Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Tulip Trouncer 5........The Comeback

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn’t get anywhere close to "big storm" Ayer, Mass… 4” tops… Streets just wet – although some plowing on the side roads.

Storm just didn’t get over the edge where we are in Massachusetts, and was therefore entirely just a nuisance. Manageable. Forgettable.

I think I did...

In a normal winter, I would agree. I just think this was a ho-hum way to end the snow season for THIS year. IMO and no one else agrees apparently..fair enough.

In a crappy winter from the late 80s or something, this event would have MADE the winter. So it's all perspective.

Keeping in mind how great things were, I just can't get excited over this mushy 2-6"

We'll guys this is my last post until next winter. All of you have provided a great amount of weather wisdom and I've learned from some very intelligent meteorologists. Hope to speak to you guys in several months unless a tropical system threatens SNE. Signing off as The Closer.

Gotta agree with Tip here...

Here in the Boston metro area (Jerry, Scott, bboughton, others), I'm somewhat disappointed.

We had the nighttime, we had the heavier qpf bands, we even had decent dendritic growth, but simply could not overcome a stubborn boundary layer so hours of good dendrites amounted to not much. And lost about an hour overnight to rain/IP, and whatever we had is now being compacted by light rain. Framingham and other suburbs just to west did much better.

Photo from the neighborhood below.

Would be interested in a post-mortem. Seems the 12Z euro 3/31/11 was not too far off from the truth... a more sheared out system, weaker, and qpf much more confined to the east than depicted on models 24 hours before the storm. By the 0Z suite, the NAM/GFS backed off from the qpf nuke in eastern SNE that might have been able to overcome the boundary layer akin to 1997.

We'll guys this is my last post until next winter. All of you have provided a great amount of weather wisdom and I've learned from some very intelligent meteorologists. Hope to speak to you guys in several months unless a tropical system threatens SNE. Signing off as The Closer.

I will miss you closer :'(

heavy heavy disappointment. Not that it wasn't expected given the trends in the last 24 hours.

Well, back to bed, and then spring next week

So just for the record, every single snow threat that you winter weenies freaked out about in the last few weeks have failed. This one's on me too though.

Finally moving on

Disc of sun showing now in the valley.

Walked the dog a mile up the road and about 200' el. gain. (600') Almost an inch more of snow over that small distance so elevation was key out here.

I think it was pretty cool that last night you had SN+ in Newport R.I. and rain falling in S. VT. That probably doesn't happen very often on March 31st!

This brought my yearly total to 84". That's a lot of snow but because of a pizz poor March this year still only gets a B+ from me.

3" here. Definitely a bust considering what it could've been. On the bright side, at least I can drive down to Fairfield County CT to meet with some old friends without a problem.

I expect light snow to continue through the day and into the early evening here. Another couple of inches is definitely possible especially in the hilltowns as that stuff from NJ moves NE.

3" here. Definitely a bust considering what it could've been. On the bright side, at least I can drive down to Fairfield County CT to meet with some old friends without a problem.

I expect light snow to continue through the day and into the early evening here. Another couple of inches is definitely possible especially in the hilltowns as that stuff from NJ moves NE.

I was surprised that when I went to bed at midnight Albany was still calling for 6-10" in the Berks.

Gotta agree with Tip here...

Here in the Boston metro area (Jerry, Scott, bboughton, others), I'm somewhat disappointed.

We had the nighttime, we had the heavier qpf bands, we even had decent dendritic growth, but simply could not overcome a stubborn boundary layer so hours of good dendrites amounted to not much. And lost about an hour overnight to rain/IP, and whatever we had is now being compacted by light rain. Framingham and other suburbs just to west did much better.

Photo from the neighborhood below.

Would be interested in a post-mortem. Seems the 12Z euro 3/31/11 was not too far off from the truth... a more sheared out system, weaker, and qpf much more confined to the east than depicted on models 24 hours before the storm. By the 0Z suite, the NAM/GFS backed off from the qpf nuke in eastern SNE that might have been able to overcome the boundary layer akin to 1997.

This was about exactly what was expected for here. 2 maybe 3" tops. We even discussed it last night.

This was about exactly what was expected for here. 2 maybe 3" tops. We even discussed it last night.

Read zuckers comments. Nam and euro were both good signals.

There was a significant bust down here with manomet pulling in 4" per skywarn and in general 3-4" back from the water 500' north of the canal. I don't think any of us thought se MA had a shot of beating most of ct/ri and even Boston.

We got lucky here and had blistering precip rates that lacked later for most of you

I did think Kevin might see more than he got about 30 hours ago, but yesterday started putting the lid on that idea. Those clown maps worked out fairly well down there. Everything else started falling in place yesterday. The one real big surprise was down by the Cape.

I've been surprised what I see around here in NE CT. Just got back from collecting sap at different places and elevations and it was really interesting. I think there was some different banding going on, even under short distances. Like I said, I had about 1" in Stafford Springs at 675'. My sugar bush in Union at 1200' had about 4"....Stafford at 1000' had about 2"...Somers (different from my folks) at 250' had about 1". My sugar house in the northern part of Somers had less than an 1" at 290'. Subtle differences, but I would have thought there would have been more of a elevation difference (which there was to some extent) but it seems like different bands might have played role around here. I do know that I had IP for a time overnight at my place in Stafford Springs.

Archived