• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco III

Baroclinic Zone

Its definitely going to be a ridiculous CCB with that ULL...but I just don't think the two precip shields will be as separated as the GFS shows. The low probably won't outrun the upper level support that much.

LOL look at the Ray screw zone of a measly inch.

I agree. It's something to watch, but I think more of a classic CCB seems in the cards. The euro had an text book CCB. The ensemble precip probs are juicy too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

link please and thank you

Noreaster07 posted it and I just asked for a link :)

Since this storm looks like it might be split into two parts, an analog I've seen being brought is Dec 2003.

his response:

A-L-E-X, on 24 January 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

Hey do you have a link for this?

Its a pay site but thats where the EURO pbp comes from as well

Euro, GGEM and UKMET.

GGEM is still slightly split at 60h, but its all one shield by the time its at our latitude.

The RGEM is def splitting it out...signs were there at 48 on the 12z, and it's visible on the 48h at 18z. I think the GGEM ens are pointing to the same thing judging from the output.

Be interesting to see where it goes, I think the more we see a split the better the chance of a colder adjustment. I'm thinking the split shield may materialize, but let's see how it looks later in the 0z. (for the out of context crowd...I agree it all washes out as it approaches/is over us anyway)

Its definitely going to be a ridiculous CCB with that ULL...but I just don't think the two precip shields will be as separated as the GFS shows. The low probably won't outrun the upper level support that much.

imagine if that ULL keeps trending stronger......wasnt it stronger on earlier Euro runs a few days ago?

yikes!

Will, some people are bringing up Dec 2003 as an analog (because it was also a 2 part storm); obviously there was more blocking for that storm, but what do you think of the analog?

Yep, if you get a foot you go above that pace, you definitely are nearing that depth and will have it for much much longer, 95/96 was full of warm melting days. The key will be an Epic March, but Brett man IDK, totally feeling it, if we get that Strato warming it's a lock.

Forget 95-96

|

v

Blows for most of Maine. Fortunately it's the off-hour GFS, and we're still more than two days out. Then again, this has been a CT winter...

I really wouldn't be concerned with downeast and S ME. Something with these off hour runs on the NCEP models have been making them go a bit kooky during this threat. Not sure why. As I mentioned yesterday, it reminds me of 5 years ago when they did that all the time.

Perhaps there's something to it, but its awfully difficult to just believe the 18z OP GFS over the uber consistent Euro and ensembles.

Toss it

GYX gets tepid in their AFD: "NAM HAS LOW WELL TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE AREA WITH LITTLE IMPACT ON THE FORECAST AREA. GFS BRINGS THE LOW FARTHER NORTH WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW ALONG THE COAST. ECMWF IS A BIT FARTHER NORTH AND EVEN HEAVIER WITH PRECIP. PLAN TO USE A BLEND OF THE NAM/GFS MODELS FOR FORECAST...WHICH IS SIMILAR TO THE CURRENT FORECAST."

They should pull a Costanza and try forecasting the opposite -- they just might get a forecast correct this winter.

What is causing that relative screw zone up this way......I'll believe it when i see it.

Yep, if you get a foot you go above that pace, you definitely are nearing that depth and will have it for much much longer, 95/96 was full of warm melting days. The key will be an Epic March, but Brett man IDK, totally feeling it, if we get that Strato warming it's a lock.

95/96 for us, I don't know about people outside of CT. If this one comes through ohhhhh we are rolling towards those records. To think February has been our best month...

What is causing that relative screw zone up this way......I'll believe it when i see it.

Its sort of disrupting the flow of the WCB in how it relates to the CCB...its unlikely to work out exactly like that. We might see them slightly disjointed further south but as the low matures and bombs, I'm sure it will look pretty classic in NE.

The main features to look at are the poisiton of the 5h ULL/vortmax track and the mid-level centers....we all know how quirky the silly qpf max/mins can be.

Thought it was interesting that NCEP is chopping back QPF inland near the GOM because convection they believe is robbing some of the available moisture. I suspect we see some clarity tonight, but I'm not sold on anything at this point. In short they believe radar trends are supporting some of the later 18z guidance down there.

"FINAL DAY 1...DAY 2 AND DAY 3 QPF DISCUSSION

VALID JAN 25/0000 UTC THRU JAN 28/0000 UTC

REFERENCE AWIPS GRAPHICS UNDER...PRECIP ACCUM - 24HR

...DAY 1...

...UPDATE...

MAIN CHNGS WERE ALNG THE GULF STS AS CURRENT RDR/SATL TRENDS ARE

SHOWG DIFFS COMPARED TO PRVS MDL GUID. LATER ARRIVING GUID IS

SHOWG SLGTLY FASTER ENE MOVEMENT...WHILE ALSO SHOWG MORE CNVCTN

ALNG THE CST. THIS COULD RESULT IN SOMEWHAT LWR AMTS FARTHER

INLAND DUE TO THE DEEPER MSTR GETTING CUTOFF.

GYX gets tepid in their AFD: "NAM HAS LOW WELL TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE AREA WITH LITTLE IMPACT ON THE FORECAST AREA. GFS BRINGS THE LOW FARTHER NORTH WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW ALONG THE COAST. ECMWF IS A BIT FARTHER NORTH AND EVEN HEAVIER WITH PRECIP. PLAN TO USE A BLEND OF THE NAM/GFS MODELS FOR FORECAST...WHICH IS SIMILAR TO THE CURRENT FORECAST."

They should pull a Costanza and try forecasting the opposite -- they just might get a forecast correct this winter.

Thats there M.O. They play it conservative........

Archived