• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter returns with a vengeance thread again

Damage In Tolland

I don't know if I could do AK, but man I fell in love with the Rockies when I was out in CO. Just beautiful. Nothing like a summer tstm producing snow at 12k..lol.

Visit it once and you'll be hooked.lol (my friend is the only person I know that fishes for Salmon in Birkenstocks)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colorado is awesome. Last summer I went and every day was like 40 in the morning then in the afternoon it would get up to 80. Went to bed with the window open and woke up freezing.

I was at about 8000' in Estes Park, 2 hours from Denver. Going there again this summer, can't wait.

We stayed there as well. Such a cool area.

Visit it once and you'll be hooked.lol (my friend is the only person I know that fishes for Salmon in Birkenstocks)

Tremendous pic....only thing missing to make it perfect is the cigar and the whiskey. Now I know what Wiz feels like when he sees a Miley Cyrus pic.

Where did you notice those snow amounts? Funny, because I was thinking about that area a lot today.

different places, too many to rattle off. lol

Milton over to Canton, Randolph, Braintree was constantly changing with elevation around the Reservation. 300' + was a good 1" to 2". Like you said earlier, all it took was 50-80' elevation. Milton near Mattapan Sq. was basically wet and no snow , drove up Brooks? st. maybe 1/4 mile away up to 250' and it was a winter scene.

Another good area was Route 20 west from Weston/Newton. Literally no accumulation at all from Needham/Newton area of 128 once you dipped down under the TV tower hill in Needham, Route 20 Weston/Wayland around two miles from 128 and 100' higher - solid snowcover.

One of my dreams is to have a house in the mtns somewhere. Just a place to go to in the summer to cool off and then to perhaps use it to stay and ski in the winter. I prefer the White's, but maybe Pete can build me something if I ever win the lottery..lol.

I've had the same dream. Last spring I made a decision to just do it. Bought an acre of land near Waterville Valley (only $10k!) and just got my building permits last week and start clearing as soon as the snow is gone. It's possible, just do it!

Just got Verizon highspeed here last year. Having only dial-up was a drag but a small price to pay for living in a snowy, desolate place.lol Don't forget Peru, my favorite.

Nice...I know that many of the towns just west of you may not get it until 2013 or so according to the local papers. Ah, yes...should've included Peru as well since it's technically the highest town in MA.

I'm not that big on hunting, would much rather fish. Skiing and fishing are World Class. With air mobility you can access incredible stuff.

IF you're ever looking for a seat filler....skilled fiserhman and outdoorsman. Skiing...advanced intermediate rapidly improving but you won't see me free skiing off a face.....

ended up with 3.5". nice little surprise for me. up to 85.5 for the season

you are friends with Pauly Shore? cool

:gun_bandana:

3" here Monday... did not expect much here (certainly did not expect a complete shutout, though)

Did your forecast do better than those of just about every paid full time met I can think of? (honest question, did not see yours - maybe you nailed it for SNE)

I got 2.5" IMBY Monday.

I didn't put out any maps for SNE for the last couple storms. For NH, I was slightly on the high side Monday, but my ranges were still good. For tonight, I did fairly well (compared to others). Said an inch at most for southwest NH and a few snow showers for eastern NH tomorrow afternoon.

I can't believe some of the numbers I was seeing/hearing for the area for tonight. Obviously rip and reading the GFS

I got 2.5" IMBY Monday.

I didn't put out any maps for SNE for the last couple storms. For NH, I was slightly on the high side Monday, but my ranges were still good. For tonight, I did fairly well (compared to others). Said an inch at most for southwest NH and a few snow showers for eastern NH tomorrow afternoon.

I can't believe some of the numbers I was seeing/hearing for the area for tonight. Obviously rip and reading the GFS

You did well, most took a big weiner up the shoot but won't admit it.

GFS is everyones favorite model to bash when it's surpressed SE but when it's most NW rock it.

Eh.

Holy sh*t... I hadn't seen that yet! Wow is he lucky.

Its been an interesting year for avalanches around here thanks to all the snow we've gotten this season. A couple weeks ago some guy and his dog were caught in a big slide coming off the Mansfield cliffs into Smugglers Notch. He was very lucky to be alive and able to call 911 after the incident. Smuggs Ski Patrol responded into the Notch here and found a guy that had been carried hundreds of feet through trees and rocks. He broke his pelvis in half, broke 6 ribs, major contusions and had to spend 5 days in Copley Hospital in Morrisville.

There have been several incidents here around Stowe/Mansfield/Smugglers Notch this season regarding avalanches and definitely reminds you that these are decent sized mountains capable of doing some damage when the snow slides.

Holy sh*t... I hadn't seen that yet! Wow is he lucky.

Its been an interesting year for avalanches around here thanks to all the snow we've gotten this season. A couple weeks ago some guy and his dog were caught in a big slide coming off the Mansfield cliffs into Smugglers Notch. He was very lucky to be alive and able to call 911 after the incident. Smuggs Ski Patrol responded into the Notch here and found a guy that had been carried hundreds of feet through trees and rocks. He broke his pelvis in half, broke 6 ribs, major contusions and had to spend 5 days in Copley Hospital in Morrisville.

There have been several incidents here around Stowe/Mansfield/Smugglers Notch this season regarding avalanches and definitely reminds you that these are decent sized mountains capable of doing some damage when the snow slides.

Last time I was in AK we kicked off some small slides. We are pretty diligent about digging test pits and won't risk it if it's sketchy. However, as you know, you never know. I saw a huge slide when I was skiing at Mt.Baker a few years ago. It was across the valley on Mt.Shuksan. Pretty intense as it was a huge slide and terminated by going off a 1000' plus cliff. You could hear it even though we were a long way away.

Archived