the falling snow one last time this season.

Archived