• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March

DaculaWeather

31.4 with scatter frost and frozen windshields for me this morning...

I just escaped frost at 33. Several reports of it around though. Usually I am one of the colder spots in the radiational cooling, but glad I didn't get hit by frost. Everything is in full bloom except the azaleas, which are about to open. The rain and cool temps have made the grass grow like crazy, and it can't be cut anytime soon thanks to being so wet.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look how wet it's been over much of Ala, Ga this month. Over 10" and maybe over12" in some spots. By contrast, slightly less than 1" just west of Wilmington.

:wub: :wub: I hope this continues so I don't have to see this any longer....

DROUGHT STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

330 PM EST THU MAR 24 2011

...MODERATE DROUGHT CONTINUES TO EXPAND EASTWARD...

RAINFALL OVER THE LAST WEEK WAS BETWEEN 0.5 INCHES TO AS MUCH AS 2

INCHES BELOW NORMAL ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTH CAROLINA AND EASTERN

GEORGIA WITH THE DRIER WEATHER FOUND ACROSS FAR NORTHWEST SOUTH

CAROLINA AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA. HOWEVER A COMPLEX STORM SYSTEM

PRODUCED SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL ACROSS PARTS OF THE NORTHWEST QUARTER

OF SOUTH CAROLINA AND THE CENTRAL SAVANNAH RIVER AREA. AMOUNTS THERE

RANGED FROM 0.5 INCHES BELOW NORMAL TO AS MUCH AS 2 INCHES ABOVE

NORMAL IN SPOTS.

SUMMARY OF IMPACTS...

THERE CONTINUES TO BE LITTLE IMPACT FROM THE DRY CONDITIONS ACROSS

THE AREA. HOWEVER WITH THE GROWING SEASON BEGINNING...DEMANDS ON

SOIL MOISTURE WILL INCREASE SIGNIFICANTLY. ONE HUNDRED HOUR FUELS

STILL HAVE 11 TO 15 PERCENT MOISTURE AND THE 1000 HOUR FUELS STILL

HAVE FROM 16 TO OVER 30 PERCENT MOISTURE.

THE SOUTH CAROLINA DROUGHT RESPONSE COMMITTEE DROUGHT DESIGNATION

REMAIN UNCHANGED FROM THE FEBRUARY 3 2011 MEETING.

INCIPIENT DROUGHT CONTINUES IN CHESTERFIELD...LANCASTER...

FAIRFIELD...KERSHAW...LEE...SUMTER...CLARENDON...CALHOUN...

ORANGEBURG...BARNWELL...BAMBERG...AIKEN...LEXINGTON...

RICHLAND...NEWBERRY...SALUDA...EDGEFIELD AND MCCORMICK COUNTIES IN

OUR HYDROLOGIC SERVICE AREA.

NO CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE DROUGHT STATUS IN GEORGIA.

SOIL MOISTURE CONDITIONS...

THE U.S. DROUGHT MONITOR VALID ON MARCH 24 2011 FOR DATA THROUGH

MARCH 22 2011 SHOWED AN EXPANSION OF MODERATE DROUGHT...D1...FURTHER

INTO SOUTHERN SOUTH CAROLINA AND ABNORMALLY DRY CONDITIONS...D0...

HAS EXPANDED TO THE COAST OF SOUTH CAROLINA.

MODERATE DROUGHT...D1...EXPANDED FURTHER INTO THE LOW COUNTRY OF

SOUTH CAROLINA AND NOW COVERS ALL OF THE CENTRAL SAVANNAH RIVER AREA

IN GEORGIA AS WELL.

THE D1 AREA WAS NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM NORTH CAROLINA ACROSS NORTH

CENTRAL DILLON TO NORTHWEST MARION COUNTY AND SOUTHWEST TO SOUTHERN

CLARENDON COUNTY AND SOUTHWEST FROM THERE TO EASTERN BEAUFORT COUNTY

TO THE ATLANTIC COAST. THE NORTHERN BORDER OF THE D1 AREA EXTENDED

FROM NORTH CAROLINA ACROSS EXTREME NORTHWEST YORK COUNTY SOUTHWEST

TO EXTREME NORTHERN MCCORMICK COUNTY INTO NORTHEAST GEORGIA.

