• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in our area I think it was something like this

below 500': 1"

500-600': 1.5"

600-750': 2"

750'+: 2-3"

That's pretty similar to here, though I think I'd put the 2" contour slightly higher. Probably more up over 700 feet. Looks like ORH airport had 1.3" a bit over 2 hours ago...that was before that nice last burst and during the end of the one before that, so they should have finished over 2". But who knows if they will measure again. I had more than that though by 2pm, so who knows.

The 900-950mb was very cold so it wasn't suprrising that a lot of places on the CP never even mixed with rain at the onset, they just started off as straight snow.

There were two inhibitors today for getting a bit higher amounts...the daytime aspect with the sun angle....which wouldn't matter too much except for #2...the snow intensity. Snow never really got heavy except maybe in very brief bursts. It was mostly a moderate snow or 3/4 SN-. Its tough to slam that into the Mar 21 sun angle at peak day light...if it was +SN, then it wouldn't have mattered.

I personally thought we'd see a little bit more wide area of heavy snow that woul dlast for an hour or two straight. But that never quite materialized. Still, it was fun to get the monkey off the back for March at least and ~2.5" wasn't too bad for here. A lot of elevation dependency though for accumulations. Not ptype.

Yeah we sort of had the DS race in on the srn side of the vortmax as radar started to look a little ragged in eastern NY State, but at least it tried to redevelop again and give you 2"+.

The lower levels below 900mb are so vital this time of year, around here. That's the layer to diagnose for snow potential, because models will never handle a situation where we wetbulb from 40F to 32F. They'll always have a wide area of 34 or 36F temps, when that happens. I never thought ptype would be the issue, but was more concerned about how the dynamics looked coming through here.

Light rain and sleet here now. Tiny pellets.

Snow cover is back on all of the bear spots. Nice little event.

Biggest March event since 2008. Hopefully we get one more that tops 2007.

edit: NWS Taunton got amounts right on the money out this way. They've down well all winter in W. Ma.

How much is OTG?

Man elevation is huge. The hill about half a mile away still had a solid coating. It might be maybe 80' higher than where I live.

Driving around town this afternoon

1,000 feet ..2 inches and trees plastered and still are

800 feet about 1.5 inches and snow on trees but meltin off

between 650-700 feet 1 inch..no snow on trees

below 500 feet..less than an inch

Driving around town this afternoon

1,000 feet ..2 inches and trees plastered and still are

800 feet about 1.5 inches and snow on trees but meltin off

between 650-700 feet 1 inch..no snow on trees

below 500 feet..less than an inch

At this latitude with an elevation of 111', I'm on par with about 750' of elevation at your latitude.

Amazing that Kevin's still ahead of Will YTD. I think with the upcoming pattern both will hit 100". I have a little more work to do, as I am at 84.9 after this storm.

He still picked up .5 on me today though..It's nip and tuck.

I need this next event to be a south of the pike special..though i think it hits all of us with 6+

Archived