• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Which of the Last 2 Winters Was Your Favorite?

69 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Favorite Winter?

2. 2. Which Storm Was Your Favorite?

• December 18-21, 2009
    • February 4-7, 2010
    • February 9-11, 2010
    • February 23-24, 2010
    • February 25-28, 2010
    • December 24-28, 2010
    • January 9-13, 2011
    • January 26-27, 2011
    • February 1-3, 2011

Since most of us have likely seen our last snowfall of this winter, I wanted to do a comparison to see which winter ranks higher in the minds of those on this board. While 2009-10 was a Strong El Nino and 2010-11 was a Strong La Nina winter, both winter featured a strong -NAO & -AO (which broke down in January in the case of 2010-11), which likely contributed to the frequent large snowstorms on the East Coast. I'm aware there is likely to be a sharp regional divide as to where each winter performed better. The Mid-Atlantic had a snowier winter during 2009-10 while areas further North for the most part were snowier during 2010-11. I also wanted to see which storm was better where as many of them had weird gradients and sharp cutoffs.

Notes:

The storm list only includes NESIS rated events. Thus storms such as December 25-26, 2009 Plains Blizzard, January 1-4, 2010 NNE retro-snowstorm, January 29-30 Lower Mid-Atlantic snowstorm, December 12, 2010 MN blizzard, January 7-8, 2011 inverted trough events, February 25, 2011 Upstate NY/Central & Northern New England event, & March 6-7, 2011 BTV snow bomb weren't included.

I included the Feb. 1-3, 2011 ORD blizzard as it's rated as a Cat. 3 on the NESIS scale. I also included it as 1 event even though it came in 2 waves for New England.

Even though the NESIS map includes the Feb. 23-24, 2010 Interior Elevation event and the Feb. 25-28 "Snowicane" as 1 event, I included them as 2 different events as they were very different events.

I included the Jan. 26-27 2011 I-95 snow bomb as 1 event even though it came in 2 waves because it really was one big event with freak snow rates.

The Southeastern U.S. winter storm on January 9-10, 2011 counts as part of the January 9-13, 2011 even though the NESIS map doesn't include it.

I look at the last two winters as draws..... both were concentrated into a few weeks.... recognizing the fact that 2009-10 had two periods, sandwiched by a pretty bad January in between. 2010 February and 2011 January were equal for this area. The best storm for this area hands down was the post Xmas 2010 blizzard.

December..... 2010 over 2009 by a narrow margin (for western Long Island..... wider margin for NYC and areas west, December 2009 was better than than December 2010 for eastern Long Island.)

January..... 2011 over 2010 by a wide margin everywhere

Febuary..... 2010 over 2011 by a wide margin everywhere

March...... 2011 over 2010 by a narrow margin everywhere, pretty much both sucked, but at least this past March had a couple of minor events, all in all just a tease though

This past winter was better than the 09-10 winter , even though my area saw over 55 inches of snow in the 09-10 winter. This past winter was snowier and colder than the 09-10 winter. Also, the snowcover this past winter lasted from Dec 26-Feb 7.

The best winter storm was December 26-27,2010. My area received 25 inches. I had snowdrifts of 6-9 feet in some areas.My power also went out on the night of Dec 26.The City was a standstill.

Winter 2010-11 was the easy winner here in Dobbs Ferry, NY. Although my backyard failed to see a HECS, I received 13" in the Boxing Day Blizzard (with 60mph winds!) and 14" in both the January 12th Miller B and the January 27th I-95 snowstorm. Total snowfall was 69.5", almost double the town's long-term average of 36"/year, and 1.5" more than Winter 09-10 delivered. Solid snowpack lasted from December 26th to February 18th, 55 consecutive days, remarkable for a location at only 350' elevation near the coastline. I have lived here all my life and can never remember such an enduring snowpack. Snow depth peaked at 25", which again is simply amazing for a location that usually struggles to hold any snow. Also, December was remarkable for its cold weather, with KNYC finishing 4.5F below average; the day after the 12/13 arctic front had a high of only 23F, twenty degrees below average. Although February and March were overall disappointments, the 2/3 ice storm was gorgeous here, and the 2/21 overrunning event did deliver 8" of powder. March started slowly but went out with a bang with two weeks of frigid temperatures and two more minor snowfalls.