ABNORMALLY DRY CONDITIONS...D0...EXPANDED TO THE ATLANTIC COAST OF

SOUTH CAROLINA. THE D0 AREA WAS SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM FROM NORTH

CAROLINA ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL DILLON TO NORTHWEST MARION COUNTY AND

SOUTHWEST TO SOUTHERN CLARENDON COUNTY AND SOUTHWEST FROM THERE TO

EASTERN BEAUFORT COUNTY TO THE ATLANTIC COAST.

THERE WAS A NARROW STRIP OF D0 AREA ACROSS NORTHWEST SOUTH CAROLINA

EXTENDING INTO NORTH CAROLINA AND BACK INTO GEORGIA. THE AREA WAS

SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM NORTH CAROLINA ACROSS NORTHWEST CHEROKEE

COUNTY SOUTHWEST TO FAR SOUTHEAST OCONEE COUNTY IN NORTH CAROLINA.

THE D0 AREA WAS NORTHWEST OF LINE FROM NORTH CAROLINA ACROSS EXTREME

NORTHWEST YORK COUNTY SOUTHWEST TO EXTREME NORTHERN MCCORMICK COUNTY

INTO NORTHEAST GEORGIA.

FAR NORTHWEST SOUTH CAROLINA CONTINUED TO BE DROUGHT FREE.

GROUND WATER CONDITIONS...

THE GROUND WATER NETWORK MAINTAINED BY THE UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL

SURVEY WAS USED IN THIS REPORT. GROUND WATER LEVELS CONTINUE TO RISE

SLOWLY AS WINTER RECHARGE RAINS PERCOLATE INTO THE SUBSOIL.

THE LEVELS CONTINUE TO BE LOW IN THE SAVANNAH RIVER AREA...BUT

AROUND NORMAL FOR NORTHERN SOUTH CAROLINA AND IN THE LOW COUNTRY

ALONG THE ATLANTIC COAST. THE DRAW ON SOUTH CAROLINA WELL AT JACKSON

WAS RESTORED RESULTING IN A DROP IN THE WATER LEVEL OF OVER 1.5

FEET. THIS WAS NOT DUE TO CLIMATE CONDITIONS

A HIGHER NUMBER MEANS A LOWER WATER TABLE AND THEREFORE LESS GROUND

WATER. A MINUS NUMBER INDICATES LESS GROUND WATER.

BAKER CREEK STATE PARK WELL BERKELEY COUNTY AIRPORT

MARCH 16 2011 39.50 FEET 59.04 FEET

MARCH 23 2011 39.44 FEET 10-24 PCTL 58.96 FEET 25-74 PCTL

DIFFERENCE PLUS 0.06 FEET PLUS 0.08 FEET

JACKSON SC CHESTER COUNTY

MARCH 16 2011 161.49 FEET 88.12 FEET

MARCH 23 2011 163.05 FEET LT 10 PCTL 88.03 FEET 25-74 PCTL

DIFFERENCE MINUS 1.56 FEET PLUS 0.09 FEET

RIVER AND STREAMFLOW CONDITIONS...

STREAM FLOW CONTINUES TO DECREASE FROM LAST WEEK. OVER THE LAST 7

DAYS ENDING ON MARCH 23 2011 AVERAGE STREAM FLOW SHOWED SEVERE

HYDROLOGIC DROUGHT...LESS THAN 5 PERCENTILE RANGE...ACROSS THE

EDISTO AND SMALL RIVER BASINS IN SOUTHERN SOUTH CAROLINA AND ALONG

THE BLACK...LYNCHES AND THE COOPER RIVER BASINS IN NORTHEAST SOUTH

CAROLINA AND RIVER BASINS IN FAR NORTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA. MODERATE

HYDROLOGIC DROUGHT...BETWEEN 6 AND 9 PERCENTILE RANGE WAS FOUND IN

THE SAVANNAH RIVER BASIN. BELOW NORMAL FLOW...BETWEEN 10 AND 24

PERCENTILE RANGE WAS FOUND IN THE SANTEE AND PEE DEE RIVER BASINS.

THE SALUDA AND BASINS IN FAR NORTHERN SOUTH CAROLINA HAD FLOW ABOVE

THE 25 PERCENTILE RANGE.

