• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March

DaculaWeather

Two years ago on this day I had a tornado pass within 300ish yards of my house. My wife remarked how windy it looked ( keep in mind I had just woke up I was working night shift), I hadnt looked at radar and there was no thunder etc. I opened the front door stepped outside and noticed debris in the air ( siding and big branches etc) heard a noise like trees snapping ( cause thats what was happening) and looked left and there it was crossing a field that use to be a trailer park. Luckily it was weak and most damage was cosmetic with no major damage done.

Here is a video shot just up the road but that is exactly what it looked like out my front door only I had a actual tight rotation all the way to the ground which only lasted 30-40 secs I bet, the tornado had lifted for the most part by the time they shot this video but the overall rotation with this thing was HUGE

http://witn.mycaptur...&Sort=PageViews

http://witn.mycaptur...&Sort=PageViews

http://www.erh.noaa....27/20090327.php

The pics below are of what was typical damage wise plus some of the trees uprooted....

Awesome clips and cloud motions. As for opening the windows that is a myth and a bad idea :).

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome clips and cloud motions. As for opening the windows that is a myth and a bad idea :).

I know I cringe everytime I hear it but it is one of if not the most common myth about tornados. What really sucks is me the storm chaser has a tornado pass by 300 yards from my house and I get no footage zip zero nada since I had just woke up and wasnt expecting to see that when I went outside.....all I got of the storm is this lousy shot out the back screen in which I know what I am looking at ( massive wall cloud spinning like crazy) but to everyone else it looks like nothing at all.

I know I cringe everytime I hear it but it is one of if not the most common myth about tornados. What really sucks is me the storm chaser has a tornado pass by 300 yards from my house and I get no footage zip zero nada since I had just woke up and wasnt expecting to see that when I went outside.....all I got of the storm is this lousy shot out the back screen in which I know what I am looking at ( massive wall cloud spinning like crazy) but to everyone else it looks like nothing at all.

It is alright I sound pretty bad with a thick LI accent well before I was a met when I took a storm chase tour in '97. I am still looking for my NC tornado and I am more hungry then ever after last October's close call. I hope we get at least one MDT this year.

It is alright I sound pretty bad with a thick LI accent well before I was a met when I took a storm chase tour in '97. I am still looking for my NC tornado and I am more hungry then ever after last October's close call. I hope we get at least one MDT this year.

Thats not my videos. just in case I confused you its some random guy that posted it on a local news stations website.

UNC ACC Champs regular season. Duke Champs of the Tournament.

Got much colder than forecast overnight, MHX has a freeze watch for tonight ( Mon night) but nothing for right now and the current temp is the same as the one forecasted for Mon night ( 30) and we have been below freezing since 2 am.

.54" since midnight....2.70" since Saturday....9.41" for the month.:thumbsup:

Was woke up at 415am to thunder and lightning.

Wow we're close, i'm pretty sure i'm over 10" now, will find out when i get home from work. Add more wed/thur and we could go over a foot...that's crazy!

.54" since midnight....2.70" since Saturday....9.41" for the month.:thumbsup:

Was woke up at 415am to thunder and lightning.

Same here around 7. Second morning in a row I've been woke up by it.

The storms/lighting/thunder rain here the last few days have been pretty amazing. Haven't been able to post about it until now but have had just shy of 3 inches of rain the last few days. Including experiencing quarter to slightly larger than quarter size hail in lexington (east of athens), saturday.

What has stood out above everything though is the insanely loud thunder and the prolific lightning..despite temps in the upper 30s this morning and mid 40s saturday. I had a freak strike that hit about 50 yards away in the woods behind the house. I say freak strike because the closest storm was a very weak one about 25 miles away, while there was only light rain here. There was no thunder or lighting before the strike that I remember (or even after I think) and it absolutely scared the piss out of everyone I talked to lol. I've been close to quite a few nearby strikes before but this was unbelievably loud in comparison. That was one of those strikes that everyone is warned about because it was totally out of the blue.

The thunder has been ear drum smashing loud. Much louder than you normally hear it. I've looked into why thunder is louder in some storms than others and haven't ever really found an answer but my theory is this time it had to do with the inversion trapping the sound waves and not allowing them to be dissipated upward...similar to how an inversion will trap light causing a mirage. Regardless, the lighting/thunder has been something else. It's been especially impressive given how damn cold it's been.

I thought on numerous occasions Eyewall would have been impressed, that was for sure.

Picked up 1.10 inches overnight/early this morning...despite the nam/gfs showing only light amounts, less than 0.25. Your totals are Very impressive for the month to say the least. I haven't picked up as much as you this month but still an impressive 7 inches or so. Ground is totally saturated and these storms have really caused a lot of runoff and localized flooding in low areas.

Archived