Here is one of my favorite shots from this winter, taken during heavy snowfall in the 1/27 storm...there was already around 12" on the ground at this point, and this event delivered 14" more:

Winter 09-10 didn't have the same degree of cold or snowpack as this season, but the 2/25/10 "Snowicane" was absolutely remarkable here with 26" falling, elevation helping with marginal surface temperatures in the hills of Dobbs Ferry. It was the biggest snowfall I've seen and potentially my house's biggest event since March 1960. Along with the Snowicane, Winter 09-10 did deliver a nice hit with 12.5" on 2/10 and 6.5" on 2/16, bringing total snowfall for February 2010 to about 48", the snowiest February on record here. Disappointments were the lack of arctic air outside the mid-December and late January cold shots, the torched March, and the 12/19 storm...December 2009 was a cold one, but I got totally dryslotted in 12/19 and only received 8" while other places were picking up historical snowfall amounts. But, to be honest, the Snowicane made up for it, and here's a picture of the aftermath:

09-10/10-11 are clearly the greatest back-to-back winters ever for Dobbs Ferry, with 137.5" of snow falling in the combined winters. Since December '09, I've had five storms over 12" and seven storms over 8"...incredible!

2010-11 was much better because of the number of storms. 09-10 all came in 4 events, all 4 of which ended up underperforming at my location (not a lot, but still)

10-11 wins because of the duration of snow pack. 40 days. I've never seen anything like it. That and the cold. And the fact that there was a constant threat from 12/20 to 2/2.

And 1/27 is my favorite storm of all time. I'm sad that it wasn't rated higher on NESIS. Against all odds, from what was supposed to be mainly rain, we ended up with 17 inches of snow. 4.5" surprise in the morning, school closed at 10:30am and driving home on major roads at 20mph completely unplowed was a fun challenge. Then the ice accretion, the thundersleet, and the deform band that dropped 4.7" of snow in one hour. All from a storm that 2 days prior everyone thought would be rain. And for once it jackpotted my backyard. I can't say enough about that storm.

I got 19.25" of snow in 2009-2010 and 9.50" in 2010-2011, so 2009-2010 was definitely my favorite winter.

As for my favorite event, the Christmas/Boxing Day Snowstorm of December 25th-26th, 2010 was my favorite closely followed by the January 30th-31st, 2010 snowstorm. The latter would win except for the fact that the former produced the first White Christmas of my lifetime.

The 1/30/10 storm produced some wild snowfall rates in the wee hours of the morning before tapering off around 3-4 AM (~9 hour duration adding up to 8" of accumulation) while the Christmas/Boxing Day Snowstorm was generally just a long-duration light/moderate snow event (~20 hour duration adding up to 7" of accumulation).

2009 - 2010 with the three blockbuster events. In particular I liked the December 18 - 21, 2009 storm because it cancelled my college graduation so I didn't have to walk and let me stay home for my brother's birthday. Plus the storm looked like it would miss southern Pennsylvania at first, but wound up burying us. :)

All this would be moot if February 5-6 2010 came up the coast....

But I am going to go with 2010-2011.

Favorite storm? December 26 2010.... Best storm since January 7, 1996.... hands down.

But overall, The Blizzard of 1996 is the king for PHL-NYC.... still is.

This past winter was better than the 09-10 winter , even though my area saw over 55 inches of snow in the 09-10 winter. This past winter was snowier and colder than the 09-10 winter. Also, the snowcover this past winter lasted from Dec 26-Feb 7.

The best winter storm was December 26-27,2010. My area received 25 inches. I had snowdrifts of 6-9 feet in some areas.My power also went out on the night of Dec 26.The City was a standstill.

Rather than retype, I echo Snow88's remarks.

I add that this was the first moderate-strong La Niña winter that was spectacular since either WW I or Jefferson's times so we learned how important NAO is relative to ENSO for this area. Also, the Niña flavor was more favorable for cold, at least during the December 26 - February 3 period. The normal "two weeks on-three weeks off" Niña cycle concentrated in one six-week period with memorable results.

This winter far and away was my favorite of all my 54 years.