A SNAPSHOT OF FLOW FOR MARCH 24 2011 SHOWED THAT 84 PERCENT OF

RANKED GAGES REPORTED FLOW IN THE LESS THAN 25 PERCENTILE RANGE. NOW

27 PERCENT OF THE GAGES REPORTED RECORD LOW FLOW. FLOW FOR SELECTED

RANKED GAGES FOR MARCH 24 2011 REPORTED ONLY 44 PERCENT OF MEDIAN

FLOW.

RESERVOIRS...

LEVELS ON ALL SELECTED RESERVOIRS EXCEPT LAKE RUSSELL HAVE RISEN

OVER THE PAST 7 DAYS.

LAKE RUSSELL LAKE THURMOND

MARCH 17 2011 474.45 FEET 326.99 FEET

MARCH 24 2011 474.32 FEET 327.42 FEET

DIFFERENCE MINUS 0.13 PLUS 0.43 FEET

LAKE GREENWOOD LAKE MURRAY

MARCH 17 2011 437.73 FEET 358.39 FEET

MARCH 24 2011 433.38 FEET 358.41 FEET

DIFFERENCE PLUS 0.65 FEET PLUS 0.02 FEET

LAKE MARION LAKE WATEREE

MARCH 17 2011 75.07 FEET 97.38 FEET

MARCH 24 2011 75.15 FEET 97.54 FEET

DIFFERENCE PLUS 0.08 FEET PLUS 0.16 FEET

THE LEVEL OF LAKE WATEREE IS 0.06 FEET BELOW THE 97.6 FOOT TARGET

LEVEL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. THE LEVEL OF LAKE THURMOND WAS 0.61

FEET BELOW AVERAGE FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR AND THE LEVEL OF LAKE

RUSSELL IS 0.36 FEET BELOW AVERAGE FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR.

DATA FOR THIS SEGMENT WAS GATHERED FROM THE UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL

SURVEY...THE UNITED STATES ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS AND DUKE ENERGY.

CLIMATE SUMMARY...

PRECIPITATION FROM MARCH 01 2011 THROUGH MARCH 23 2011

STATION PRECIPITATION DEPARTURE FROM NORMAL PERCENT OF NORMAL

COLUMBIA SC 1.10 INCHES MINUS 2.39 INCHES 32 PERCENT

AUGUSTA GA 1.63 INCHES MINUS 1.90 INCHES 46 PERCENT

PRECIPITATION FROM JANUARY 01 2011 THROUGH MARCH 23 2011

COLUMBIA SC 7.01 INCHES MINUS 4.98 INCHES 58 PERCENT

AUGUSTA GA 8.05 INCHES MINUS 4.09 INCHES 66 PERCENT

Look how wet it's been over much of Ala, Ga this month. Over 10" and maybe over12" in some spots. By contrast, slightly less than 1" just west of Wilmington.

post-38-0-12944700-1301404756.jpg

Robert,

These observations shown are right on. I live right on the purple border of that map in NW upstate sc in pickens county and we have had 9.65 inches of rain so far in march. Will probably go way over 10 for the month after tomorrow and thursday.

Great call last week forecasting the wetter pattern we were going into! I have only been a member since december and I really look forward each week in getting your insight in what the models are trying to say what is going to happen. You did an excellent job over the winter and I look forward to this coming winter and the winters in the future because it looks like we are going into a much colder pattern.

:snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

Robert,

These observations shown are right on. I live right on the purple border of that map in NW upstate sc in pickens county and we have had 9.65 inches of rain so far in march. Will probably go way over 10 for the month after tomorrow and thursday.

Great call last week forecasting the wetter pattern we were going into! I have only been a member since december and I really look forward each week in getting your insight in what the models are trying to say what is going to happen. You did an excellent job over the winter and I look forward to this coming winter and the winters in the future because it looks like we are going into a much colder pattern.

:snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

thanks for the nice words. Stick around through the year. Even though you probably won't like what I have to say in the Summer months usually where you and I are.:arrowhead:Maybe the flow will be different this warm season and we get into thunderstorms instead of downslope and capped. I've seen this pattern over and over the last few years, Feb and March, sometimes April are wet, but usually around April the ridge develops and we go right into record heat and dry , just when you need rain the most and evap. rates are highest, situated squaredly over the Upstate and lower western piedmont/s. Foothills of NC. I wish we could save up some of the rain for June and July, when hardly a drop is around. I know last year was trying to get back closer to normal for most in this region, yet somehow it still missed me for all of June and July...got hit finally in August. I'd love to see just average popcorn thunderstorms return.

thanks for the nice words. Stick around through the year. Even though you probably won't like what I have to say in the Summer months usually where you and I are.:arrowhead:Maybe the flow will be different this warm season and we get into thunderstorms instead of downslope and capped. I've seen this pattern over and over the last few years, Feb and March, sometimes April are wet, but usually around April the ridge develops and we go right into record heat and dry , just when you need rain the most and evap. rates are highest, situated squaredly over the Upstate and lower western piedmont/s. Foothills of NC. I wish we could save up some of the rain for June and July, when hardly a drop is around. I know last year was trying to get back closer to normal for most in this region, yet somehow it still missed me for all of June and July...got hit finally in August. I'd love to see just average popcorn thunderstorms return.

Yep it is very close if not dead on! 9.33" here so far this month and north of Walhalla is 10.25".

I'm over 17" this year so far with more on the way :thumbsup: Really wish ya'll could get in on this sogginess

Yep it is very close if not dead on! 9.33" here so far this month and north of Walhalla is 10.25".

I'm over 17" this year so far with more on the way :thumbsup: Really wish ya'll could get in on this sogginess

yeah you guys in Oconee and northern Greenville, and points west are in a different regime, and have been for a few years now really. Same goes for the Summer time especially, when we can't buy a drop just east of you in June and July. There's no doubt from your area west and southwest are in some banner times for precipitation. I'd be in hog heaven for sure.

tell me about it :thumbsdown:

Hopefully things will work out for your area this time. There most likely will be a good secondary development along the GA or SC coast around Thursday night, Friday AM and that will benefit you I think. Eventually things will change to where the eastern sections of the Carolinas are much wetter, I don't know when though. But I have noticed that when central and northern Alabama and GA are wet, like they've been for a couple years, then eastern Carolinas are the opposite end of the spectrum. The other shoe will drop sometime.

I just escaped frost at 33. Several reports of it around though. Usually I am one of the colder spots in the radiational cooling, but glad I didn't get hit by frost. Everything is in full bloom except the azaleas, which are about to open. The rain and cool temps have made the grass grow like crazy, and it can't be cut anytime soon thanks to being so wet.

Got down to 32 last night, with just a very light frost in a few wide open areas. Everything is growing crazy in my yard too already cut the grass once and it needs it again. I hate to say this but my yard can't handle anymore rain at the moment it is completely waterlogged, need a couple days of full sun.

It's hard to believe that last year when we were entering April that temperatures were pushing close to 90° during that first week for highs and now we're looking to be much cooler than that. Here was the data from those high temperatures that I came across for my area. Three days in particular were chosen:

April 1-7 2010 Highs:

2nd: 87°

5th: 87°

6th: 89°

It was a scorcher on those days and had the AC kicking on and everything just to stay cool. :yikes:

It's hard to believe that last year when we were entering April that temperatures were pushing close to 90° during that first week for highs and now we're looking to be much cooler than that. Here was the data from those high temperatures that I came across for my area. Three days in particular were chosen:

April 1-7 2010 Highs:

2nd: 87°

5th: 87°

6th: 89°

It was a scorcher on those days and had the AC kicking on and everything just to stay cool. :yikes:

Last summer was miserable. I hope we have more of a normal summer. And I would love to see some severe weather around these parts very soon!

I think I've read snippets, but haven't heard a lot of buzz about possible snow in NC mountains Thur night - Friday. I am guessing its not going to be a big deal since I haven't seen a topic dedicated to it.? And I do have ulterior motives, trying to decide to take off work half day Thur and head that way if it was going to be something. I tried to do a little research and I see the chance thur and then Sat, but on the GFS doesn't look like much moisture. Also saw the cold (and moisture???) that has been talked about around the 5th/6th.

