12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter returns with a vengeance thread again

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about waxing skis, but when I first started my first run at the top of Wachusett, my skis could not move due to sticking to the snow.

After a couple of minutes they were fine, but what would cause the sticking?

Snow adhering to the bottoms of your skis. Waxing is a lost art but I find it crucial. Go to a ski shop and get some waxes (different colors will represent different temps each should be used at). Even if you just scuff the bottoms of your skis you'll notice a difference immediately. I have an old iron that I hot wax with then I cork it and scrape. Check it out, before you know it you'll have a ski room just for tuning.

Snow adhering to the bottoms of your skis. Waxing is a lost art but I find it crucial. Go to a ski shop and get some waxes (different colors will represent different temps each should be used at). Even if you just scuff the bottoms of your skis you'll notice a difference immediately. I have an old iron that I hot wax with then I cork it and scrape. Check it out, before you know it you'll have a ski room just for tuning.

Thanks

I figured as much

Nice. Looks like a great wintry place.

Yes, it is. The 2K+ parts of the Berkshires probably average about 100-110" in an average winter, unlike the valley which is probably generally between 65" and 90" depending on location. PSF is 77", I believe. The Berkshire crest gets the best of both worlds with respect to upsloping from both the routine cold, moist NW flow on the backside of storms and lake effect leftovers as well as some enhancement during nor'easters. The elevation helps to really help retain the snow at this time of year too. Although Becket is definitely one of the better snow towns around here, my first pick would probably be either Florida (ironically), Savoy, or Windsor. The bad thing about many of these hill towns is the lack of broadband internet or cable. I'd imagine satellite isn't too reliable in these parts in the winter...

funny little event today. Drove all around MA and NH so it was interesting.

For ex: Literally no snow in parts of Newton near Auburndale and Newton Corner, while Blue Hills had 1 to maybe 2" with elevation.

The 100-300' plateau rmade the difference between a coating to 1.5" and nearly nothing.

around 3" here at the house.

I spend as much time as possible in snowy places.

Yes, it is. The 2K+ parts of the Berkshires probably average about 100-110" in an average winter, unlike the valley which is probably generally between 65" and 90" depending on location. PSF is 77", I believe. The Berkshire crest gets the best of both worlds with respect to upsloping from both the routine cold, moist NW flow on the backside of storms and lake effect leftovers as well as some enhancement during nor'easters. The elevation helps to really help retain the snow at this time of year too. Although Becket is definitely one of the better snow towns around here, my first pick would probably be either Florida (ironically), Savoy, or Windsor. The bad thing about many of these hill towns is the lack of broadband internet or cable. I'd imagine satellite isn't too reliable in these parts in the winter...

One of my dreams is to have a house in the mtns somewhere. Just a place to go to in the summer to cool off and then to perhaps use it to stay and ski in the winter. I prefer the White's, but maybe Pete can build me something if I ever win the lottery..lol.

Just got Verizon highspeed here last year. Having only dial-up was a drag but a small price to pay for living in a snowy, desolate place.lol Don't forget Peru, my favorite.

funny little event today. Drove all around MA and NH so it was interesting.

For ex: Literally no snow in parts of Newton near Auburndale and Newton Corner, while Blue Hills had 1 to maybe 2" with elevation.

The 100-300' plateau rmade the difference between a coating to 1.5" and nearly nothing.

around 3" here at the house.

Where did you notice those snow amounts? Funny, because I was thinking about that area a lot today.

WTF, i didn't realize it until I got back from the store as I was admiring those big flakes about 20 min ago...but back here we have a thin glaze on everything. Must have been freezing drizzle earlier.

Yeah, my coat and poles and stuff were icing up at the mountain after the snow had mostly stopped.

My wife is out and about tonight. Hope she drives ok.

One of my dreams is to have a house in the mtns somewhere. Just a place to go to in the summer to cool off and then to perhaps use it to stay and ski in the winter. I prefer the White's, but maybe Pete can build me something if I ever win the lottery..lol.

We can build you a modest little getaway for as little as $2,000,000.lol If you're serious, find land, acquire land, plan to build a small retreat and save. You can build something small for a reasonable price. My dream is to be in Alaska, bought some of my friend's land. Just have a crude lean-to there now. Nice view of Denali though.

We can build you a modest little getaway for as little as $2,000,000.lol If you're serious, find land, acquire land, plan to build a small retreat and save. You can build something small for a reasonable price. My dream is to be in Alaska, bought some of my friend's land. Just have a crude lean-to there now. Nice view of Denali though.

I don't know if I could do AK, but man I fell in love with the Rockies when I was out in CO. Just beautiful. Nothing like a summer tstm producing snow at 12k..lol.

I don't know if I could do AK, but man I fell in love with the Rockies when I was out in CO. Just beautiful. Nothing like a summer tstm producing snow at 12k..lol.

They can be sneaky storms...

We have family in Evergreen, CO (8K at their house), and I guess the thunderstorms come outa nowhere and are pretty intense.

Food shopping is interesting. The store is at 5000 ft or so, and their food explodes if they don't "burp" it (ice cream, chips , etc)

Visit it once and you'll be hooked.lol (my friend is the only person I know that fishes for Salmon in Birkenstocks)

Archived