2010-11 by a mile. This was probably my favorite winter ever for all things combined. An epic Feb, FOUR snowstorms featured thundersnow, and most important of all, because there was snow on the ground almost the entire time from early Dec to mid-Mar. The other snowy winters in recent years had a few noticeable bare periods.

In fact, 2009-10 wasnt a bad winter, but it was the only winter near climo of the past 4, basically a breather in a very snowy cycle. Avg snow is 44"....

2010-11: 69.4" imby (69.1" dtw)

2009-10: 46.1" imby (43.7" dtw)

2008-09: 64.8" imby (65.7" dtw)

2007-08: 78.2" imby (71.7" dtw)

Geee....tough one....um, 2010-11

Jan 12, 2011.

Yes, Im gathering that shed you were getting raped in was snowed in most of this winter.

I would have picked that storm too, had it strengthened just a bit sooner and not partially screwed this area. Going with Xmas day after storm though.

All this would be moot if February 5-6 2010 came up the coast....

But I am going to go with 2010-2011.

Favorite storm? December 26 2010.... Best storm since January 7, 1996.... hands down.

But overall, The Blizzard of 1996 is the king for PHL-NYC.... still is.

So many great storms and yet so many close calls the last two winters.

Yes, Im gathering that shed you were getting raped in was snowed in most of this winter.

I would have picked that storm too, had it strengthened just a bit sooner and not partially screwed this area. Going with Xmas day after storm though.

It actually strengthened a hair too fast for my liking....perfect for CT.

It actually strengthened a hair too fast for my liking....perfect for CT.

Yeah, I think you would have had over 2 feet with better timing.... do you think a more quickly strengthening Jan 2005 is a good analog for that storm?

2010-2011. And the Jan 9-13 storm was definitely the best for my area. 6.25" of snow that stayed on the roads for five days, schools shut down for a week. Even after they plowed/scraped the main roads I was stuck in my neighborhood because "it was too hilly" for the plows...

Hmmm. 69" vs 11". I'll take '09-'10.

Amazing how DCA/BWI got screwed this winter, sandwiched in between areas that received far more than average snowfall; it was almost as if karma would not permit them to get snow after the 09-10 blockbuster winter. DC was in between the heavy snows for Boxing Day, with RIC/ORF and even down into the Deep South getting substantial amounts, and then NYC metro and New England getting destroyed. Somehow they managed to get almost nothing in that huge Miller A. The 1/12 Miller B developed just slightly too late for the DC metro, skipping them over and instead bombing PHL north. DC got a decent hit from 1/27, but nowhere near the explosive snows seen in NYC metro. Just a very unfortunate winter with many opportunities yet few pay-offs; temperatures were certainly cold enough, and the coastal storms were there. But the drought lives.

Amazing how DCA/BWI got screwed this winter, sandwiched in between areas that received far more than average snowfall; it was almost as if karma would not permit them to get snow after the 09-10 blockbuster winter. DC was in between the heavy snows for Boxing Day, with RIC/ORF and even down into the Deep South getting substantial amounts, and then NYC metro and New England getting destroyed. Somehow they managed to get almost nothing in that huge Miller A. The 1/12 Miller B developed just slightly too late for the DC metro, skipping them over and instead bombing PHL north. DC got a decent hit from 1/27, but nowhere near the explosive snows seen in NYC metro. Just a very unfortunate winter with many opportunities yet few pay-offs; temperatures were certainly cold enough, and the coastal storms were there. But the drought lives.

It was a rough ride this year. I wasn't even in town for the last week of January, so I saw a grand total of 3" fall. Personally, my worst winter since I was 6 years old in the San Joaquin Valley in CA. :thumbsdown:

Hmmm. 69" vs 11". I'll take '09-'10.

'09-'10: 82.4"

'10-'11: 20.5"

Easy choice here too. More difficult is deciding among the three big snows of '09-'10, as they each had some great memories.

Dec storm: 18"+ the week of Christmas

1st Feb storm: 28.5" which is the largest snowstorm I've personally experienced in 48 years

2nd Feb storm: Another 18" with great winds, whiteout visibilities, all on top of a 2'+ snow pack.

Can't choose a favorite.

Archived