I think I've read snippets, but haven't heard a lot of buzz about possible snow in NC mountains Thur night - Friday. I am guessing its not going to be a big deal since I haven't seen a topic dedicated to it.? And I do have ulterior motives, trying to decide to take off work half day Thur and head that way if it was going to be something. I tried to do a little research and I see the chance thur and then Sat, but on the GFS doesn't look like much moisture. Also saw the cold (and moisture???) that has been talked about around the 5th/6th.

Right now doesnt' look like much on GFS or ECMWF, but the NAM is more insistent on moisture and lift then, we'll have to wait to see how the 12z handles it all. Its a complicated channelled vort swinging in behind the main low that might hit New England.

The only spots it seems you can go is the ski resorts or right up on the Pkwy taking back roads to see snow this time of yr. They seem to have a good pulse on the snow potential this yr up on the Pkwy. They shut it down 6 - 8 hours before the threat of even an inch occurs. Frustrating but thats why you know where the backroads are. Where abouts did you have in mind?

The only spots it seems you can go is the ski resorts or right up on the Pkwy taking back roads to see snow this time of yr. They seem to have a good pulse on the snow potential this yr up on the Pkwy. They shut it down 6 - 8 hours before the threat of even an inch occurs. Frustrating but thats why you know where the backroads are. Where abouts did you have in mind?

We usually go to Beech Mountain if we feel like the 4.5 - 5 hour trip. We don't ski/board much anymore, we just stay at something like Klonteska and walk around in the snow and sled, and eat pizza at the brick oven. If not we hit Maggie Valley and head to Soco gap, but no hotels there at the gap, and the snow is a lot less down in the valley. We always see snow at Balsam mountain? on the way, though, thats much closer. I hear there is a campground there. The closest spot, which is kind of dicey, is Highlands. One time my brother and I chased it all the way to Beech, only to hit Highlands on the way home to find 15-20 inches there. I think that was in 2003 or something like that.

We usually go to Beech Mountain if we feel like the 4.5 - 5 hour trip. We don't ski/board much anymore, we just stay at something like Klonteska and walk around in the snow and sled, and eat pizza at the brick oven. If not we hit Maggie Valley and head to Soco gap, but no hotels there at the gap, and the snow is a lot less down in the valley. We always see snow at Balsam mountain? on the way, though, thats much closer. I hear there is a campground there. The closest spot, which is kind of dicey, is Highlands. One time my brother and I chased it all the way to Beech, only to hit Highlands on the way home to find 15-20 inches there. I think that was in 2003 or something like that.

All great places. I know the owner of the campground at Balsam, "Moonshine Creek Campground", however that elevation is roughly 3200', which is not ideal this time of yr for snow. I would say head on up to Beech only b/c they have an entire town to play around in as you mentioned above. I think that is the biggest diff btw Sugar/Beech and Cat is that Cat doesnt have slopeside lodging which kills the appeal for most folks. Maggie Valley is not a bad town but def a 5 - 8 min treck down the hill from Cat which puts off alot of people as they want the most convient experience; typical american mentality. Let me know if you do make a trip and snap off some pics. I can post them on my site as they are local spots. Have fun and be safe!

One heck of a t-storm since 5 am and still going on. Heavy rain, big winds, constant thunder and lightning...waiting on the hail, and no severe warning of course!!:gun_bandana:

Funny stuff about the fire. I could have slept through it but as far as I know, Nothing major here in terms of lighting this time but I don't know if I've ever seen so many strong storms in such cold conditions. Every single system seems to be over performing with storms given the less than idea surface conditions. To me all of this has been pretty wild and we have been fortunate to get it.

Another half inch this morning here...feels colder than it really is too.

All great places. I know the owner of the campground at Balsam, "Moonshine Creek Campground", however that elevation is roughly 3200', which is not ideal this time of yr for snow. I would say head on up to Beech only b/c they have an entire town to play around in as you mentioned above. I think that is the biggest diff btw Sugar/Beech and Cat is that Cat doesnt have slopeside lodging which kills the appeal for most folks. Maggie Valley is not a bad town but def a 5 - 8 min treck down the hill from Cat which puts off alot of people as they want the most convient experience; typical american mentality. Let me know if you do make a trip and snap off some pics. I can post them on my site as they are local spots. Have fun and be safe!

I think they have some on Clingmans dome, Or maybe waterrock knob. There was still a little snow on top of Newfound gap last Friday.

Archived