• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Tulip Trouncer 5........The Comeback

Mr Torchey

Is that a deform band starting to set up from Berlin NH down through Lincoln and sw?

Not sure if it's a deform but it's fairly heavy. It's going over us here in Hanover, NH now. Big fat flakes. Looks like it's headed somewhat toward us on Vermont's eastern slope...... then looking a little ragged already thereafter.

I think we'll see some ULL/backside type stuff later this afternoon/evening. If we can get a good burst later on as darkness sets it, that'll help totals quite a bit. We'll see.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forecast ranges should be met. I don't see what the problem is. Unless there are a bunch of people who always expect the high end of the range to verify. It's absolutely ripping out there and I already have between 6 and 8 inches.

The dryslot was flying 3 hrs ago it had looked by even around now it could arrive around areas of maine... all bets kinda off with the funky ML's.. but it appears to have halted around portsmouth.

If the DS came that quick it would have been 7" tops haha

Not sure if it's a deform but it's fairly heavy. It's going over us here in Hanover, NH now. Big fat flakes. Looks like it's headed somewhat toward us on Vermont's eastern slope...... then looking a little ragged already thereafter.

I'm hoping it reaches our houses and stalls for a bit guitar.gif

9.1 inches here so far, and still a complete whiteout.

Wow, that's great, Matt! I had 3.3" when I left at 6:30 and I know it's been coming down hard ever since. I guess 10" is a lock for you, and I see Jeff has over 6" so he stands a shot as well. Maybe I do, too. I spoke too soon about not hitting 10". I wonder how much has fallen here? They plowed the open air parking area and there's no cars to get a gauge. Maybe one of the Portland-area members can offer up a total.

Wow, that's great, Matt! I had 3.3" when I left at 6:30 and I know it's been coming down hard ever since. I guess 10" is a lock for you, and I see Jeff has over 6" so he stands a shot as well. Maybe I do, too. I spoke too soon about not hitting 10". I wonder how much has fallen here? They plowed the open air parking area and there's no cars to get a gauge. Maybe one of the Portland-area members can offer up a total.

I'm going for a walk to see what I have..

It was your typical snow event for this time of the year. Exact same set up 3 weeks earlier would have quadrupled our amounts but balls said the queen, if I had them I'd be king.

I had to leave around 6:40 this morning and roads were treacherous. Once you get to the Brookline Reservoir, much more snow. Coming back past Larz Anderson Park I note on the hill with what looks like around 4 inches while lower elevations 2ish. The storm actually overperformed since taint did not occur until after meaningful qpf was outta here. The problem is everyone remembers 97 and that's a once in a lifetime event that is akin to winning the lottery. Not so earlier in the season but for 4/1 yes.

All true Jerry.

Once in a rare interval (every 10 years? every 100 years?), things seem to all fall just right for rule-breaking phenomenon... the nighttime interval, the cold antecedent conditions (colder than 97), a high-resolution model showing this nuke within 6 hours of showtime (18z last night):

So there was hope of busting high with a mini-97, but climo eventually won out.

Eric, It looks on radar like you are getting ripped in portland right now...

The dryslot was flying 3 hrs ago it had looked by even around now it could arrive around areas of maine... all bets kinda off with the funky ML's.. but it appears to have halted around portsmouth.

If the DS came that quick it would have been 7" tops haha

This is kind of a good point, actually...

As expected …the steady stuff over eastern PA and N NJ is starting to flip to more rain as per Intellicast P-Type…

Studying the loop, it really appears we were dry slotted… I know some are hung up on the sfc low going east idea, but it appears the 700mb center went W, and that caused substantial drying to wrap in from the S - turning off the faucet so to speak.

I’m not so sure that particular aspect of this was very well modeled. Even at less production relative to the model depictions leading, this system would have done better if that did not occur.

The other thing I am noticing ...or recalling really, is that this was never going to be a juggernaut storm for SNE... The jet dynamics feeding in came in weaker than the middle range had it, and because of that, this could not get a cohesive deep layer vortex evolved in time to really get the area hammered. That may also be in part why we have askew vortex at the different sigma levels. Sfc low east of Boston, with a 700mb center near ALB or where ever, and a 850 gosh knows where... To really mechanize cyclones you want a ton of torque, and weak vorticity field (from comparatively less jet dynamics feeding in) is going the wrong direction.

Ah well ... Most Mets on here were warning all "weak" that everything has to be perfect after the Equinox, so hopefully folks had that objective realism to defend against a disappointing outcome. Frankly for me, any snow is too much at this point... This sucks - I want summer, and have since it was painfully obvious February was going to suck and most likely relay into another pointless March.

Thanks! I seem to live in a really good place for snow. I get the heavy bands that come off the ocean, and the more inland effect, where it is colder. I will take a nice picture of it to post on here at 12 when I go out for my lunch break.

The forecast ranges should be met. I don't see what the problem is. Unless there are a bunch of people who always expect the high end of the range to verify. It's absolutely ripping out there and I already have between 6 and 8 inches.

You guys went 5-10 here and that has been met. The disappointing part is that we haven't gotten truly heavy snow yet. Solid moderate. Funny, it is picking up now and is that the tail end of a deformation band sitting over central merrimack county?

Jeff that is awesome. Looks like you are deforming! I am getting a little bit of that band that is setting up and it is snowing moderately here. 5.5 inches.

Mark, Thats awesome, What was the snowfall amounts for your area? Its ripping good here with that band as we are up to 33 dbz's That should give us some 2-3" hr rates.

Mark, Thats awesome, What was the snowfall amounts for your area? Its ripping good here with that band as we are up to 33 dbz's That should give us some 2-3" hr rates.

We haven't had true rippage yet although it is picking up now. I'm envious of you because even though I've had almost as much as you, I haven't gotten the heavy. In an April storm it ain't about the pack, it 'bout the heavy.

I did think Kevin might see more than he got about 30 hours ago, but yesterday started putting the lid on that idea. Those clown maps worked out fairly well down there. Everything else started falling in place yesterday. The one real big surprise was down by the Cape.

I might do a little write up about the winter, later in the month.

you know the funny thing is the NAM was showing this over and over again down here. i just thought it wouldn't work out because it really required things to work perfectly with timing and placement of lift. it consistently showed several hours of snow to start the event out here...i believe one run was like .4" le even.

you know the funny thing is the NAM was showing this over and over again down here. i just thought it wouldn't work out because it really required things to work perfectly with timing and placement of lift. it consistently showed several hours of snow to start the event out here...i believe one run was like .4" le even.

Yep it did. Nam took a lot of abuse as usual not being the snowiest solution but it was okay.

--

Looks like I may have even beat skimrg.

The traffic problems last night....both bridges had crashes at the same time. The road surface froze as the snow piled up making it tough to get up the inclines. Luckily it stopped as quickly as it started.

Yep it did. Nam took a lot of abuse as usual not being the snowiest solution but it was okay.

--

Looks like I may have even beat skimrg.

The traffic problems last night....both bridges had crashes at the same time. The road surface froze as the snow piled up making it tough to get up the inclines. Luckily it stopped as quickly as it started.

You wish. 4.5" w/sn when I left the house and as WxManMitch pointed out several more inches possible throughout the day. Nice try though....Flatlander.

Archived