joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Instead of Snow We Warm Sector

CT Rain

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of se-s flow so probably favored areas like ctrl and wrn mass down to HFD or so, only have a shot.

Yeah definitely would be a western New England/eastern NY kind of deal if things slowed down.

Probably not going to pan out but it's about the only thing of interest next week.

Ryan...I missed the broadcast...whay do you have for temps the next 7 days at BDL?

Mon 65

Tue 67

Wed 63

Thu 65

Fri 64

Sat 65

Sun 65

These could be low... though... I was reluctant to bump up too high since I already went much higher than I had yesterday.

Looks like one of those cold pool setups...dewpoints will be rather low but given how cold temps are aloft all we will need is to just get some decent surface heating and that could create just enough instability to get things rolling...doesn't appear lift will be an issue and jet dynamics will be there. We'll see.

I think it doesn't get out of the 50s on Thu and Fri at BDL with the cutoff low swirling to the E/NE. (Note - I'm only considering the daytime high for Thu. It could be a day where the midnight temp. is the actual high).

Wed, I agree you could be too low.

Mon 65

Tue 67

Wed 63

Thu 65

Fri 64

Sat 65

Sun 65

These could be low... though... I was reluctant to bump up too high since I already went much higher than I had yesterday.

BOX still mentions the possibility of snow for Pete in the longer range:

*THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT...

DEEPENING LOW NEARLY STACKING UPON ITSELF RESULTS IN OCCLUSION OF

THE SFC LOW INTO ERN NEW ENGLAND AND THE GULF OF ME. PREV MDL SOLNS

AS OF YESTERDAY ADVERTISED A LINGERING OCCLUSION OVER MUCH OF THE

NERN CONUS...BUT THE LATEST SOLNS OF A MORE EWD PROGRESSION ALLOW A

RIDGE OF HIGH PRES TO BUILD OVER THE FCST RGN INTO THE END OF THE

PD. WILL SEE A DEFORMATION AXIS IN ASSOC WITH A TROWAL STRUCTURE ON

THE BACKSIDE OF THE LOW LEND TO CONTINUED PRECIP CHCS FOR THE N/E

FCST RGNS. COULD SEE SOME WET SNOWS DURING THE MORNING PERIOD FOR

THE HIGHER TERRAIN

Perhaps both, so instead of "instead" - but severe would likely be muted for folks E of a RUT-LGA line, with a neutral negative tilt and sfc PP retreating directly E of even ENE. That's a quasi-warm sector synoptically at best, and one fairly heavily modulated by marine. Jet mechanics would off-set some, areed, but the book closes real fast because closure takes place as those arrive, and the lower tropospheric response becomes a backed(ing) flow at that point.

The Euro is indicating both seasons to some degree, with still some prospect for elevation snows for particularly central and N-NW New England later on after the baroclinic axis translates ENE and the mid levels then close. Dynamics then cool the column and wrap around moisture - even upsloping up N would easily crown summits and down to 2,000' els should that take place. The Canadian from 00z 05/02 hits this even harder. ...Just noted the 12Z NAM trying to whiten the Monadnocks.

The placement of the mid lvl vortex as depicted in the mean of the GFS/Euro is NE of last week's lat/lon. This may be a deterministic response to the significant negative NAO bias of the ensemble cluster... Last week's placement would have made sense in having that teleconnector some -2SD or deeper. One can really see said negative bias here: http://www.cpc.ncep....index_ensm.html

That's over -1SD error by D10!. That immediately argues for less impact locally as a correction. That said, this time of year is really hard to use these outright - and I don't because of that. I leave plenty of room for "anomalies inside anomalies", so to speak.

Perhaps both, so instead of "instead" - but severe would likely be muted for folks E of a RUT-LGA line, with a neutral negative tilt and sfc PP retreating directly E of even ENE. That's a quasi-warm sector synoptically at best, and one fairly heavily modulated by marine. Jet mechanics would off-set some, areed, but the book closes real fast because closure takes place as those arrive, and the lower tropospheric response becomes a backed(ing) flow at that point.

