12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Tulip Trouncer 5........The Comeback

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little spring event. 3.8" was the final here on grass/car, with about 2.75" on the deck, ~1.5 on the driveway, and about 1" on the side roads. The funny thing is because about 1.5" fell before midnight, this March still beats April here, with 2.5 for March (1" on 3/21) and 2.3 for April laugh.gif. The total for the season is now 88.7", 135% of normal. Here's what it looked like at 7am this morning with 4" pasted to everything. It's down to about 2.5 or so now.

IMG_1315.jpg

Bummer about the power, seems to be a bit of that going around. But at least you hit your range. It'll be close for me - Matt had 11" and I've seen reports in Hollis and Cornish of around 9" in late morning so if I'm lucky I'll record 10" as well, though probably fall just shy. Trying to hit 90 for the year but may not quite hit that mark (needed 11.1").

Yeah, We made the low end, I am happy with that, I cracked 100" @ 101.55" for the season.... :snowman:

The thing is in general the models do a darn good job with most things. I think a lot of people (including many pro mets and myself sometimes) forget the meteorology and get too focused on the QPF or soundings or where the models are pegging the best omega. Going back to basics and looking at the track of the mid level lows and the intensity or them can really go a long way.

15 years ago when you and me and jerry were doing all this relying on relatively crude graphics and FOUS data you were forced back to basics.

+ 100

not saying mets here dont do this btw!

for my area the event overperformed to me 25 miles west of boston ALL snow (cept a 20 min period around 240am when precip lightened up of ip w some flakes mixed in) measured 5 at 745 am...but i may have underdone it... a little . there was a shade more on car top then grass.

back to SN- now

Yeah the models really did a good job showing where the taint line would get (Kevin's backyard)... in general I've noticed 9 times out of 10 when the models show a very borderline (near 0c) setup the flip to sleet or rain tends to occur a bit earlier than forecast. This was a pseudo SWFE without the really wild front end thump... less omega.

Yeah this is usually true and also why I thought the second round of 2/2 would suck. The thing that seemed a little trickier here, is that the 0C line would oscillate nw or se..depending on lift, That makes it tricky because better lift or worse lift can mean the difference between 2" or 7". That's the problem I had for Tolland, but in the end, that subtle shift to the east probably took the omega with it, for nrn CT.

Big bust for nw CT anf the Berks for once. Poor Pete can't post more pics of burly men working out in the cold as massive dendrites get caught up in their beards.

Yeah this is usually true and also why I thought the second round of 2/2 would suck. The thing that seemed a little trickier here, is that the 0C line would oscillate nw or se..depending on lift, That makes it tricky because better lift or worse lift can mean the difference between 2" or 7". That's the problem I had for Tolland, but in the end, that subtle shift to the east probably took the omega with it, for nrn CT.

Big bust for nw CT anf the Berks for once. Poor Pete can't post more pics of burly men working out in the cold as massive dendrites get caught up in their beards.

Did I just sleet for hours and hours..or was there just light stuff falling? There def was a layer of sleet between the top and bottom snow layers

i am so thrilled with this last snowfall

let me count the ways

1. late season spring event

2. my area held the snow line and didn't flip to IP

3 was in heavy QPF zone (which ARW and HRRR) showed last nite

4. i got a morning off for work

only regret is i didn't get up to nobscot (4 miles NE) and 320' higher to see how they did.

if i can still get decent accums then the interior (tolland , ORH, and GC (obviously) still has a couple weeks of potential left

Pete's leaving for Alaska this morning so I don't think he's too upset.

One of my rules of thumb.... never forecast >12" when the mid level low passes west of you.

Pete's leaving for Alaska this morning so I don't think he's too upset.

One of my rules of thumb.... never forecast >12" when the mid level low passes west of you.

Not the best start for JB on his new site-he went balls to the walls on snow accums and busted mightily...(although the site is still free at the moment, maybe as a reward for his bust...LOL)

It was your typical snow event for this time of the year. Exact same set up 3 weeks earlier would have quadrupled our amounts but balls said the queen, if I had them I'd be king.

I had to leave around 6:40 this morning and roads were treacherous. Once you get to the Brookline Reservoir, much more snow. Coming back past Larz Anderson Park I note on the hill with what looks like around 4 inches while lower elevations 2ish. The storm actually overperformed since taint did not occur until after meaningful qpf was outta here. The problem is everyone remembers 97 and that's a once in a lifetime event that is akin to winning the lottery. Not so earlier in the season but for 4/1 yes.

This is untrue....the mid-levels didn't close off in time for SNE, it wasn't so much a temperature problem from its being April 1st but not getting into heavy deformation banding.

This is untrue....the mid-levels didn't close off in time for SNE, it wasn't so much a temperature problem from its being April 1st but not getting into heavy deformation banding.

I think its both. I could have gotten more then 4" on April 1st if the storm developed quicker and we got better sf rates, but if it snowed like it did last night in January I tend to think I would have gotten 6-7". I had like 6-7:1 ratio snow last night into this morning.

Did I just sleet for hours and hours..or was there just light stuff falling? There def was a layer of sleet between the top and bottom snow layers

You were probably oscillating back and forth like I was. There were times I was almost all sleet, and then I would rip aggregates.

Archived