12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAO is not the all important index to pay attention to during the winter months.  The PNA index is perhaps more important to east coast weather than most would think, although all indices are very important.  However the models are hinting on PNA ridging within the northern jet stream producing a disturbance over Manitoba, Canada in the hour 180 period.  This will eventually translate to a colder regime pattern after the 10th of DEC.  However could also mean a colder solution to the DEC 8-9th storm.

The NAO is not the all important index to pay attention to during the winter months.  The PNA index is perhaps more important to east coast weather than most would think, although all indices are very important.  However the models are hinting on PNA ridging within the northern jet stream producing a disturbance over Manitoba, Canada in the hour 180 period.  This will eventually translate to a colder regime pattern after the 10th of DEC.  However could also mean a colder solution to the DEC 8-9th storm.

I would agree that a postive pna certainly helps!. Better than last winter when the pna was largely negative.

OK, so it is probably the kiss of death to mention Accuwx forecasts here, but their 15 day seems to reiterate what Coastalwx is saying. Just dull and not "torch". I've seen far worse in early December (for that matter ALL of December). It certainly isn't 2011 or that kind of thing. What happens as the month progresses will be interesting and you never know what surprises may occur on the storm front.

It's his coping mechanism. Of course, most vendors had December above normal. The funny thing is that you can sneaky a marginal 850 -1C event in too. It doesn't mean snowless. Too much GOA troughing and too +NAO. You gotta east one of those off. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening for a couple of weeks at least. We'll see what the weeklies do.

I do like how this time of year you can start to snow with 0C or -1C at H85....you don't have to fight the boundary layer as much as you do in Oct/Nov. In this pattern I could see the low levels come in closer to normal than up at 850mb with those sneaky highs going across southern Quebec.

I do like how this time of year you can start to snow with 0C or -1C at H85....you don't have to fight the boundary layer as much as you do in Oct/Nov. In this pattern I could see the low levels come in closer to normal than up at 850mb with those sneaky highs going across southern Quebec.

Low levels will almost certainly outperform the mid-level temps on the cold side if we have a lot of Quebec highs.

I'm hoping this will really benefit the NNE ski areas. After skiing Kmart on Saturday, I was thinking it would realy suck to "waste" the great start. Hopefully any melting is minimal and the resorts can tack on marginal snow events. The sensible wx could be quite a contrast to a SW flow in the low levels with -2C 850 temps or a colder 850 temp in the means, but interrupted by a 5-6 hour deluge cutter.

The Devil is in the details and the details might break favorable for us this time. Esp the ski areas...they didn't last January.

What a torch today. Felt good though. Spring like.

Crappy pattern, but not a torch probably is a pretty good call.

Looks like we may delay the pattern change longer? Hopefully by Christmas, may be close though

starts on the 10th, pattern change complete by the 25th? Time to take a temporary reprieve from model watching. November already warranted much more than I expected.

Euro ensembles are definitely a bit colder for New England than previous runs in the long range. The plains are a furnace, but we avoid the brunt here...maybe close to average..slightly above? 

The lack of available fresh arctic cold may make it tough on the coastline, but the interior may squeak out an event or two...and especially the ski areas up north could escape from this pattern in decent shape. That's the hope anyway.

Just stop. Seriously.

Lol...he's gone into headcase mode because we didn't lock in wire to wire cold/snow from mid-November onward...so when people pointed out how that wasn't going to happen, it got interpreted as a Dec 2006-esque blowtorch.  

If people understand that this is not a "all torch" vs "all cold" type discussion, then it will be easy to understand.

Pattern is still pretty bland...but we might get lucky in it.

Lol...he's gone into headcase mode because we didn't lock in wire to wire cold/snow from mid-November onward...so when people pointed out how that wasn't going to happen, it got interpreted as a Dec 2006-esque blowtorch.  

If people understand that this is not a "all torch" vs "all cold" type discussion, then it will be easy to understand.

Pattern is still pretty bland...but we might get lucky in it.

I wish we could get another gut punch into the stratosphere. 50mb lines up pretty good with the vortex over the Davis Straits. That's going to take some work. If we could get more of an Aleutian low without the low heights in AK, it would be a more favorable pattern to do so.

What? I've been the one actually posting reality today . A normal pattern offers wintry chances. Maybe they pan out maybe not. My posts have been dead nuts on today, sorry if the truth stings

A normal pattern in early to mid December is not easy for wintry chances...you may get something, but you typically want a below average temperature regime prior to the solstice. We aren't at mid-winter climo yet.

This pattern isn't very good. It isn't the worst pattern...so we could get lucky, but it's not the type of pattern I'd expect to see a lot of snow chances out of...esp anything over 3". I'd expect to see a couple threats that look more like tomorrow night's junk.

The only saving grace aboutthis pattern is that it isn't complete curtains...the high pressure positions in Quebec do give us at least a chance to get lucky. But that doesn't mean we should expect winter events either. It's still an uphill battle in this pattern.

A normal pattern in early to mid December is not easy for wintry chances...you may get something, but you typically want a below average temperature regime prior to the solstice. We aren't at mid-winter climo yet.

This pattern isn't very good. It isn't the worst pattern...so we could get lucky, but it's not the type of pattern I'd expect to see a lot of snow chances out of...esp anything over 3". I'd expect to see a couple threats that look more like tomorrow night's junk.

The only saving grace aboutthis pattern is that it isn't complete curtains...the high pressure positions in Quebec do give us at least a chance to get lucky. But that doesn't mean we should expect winter events either. It's still an uphill battle in this pattern.

sounds like climo first half of Dec

Sums up nicely my posts today. No big storms but a couple shots at some small to medium sized ones certainly can be considered. Probably your 1-3/2-4 to mix deals inland .. Nothing definitive but chances there

What? I've been the one actually posting reality today . A normal pattern offers wintry chances. Maybe they pan out maybe not. My posts have been dead nuts on today

It's a condescending tone. As if you are saying "see I am right." It's a crappy pattern. It could be worse, but it's rather hostile.

Archived