The Euro is indicating both seasons to some degree, with still some prospect for elevation snows for particularly central and N-NW New England later on after the baroclinic axis translates ENE and the mid levels then close. Dynamics then cool the column and wrap around moisture - even upsloping up N would easily crown summits and down to 2,000' els should that take place. The Canadian from 00z 05/02 hits this even harder. ...Just noted the 12Z NAM trying to whiten the Monadnocks.

The placement of the mid lvl vortex as depicted in the mean of the GFS/Euro is NE of last week's lat/lon. This may be a deterministic response to the significant negative NAO bias of the ensemble cluster... Last week's placement would have made sense in having that teleconnector some -2SD or deeper. One can really see said negative bias here: http://www.cpc.ncep....index_ensm.html

That's over -1SD error by D10!. That immediately argues for less impact locally as a correction. That said, this time of year is really hard to use these outright - and I don't because of that. I leave plenty of room for "anomalies inside anomalies", so to speak.

Yes on the euro, that second vortmax rounds the bend and really amplifies and closes off H5. Trowal signature is there, but verbatim maybe some flurries or a period of light snow above 1000 and likely 1500' or so, esp in NNE.

As far as the long range goes...EC ensembles build a strong -NAO in the Davis Straits and then retrograde this into srn Canada. 2 months earlier, and we would be in jubilation. Nevertheless, troughing develops over the East and perhaps a few waves of low pressre ride south of SNE. Now I suppose we can hope the trough is sharp enough to promote something like Wednesday and the low rides to our west...but I'm certainly not thrilled by the pattern....especially since it takes very little effort to keep erly flow over us.

Yes on the euro, that second vortmax rounds the bend and really amplifies and closes off H5. Trowal signature is there, but verbatim maybe some flurries or a period of light snow above 1000 and likely 1500' or so, esp in NNE.

As far as the long range goes...EC ensembles build a strong -NAO in the Davis Straits and then retrograde this into srn Canada. 2 months earlier, and we would be in jubilation. Nevertheless, troughing develops over the East and perhaps a few waves of low pressre ride south of SNE. Now I suppose we can hope the trough is sharp enough to promote something like Wednesday and the low rides to our west...but I'm certainly not thrilled by the pattern....especially since it takes very little effort to keep erly flow over us.

It's May thouh..and things just can't/won't be that bad.

I envision alot of sunny, mild days like yesterday with 60's to near 70..interspersed with a cool, rainy day here and there.

Plus 2 days ago Wed event looked cold and rainy.

Now it's humid and showery

I envision alot of sunny, mild days like yesterday with 60's to near 70..interspersed with a cool, rainy day here and there.

We've had plenty of crappy May's, especially ORH hills on east. It could easily happen, but I'm not suggesting it's a lock...just something to keep an eye on.

it's funny i was just thinking when i shot out for lunch, in blazing hot sun at 70F that if we get through the next 2 to 3 weeks with a few more of these, it won't have been all that bad...

But, 2005 is in there... let's hope not.

Interesting about the Euro ensembles.. Do they do any error tracking??

the current GFS suite has an on going negative bias at D4 that only balloons to -1SD by D10... this bias has persisted for a month now, too. It's enough to presume any such GFS mean for such behavior could quite plausibly be overdone. not sure on the Euro though...

so it's basically impossible for your area to get a torch... ever

If you are talking about 100F...then yes, its extremely difficult. A bit lower down can achieve it, but the current airport site rarely breaks 95F. They did reach 99F once in 1952.

If you are talking about 100F...then yes, its extremely difficult. A bit lower down can achieve it, but the current airport site rarely breaks 95F. They did reach 99F once in 1952.

What were they in that August heat of 1977? that was 104F routinely around the area on at least one afternoon...

Archived