Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Thread

mreaves

Romping at the Ashland RWIS.

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_nh_rwis.cgi?id=656006

Looks like the heart of the squall went over the Lake. Congrats Rattlesnake Island.

I am so sorry you're missing this one.. it's off the charts crazy. Going by my fancy streetlight visibility scale, this ties the extreme windex squall from last year. I had started to get whiny because the yellow pixels were about 2 miles to my north over Meredith Neck, but then it ramped right up. Looks like I'll pass down the entire spine of this little band... my dad is pissed because he put sand down on our driveway and now it's covered. :lol:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man someone in southern Chittenden/central Washington counties is getting a nice surprise tonight....looks like areas primarily from I-89 and southward. Hanksville co-op measurement could be solid in the morning. Radar probably isn't capturing this well further downstream in the Montpelier and Barre areas; I bet its snowing harder in areas down there than the radar would indicate.

J.spin's about to get crushed.

J.spin's about to get crushed.

LOL, we've got some big flakes coming down so I went to check on the composite radar and saw that streamer headed down the I-89 corridor. It looks like the 30 db+ stuff will be getting to us in a bit so we'll see what happens. There was already 0.4 inches on the board as of ~8:10 P.M., so perhaps we'll add to that. I'll put together my 5:00 P.M. update in a minute.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Saturday 2/12/2011 5:00 P.M. update: We headed up to Bolton today around 11:00 P.M., and were there through the end of the ski day at around 4:00 P.M. There was light snow on and off, generally big flakes, and even sun at times. Near the end of the day we had a good squall come through that dropped a quick ¼ inch, but that was really the most intense accumulation we saw; there hasn’t been a ton of snow in the past few days, as the mountain’s 72-hour total is just 3 inches. Temperatures today were nice, probably upper 20s to around 30 F at the elevations we were skiing (1,500’ – 2,500’).

Roughly a tenth of an inch had accumulated on the snowboard when we headed up to the mountain this morning, and back at the house at 5:00 P.M. it had increased to 0.3 inches. I cleared that, and as of ~8:10 P.M. there was another 0.4 inches on it. We’ll see if that streamer of moisture coming down the Winooski Valley drops any additional accumulation for us:

12FEB11A.gif

Some details from the 5:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 28.3 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 27.0 inches

We’ll see if that streamer of moisture coming down the Winooski Valley drops any additional accumulation for us.

Yeah, we’ve been getting blitzed now with fairly heavy snow – 1” diameter flakes out there. I can’t seem to save the zoom in images off the composite radar from Weather Underground, but I’ve added the latest wide shot below:

12FEB11B.gif

I did a check on the snowboard at 9:00 P.M. and there was 1.5 inches of snow on it vs. the 0.4 inches at ~8:10 P.M., so the snowfall is running at a bit over an inch per hour. The next opportunity for clearing is 11:00 P.M., and I suspect I’ll be up, so I’ll do an analysis then. I’m not expecting too much liquid since the snow is so fluffy, but we’ll see what the numbers say.

Given how light precipitation amounts are shown to be, this is basically a moot point like you said... we'd need like an hour of steady rain to damage the snow surface (ice or crust) and that won't happen. I guess a sprinkle would be possible with those warm H85 temps, but 1000-500mb thicknesses remain pretty low given the warmth at H85, so I imagine any steady precipitation would be in the form of wet snow.

Enjoy your trip... as I've said, the conditions right now are the best they've been in years (since spring of 2007, IMO) and the snowpack has reached that critical point when everything becomes skiable and well-covered from top to bottom...even the rockiest runs.

The 0z NAM is further north still, but I checked the soundings, and it looks like Mansfield will stay just at or below freezing between 36hr and 39hr (the warmest period) and Sugarbush would peak just above freezing. However, it looks really dry during the warm punch as wet bulb temps and dew points stay well below freezing, so I'm pretty confident that just about all precip would be frozen in the mountains.

