Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter returns with a vengeance thread again

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt that happens

Me too, but it's surely nice to look at it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this trended a bit north with what the 12z GEFS show and the track of the mid-level features. That could turn it into more of a mix/rain event down here, but I still think we might get something.

I don't think this will be the last threat either for the coastal plain; Euro shows something developing around 192 hrs and HM has also said that April 5-10 may feature a surprise spring snowfall.

Clearly you missed the point of all that before :)

Look - I like interesting Meterology... Any snow threat beyond any given March 15 is interesting - despite that, I don't allow my personal druthers get in the way of my interest in Meteorology.

No. I'm high functioning so I got the point.lol I was just bustin'. As has been well established, I'm a snow Kook. Snow, snow, snow and more snow. I'm interested in meteorology but the interest I have stems largely from growing up as a skier. I follow the weather all year as I'm out in it everyday but the stretch from mid-May to mid-September is much less compelling. I hope we get buried and Spring is held at bay for several months.

I won't be surprised if this comes a decent bit further north. Luckily most of SNE still has a lot of wiggle room except maybe the south coast.

The "wife" flies out here Wed afternoon. I'm hoping she gets a rude awakening. lol

edit: no delays though please

The euro did pretty good in keeping the crappy pattern iirc. I thought it was the GFS that was too insistent on developing riding in CA.

Yeah I suppose. The pattern was so bad I never looked at it. Not once. Not sure it made a difference as I wasn't thinking winter was returning and it didn't.

Yeah - winter is up against tough odds down here now. As we enter the last week of March even a -17 below average high temp still nets out above freezing. And we add a degree every couple of days.

But I'll never forget the April Fool's Day Blizzard in '97. My memory is fuzzy, but I think the temps hit 70 not three days before the event...

Well we're definitely heading into a much colder pattern. Potential will finally be there but we fight a climo battle

CCB over the Cape and islands. It looked like there was a hint of an inv trough feature at 120 keeping snow flying well NW of the low as the PV slowly dropped south through QB. Then the CCB just takes over as the low slides a hair S of the BM.

Might as well be 220 given previous performance.

Big, big winter though.

Epic.

Beyond 48-60 hours I won't get suckered. Models have been terrible at that range most of the time whether it was a forecast of rain, snow or sun.

I wouldn't be surprised if this trended a bit north with what the 12z GEFS show and the track of the mid-level features. That could turn it into more of a mix/rain event down here, but I still think we might get something.

I don't think this will be the last threat either for the coastal plain; Euro shows something developing around 192 hrs and HM has also said that April 5-10 may feature a surprise spring snowfall.

Your elevation will save you :P Im hoping for an April 1996 / April 2003 type of scenario which would also be indicative of perhaps a weak el nino building next fall.

I still think this is a lot of rain for most of us in CT/SE NY

Be fair - I wasn't speaking to warm weather zealots. There isn't enough of them around to warrant that concern.

Ginx, I respectfully disagree. You mentioned "odd post for weather board" - therein is the problem: it's not a weather board if it is so heavily and seemingly ONLY faceted in the singular and oft' coming across as irrationally obsessed with the aspect of snow to the point of neurotic. "Weather" involves everything.

This is a snow board. Hey, that's fine - just nice to know what it is one's really involved in. More power to a snow board!

You fill me in on what other exciting wx that Wilmington, MA oft experiences and I root it on....sorry, 60 and sunny, while pleasant....is not exciting.

I still think this is a lot of rain for most of us in CT/SE NY

You may be right but hopefully we do get some advisory level stuff and the pattern seems conducive for more possibilities right through early April.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

324 PM EDT SAT MAR 19 2011

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --THE LONG TERM PATTERN IS DOMINATED BY BLOCKING WITH REX BLOCK OVER

CENTRAL CANADA AND THE EASTERN ATLANTIC...THUS LEAVING EASTERN

CANADA UNDER A POLAR VORTEX. A SIGNIFICANT PATTERN CHANGE TO

NEGATIVE NAO.

THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN IS WELL FORECAST (LOW SPREAD) BY THE

GLOBAL ENSEMBLE FORECAST SYSTEMS. THE UNCERTAINTY IS WITH THE

SENSIBLE WEATHER IMPACTS AND TIMING OF THE SHORTWAVE ENERGY

ROTATING AROUND THE VORTEX. THE FIRST OF THIS OCCURS LATE

WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. LOOKING AT THE 00Z ECMWF EFS AND 12Z

GEFS...SPREAD IS LOW FOR SFC LOW PRESSURE PASSING SOUTH THE REGION

WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITH AN INVERTED "NORLUN" TROUGH FEATURED FOR

THURSDAY. THUS AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF PCPN STARTING WEDNESDAY AFTN

INTO THURSDAY.

P-TYPE IS CHALLENGING WITH GEFS SUGGESTING POTENTIAL FOR AT LEAST

ADVISORY LEVEL SNOW THURSDAY MORNING WITH QPF OF OVER A HALF INCH

BEING THE 30-50% RANGE. THE DETERMINISTIC 12Z GEFS GIVES MINIMAL

WARNING LEVEL SNOW AT KSWF. FOR NOW...KEEPING IT MIX FOR COAST

WITH POPS IN THE 30-50% RANGE AS TEMPS/THICKNESSES ARE MARGINAL.

AS THE LOW DEEPENS EAST OF THE REGION LATE THURSDAY...PCPN SHOULD

END...THOUGH UNCERTAINTY REQUIRES CARRYING LOW POPS INTO THURSDAY

EVENING. NW FLOW/COLD ADVECTION CONTINUES INTO SATURDAY. SOME

FLURRIES POSSIBLE IN THE NORTHERN HILLS.

TEMPS ARE BELOW NORMAL THROUGH THE LONG RANGE.-- End Changed Discussion --

Monday has "who cares" written all over it, if you live below about 800' in sne.

Esp in eastern areas. The western zones around the CT Valley could actually get a burst of decent snow as the better omega hits them and also earlier in the morning.

Esp in eastern areas. The western zones around the CT Valley could actually get a burst of decent snow as the better omega hits them and also earlier in the morning.

Yeah I think Litchfield County could be in decent shape but I'd really like to see this thing a bit further south.

Yeah I think Litchfield County could be in decent shape but I'd really like to see this thing a bit further south.

Yeah it will probably be a 4-5 hour burst, then RA-, and then dryslot...unless it somehow tracks about 75-100 miles south. I hoping something like last night's Euro would end up about 50 miles south....but knew that was a long shot given other guidance.

So it will most likely just be a quick burst of snow at the onset and then dry slot pretty quickly after maybe a brief change to RA-. Maybe someone can pick up 3-4" though in the high terrain if very lucky, but at this point probably 1-2" in the hills is all I would say.

Yeah it will probably be a 4-5 hour burst, then RA-, and then dryslot...unless it somehow tracks about 75-100 miles south. I hoping something like last night's Euro would end up about 50 miles south....but knew that was a long shot given other guidance.

So it will most likely just be a quick burst of snow at the onset and then dry slot pretty quickly after maybe a brief change to RA-. Maybe someone can pick up 3-4" though in the high terrain if very lucky, but at this point probably 1-2" in the hills is all I would say.

I don't think the Euro is going to be that bad here.

We'll see.

Archived