• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Which of the Last 2 Winters Was Your Favorite?

69 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Favorite Winter?

2. 2. Which Storm Was Your Favorite?

• December 18-21, 2009
    • February 4-7, 2010
    • February 9-11, 2010
    • February 23-24, 2010
    • February 25-28, 2010
    • December 24-28, 2010
    • January 9-13, 2011
    • January 26-27, 2011
    • February 1-3, 2011

Meh, Dec. 19th, 2008 was really the only highlight of that month.

Other than that, it sucked.

Amazing how it can be like night and day between here and that part of this state. Dec 08 was great here with the whitest Christmas i have seen with around 18" on the ground Christmas Morning ( had a nice coating to freshen it up too ) which all of it ended up melting a few days later only to be replaced and done better in January reaching just over 2 feet on the ground. Was the snowiest December since the epic Dec 2000. 08-09 was the snowiest winter ever here per modern (1948-current ) records so yeah it gets top dog of any in these parts anyways with 109.9" on the season. I would personally still give 66-67 top honors ( despite 96.8" season total ) because that did atleast feature a true blizzard with well over 2 feet of snow from the storm ( 29-32" inches in this area ) and it had a big November storm as well and a decent late April 6+ event.

As for this winter vs last winter i give 09-10 the edge despite the amazing early end to winter. 09-10 had two 12+" events with one in Dec and then with the Feb ( 9th ) storm that bombed the mid Atlantic helping to make Feb 2010 the snowiest Feb ever here. Seasonal totals 73.1" in 09-10 vs 59.0" this winter gives 09-10 a slight edge too and more so because i was not the low spot in the region ( relative to climo ) either. And despite the earlier ending 09-10 still had more days with snowcover on the ground. Groundhog storm though gets the award for best storm in the past two winters and actually the best storm since i moved here to Michigan. First true blizzard here which scores a few brownie points.

Amazing how it can be like night and day between here and that part of this state. Dec 08 was great here with the whitest Christmas i have seen with around 18" on the ground Christmas Morning ( had a nice coating to freshen it up too ) which all of it ended up melting a few days later only to be replaced and done better in January reaching just over 2 feet on the ground. Was the snowiest December since the epic Dec 2000. 08-09 was the snowiest winter ever here per modern (1948-current ) records so yeah it gets top dog of any in these parts anyways with 109.9" on the season. I would personally still give 66-67 top honors ( despite 96.8" season total ) because that did atleast feature a true blizzard with well over 2 feet of snow from the storm ( 29-32" inches in this area ) and it had a big November storm as well and a decent late April 6+ event.

As for this winter vs last winter i give 09-10 the edge despite the amazing early end to winter. 09-10 had two 12+" events with one in Dec and then with the Feb ( 9th ) storm that bombed the mid Atlantic helping to make Feb 2010 the snowiest Feb ever here. Seasonal totals 73.1" in 09-10 vs 59.0" this winter gives 09-10 a slight edge too and more so because i was not the low spot in the region ( relative to climo ) either. And despite the earlier ending 09-10 still had more days with snowcover on the ground. Groundhog storm though gets the award for best storm in the past two winters and actually the best storm since i moved here to Michigan. First true blizzard here which scores a few brownie points.

This winter was perfect proof of how different things can be SO close in this state. Last year was a climo winter for both snowfall and snowcover here, while this one was a banner year. You made a few inches up on Apr 18, but DTW still ended up beating BTL by over 10 inches this winter, while last winter Detroit was nearly 30 inches below BTL. Not to mention at DTW there was literally a month more of snowcover in 2010-11 than 2009-10. Of course, while this year worked out clearly in Detroits favor, with Feb 20th probably the poster child storm, all you have to do is look at your favorite storm (Jan '67) as probably the best example of how amazing the difference 3 counties due east can make in southern MI, and Im not even talking LES.

All that said, Im not sure why Powerball was meh on Dec 2008. It was a very good month here. DTW saw 21.4" of snow and temps well below normal. Yes Dec 19th was the HIGHLIGHT of the month, but it was certainly not the only nice thing. If a month like that occurred in almost any other decade it would have stuck in the memory bank more, but it fades away because it is sandwiched in by so many ridiculously snowy months. Feb 2008, Mar 2008, Jan 2009, Feb 2010, Feb 2011 all make Dec 2008 easy to forget....but had Dec 2008 occured sometime in the 1990s (pre-1999) it would be king instead of almost forgotten. I dont want these times to end lol.

Pretty slamdunk for the eastern half of NNE, even though it took until Feb before CAR and environs got in on much good stuff. IMBY it's comparing 64" snowfall in an all-time record warm winter to 100" in an average temp winter - avg winter is 88".

None of the NESIS storms were better than garden-variety IMBY, and several missed altogether, especially in 09-10. However, all those modest events this past winter (most being near-misses with big snow to S, E, or to NW) had added up to 85" total when the April fool's bomb dropped 15" to turn a C- winter into C+.

Archived