OT, but do you know if Stowe has much better snow than Sugarbush right now? Seems like both are doing well. Stowe has gotten more snow, but Sugarbush would be considerably less expensive, especially for family-friendly lodging.

bring the fattest skis you got, especially of it heats up a bit, anything not skier compacted is bottomless, if it gets "manky" you'll appreciate only skimming the top 12"

by the way, nice pics PF. we cross a huge ravine accessing the steep terrain, usually its a gauntlet, right now though crossing snowbridges with views of water 10-12' below. doesn't the nickle and dime Dec seem like a lifetime ago? good New England winter, for not having a monster Nor'easter hit us, yetsmile.gif

Will bring my Rossi B2s, which are the fattest skis I own (78mm waist), but will likely demo something wider (Line Prophet 90, perhaps). I'm trying to restrain myself from going way OT and going into great detail of my new ski search.

Man someone in southern Chittenden/central Washington counties is getting a nice surprise tonight....looks like areas primarily from I-89 and southward. Hanksville co-op measurement could be solid in the morning. Radar probably isn't capturing this well further downstream in the Montpelier and Barre areas; I bet its snowing harder in areas down there than the radar would indicate.

Absolutely. I'm two miles NW of downtown Montpelier at 875'. Radar always under depicts for my immediate area. It snows all the time when there is nothing showing on normal radar echoes. When it actually shows up you know it's coming down pretty good here.

Been a nice evening here so far. Three new inches of fluff at my house since late this afternoon, moderate to heavy at times. Winding down now, though, but still coming down lightly.

What is that, powderfreak...composite radar on wunderground? How does that function differently from let's say, AccuWeather or Intellicast radar? It sure is more sensitive.

Event totals: 2.3” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Saturday 2/12/2011 11:00 P.M. update: The snowfall rate has been up and down this evening as the band of moisture moseys about the area, but there were some nice blasts of heavy snowfall in there. I have a few of the intermediate snowfall measurements from the board this evening listed below:

8:10 PM: 0.4”

9:00 PM: 1.5”

9:45 PM: 1.9”

10:00 PM: 2.0”

I’d say Bolton Valley has definitely been getting in on some if this snow based on the way the snowfall is smashing into the spine even north of the tri-county intersection for Chittenden, Washington, and Lamoille Counties, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Stowe got some out of it as well. The band of snowfall is still out there, although not quite as robust as it was a couple of hours ago:

12FEB11C.gif

Some details from the 11:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 2.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 21.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 28.0 inches

The models giveth and the models taketh away...

What was a 0.3" clipper on yest runs is now under 0.1", and the post-thaw event (was over 0.5" qpf) is now a mid-thaw drizzle-slush imitation of mid-November. Oh well, a two-week pause in an active winter should be no surprise. GYX has the foothills at 1-3" overnight, but the trend is toward low end, if that. Dusting, anyone?

Yesterday's flurries were of the 100-flake variety in my area. Congrats to those who got something worth watching.

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Sunday 2/13/2011 7:00 A.M. update: We finished off with a final 0.2 inches of snow from that streamer of moisture that was around last night. In Bolton’s snow report from this morning they are indicating 4 inches of snow from the event.

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 5.4 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 27.5 inches

The 0z NAM is further north still, but I checked the soundings, and it looks like Mansfield will stay just at or below freezing between 36hr and 39hr (the warmest period) and Sugarbush would peak just above freezing. However, it looks really dry during the warm punch as wet bulb temps and dew points stay well below freezing, so I'm pretty confident that just about all precip would be frozen in the mountains.

OT, but do you know if Stowe has much better snow than Sugarbush right now? Seems like both are doing well. Stowe has gotten more snow, but Sugarbush would be considerably less expensive, especially for family-friendly lodging.

Will bring my Rossi B2s, which are the fattest skis I own (78mm waist), but will likely demo something wider (Line Prophet 90, perhaps). I'm trying to restrain myself from going way OT and going into great detail of my new ski search.

