Ian

Predict the following:

Storm total snowfall:

BWI

DCA

IAD

ROA

Tiebreaker...

Highest ice report in the LWX region as per public info statement (just a number).

Example..

Storm total snowfall:

BWI - 0.7

DCA - 8.4

IAD - 1.2

ROA - 0.1

Tiebreaker:

LWX hi ice rpt - 0.65"

=====

Winner is whoever has the smallest departure total (departure by airport then indiv departures added together).  Doubt there's a tiebreaker needed but suppose that's likely the main element in this sys so might as well include it.

Entries due by 10:00a Saturday.  Early entries may be edited through that time as well.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Predict the following:

Storm total snowfall:

BWI

DCA

IAD

ROA

Tiebreaker...

Highest ice report in the LWX region as per public info statement (just a number).

Example..

Storm total snowfall:

BWI - 0.7

DCA - 8.4

IAD - 1.2

ROA - 0.1

Tiebreaker:

LWX hi ice rpt - 0.65"

=====

Winner is whoever has the smallest departure total (departure by airport then indiv departures added together). Doubt there's a tiebreaker needed but suppose that's likely the main element in this sys so might as well include it.

Entries due by 10:00a Saturday. Early entries may be edited through that time as well.

You should add a multiplier for early entries. After all, we do try to forecast. It would be simple. Work back from your deadline. Posts within 6 hours of deadline, multiply total departure by 1 (no bonus). 6-12 hrs prior to deadline multiply by 0.95, 12-18 hrs by 0.9, etc (lowering the total dep no as a bonus). It's your contest. Just a thought.

You should add a multiplier for early entries. After all, we do try to forecast. It would be simple. Work back from your deadline. Posts within 6 hours of deadline, multiply total departure by 1 (no bonus). 6-12 hrs prior to deadline multiply by 0.95, 12-18 hrs by 0.9, etc (lowering the total dep no as a bonus). It's your contest. Just a thought.

Not a bad idea but perhaps complicated.  Might be easier to say if you enter by like 9p tomorrow (before 0z runs) you can get a free 0.5-1 off your departure or something. On the flipside, a number now might be considered more of a guess than one tomorrow night or Saturday morning.  So maybe you'd be rewarding luck. 

Not a bad idea but perhaps complicated. Might be easier to say if you enter by like 9p tomorrow (before 0z runs) you can get a free 0.5-1 off your departure or something. On the flipside, a number now might be considered more of a guess than one tomorrow night or Saturday morning. So maybe you'd be rewarding luck.

Mine is a guess, for sure. Always is.

Mine is a guess, for sure. Always is.

Well I guess it all is right? Heh. But you could have a big swing between now and Saturday morning which make the early and unchanged forecasts bad. It just seems complicated...

I'll enter after the GFS but will prob edit.

Well I guess it all is right? Heh. But you could have a big swing between now and Saturday morning which make the early and unchanged forecasts bad. It just seems complicated...

I'll enter after the GFS but will prob edit.

It will always be complicated unless people drastically restrict the time-frames of the contests. But, I understand that a narrow time-frame would decrease the number of entries. So, for a storm like this one, maybe the contest should be open for a 6-hour window surrounding the 0Z runs tomorrow night? 

sorry for the silly question -- but do you want snowfall in inches (so 2 inches total) or the qpf equivalent? Because it looks like people are doing both, unless some really think IAD will only pick up <1" of snow?

snowfall in inches

Archived