If you are talking about NEXT weekend after it gets a little warm- demo something with a rockered tip/early rise. Keep your tips out of the mank. Line prophet 90's ok but go fatter. go line L/P 100 at least.

Anybody take a look at the 12hr accum. precip on BTVs wrf for the clipper mon-tues. Looks robust. Greens get into the .5 inches of liquid. I believe it.

As for the warm up...I'm thinking up north of 89 the higher terrain never makes it out of the mid 30's on thurs/fri which really means no snow pack effects

I've been skiing a pair of Black Diamond Megawatts a lot this season. Total pontoons but awesome. Try MRG, cheaper, better and they have a great rental/demo shop, easy and quick to get in and out of if you want to try a few different pairs.

Nothing much happening wx-wise imby for a while. Boring until after the torch I guess. Good time to reconnect wth family and my workshop. So many planned winter projects that were derailed by the sick disease of model-watching.

Go to it Eric! That way when we are in deep mud in April and there are gargantuan piles left from the the March blitz, you can look back fondly and smile with the memories of a great winter and some other things you got done! As for me I will go with the flow...dont' resist mama nature....dig out the backside of my wood pile and take a quick trip to philly to get a day or two of what should be a nice warm late week there. Always fun to see the city wake up in a late winter thaw...kind of an intoxicating time in a city built for walking and outdoor cafes.

BWIOCoTFTW

SN/+SN and windy.

Cars have a nice fresh coating on them, road is snow covered, and traffic is moving very slowly on the Mountain Road right now.

Good ol' fashion snow squalls.

J.Spin down to Mreaves' area looks to be taking the brunt of this squall line though.

The snow fell heavily for a while. I had to go out around 7:30 last night and it was coming down very heavily, but I figured it would die down. It then took me almost half an hour to get to the mall that is usually about 10 -15 minutes away . Visibility was awful, right uo to the time I got to the airport (MPV). At that point I came out of the snow globe and it was only snowing lightly. When I got home it looked like about 2.5 - 3 inches. Temp was about 17F and I thought no way are we getting to zero like the Channel 3 news at 11:00 said. Sure enough though when I got up at 7:00 it was 1F. We also had another .5 of snow to give us a total of at least 3 inches, maybe a smidge more. Today I came up the the Johnson State library and it looks like they had much less around here. Haven't checked up on anything for later in the week yet but am hoping the "torch" doesn't get too bad around here.

Damn that low for tomorrow looks like its going way north. Snow to Rain in the forecast. Oh well. Nice little break in the action. Ice fishing derby next weekend up on Schoodic lake so plenty to keep me busy. Hopefully after that, things start getting snowier.

I honestly think its all about the same right now... from Killington to Jay Peak I'm confident things are pretty darn good. We'll see what happens after Thur/Fri, but snowpack is healthy everywhere right now in the Greens and East in general.

The snow fell heavily for a while. I had to go out around 7:30 last night and it was coming down very heavily, but I figured it would die down. It then took me almost half an hour to get to the mall that is usually about 10 -15 minutes away . Visibility was awful, right uo to the time I got to the airport (MPV). At that point I came out of the snow globe and it was only snowing lightly. When I got home it looked like about 2.5 - 3 inches. Temp was about 17F and I thought no way are we getting to zero like the Channel 3 news at 11:00 said. Sure enough though when I got up at 7:00 it was 1F. We also had another .5 of snow to give us a total of at least 3 inches, maybe a smidge more. Today I came up the the Johnson State library and it looks like they had much less around here. Haven't checked up on anything for later in the week yet but am hoping the "torch" doesn't get too bad around here.

Yeah we didn't get really much of anything yesterday and overnight here in town. The mountain was able to accumulate lightly yesterday/last night, but nothing during the day. You guys in that one band definitely made out the best in this.

Archived