• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

That's pretty sweet....seems like it has worked as Killington has gained some momentum.

Now all you need will be a relative jackpot snow season...Killington has seemed to have a bit of a lull the past few years. But the time is coming for a winter with a storm track where coastal storms favor the deep interior of like ALB-RUT-LEB corridor.

Yeah, the coastal plain has had way more snow than average, especially in seasons like 09-10 and 10-11...we've seen a dearth of coastal huggers that favor the interior from the Poconos to Southern VT (non-upslope areas). Eventually climo is going to catch up and Albany is going to start getting more snow than Dobbs Ferry again. When I was in college, I think Killington had nice winters in 07-08 and 08-09. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see this thread bumped and relevant this late in May.

What are people seeing re potential snow at high elev VT & NH this weekend, like Saturday night? Eyeing a possible Killington or Mt Washington trip Monday when the sun comes back out. 

Just got back from Killington. It's a full on snowstorm with maybe 40-50 mile an hour winds at the top of the lift. The wind is blowing up the trail so its in your face and holds you up as you walk down the headwall. The top 2/3rd of the trail is nice bumps which are starting to feel vaugely powdery. Above the picture's view is a much larger section of trail with no snow than what you see here. It fun to ski but I fell walking down the slushy steep muddy section and landed on my skis which was painful. It was difficult to self arrest. It's not for the faint of heart up there right now. It was day 83 for me so a personal best season total. I'll go back for another run or two tomorrow.

It was day 83 for me so a personal best season total.

Congrats! 

I'll admit that's pretty hardcore to go out today with the lack of snow and generally unkind weather conditions.  Likewise I would've gone up for a couple runs if I were there, but it really looked like something worth doing just because you can, rather than it actually being enjoyable. 

Did anyone see that pic that's floating around of the guy on top of Whiteface where they're reporting 18" fresh today?  He's standing in knee deep that almost looks sorta fluffy.  What about the webcam at Plattekill where the snowline is about 200 feet above the base and they had a Pro GRT Downhill race scheduled today.  I bet that was fun, HA!

I had this awesome dream today.  It was the end of May and I was skiing powder...

kmart6.png

It was knee deep in places near the peak

kmart2.png

Trees all snow covered... that distinct wall of silence.

kmart3.png

Just carving it up.

kmart7.png

Really miss winter.  Fortunately it won't be long now...

kmart9.png

Win. 

Swimsuit season in Vermont has begun!

God I'm so jealous of you guys.  GP, KC and yourself look to be enjoying that quite immensely.  We'll have to get together for a hike this summer.

Way to represent Stowe/Mansfield ;)

Does GP invert any of those shots?  Some of it looks backwards if that makes any sense.

God I'm so jealous of you guys.  GP, KC and yourself look to be enjoying that quite immensely.  We'll have to get together for a hike this summer.

Way to represent Stowe/Mansfield ;)

Does GP invert any of those shots?  Some of it looks backwards if that makes any sense.

I think what I enjoyed most is that I re-encountered winter. Like, there have been plenty of spring season or early season storms where it snows overnight and by the time you get to the snow, it's spring or fall again. Winter just passed by.  Not with this. Up top it was in the 20s, trees were caked with snow, it was blowing hard (yesterday gusting 50s) and it was wet and cold. You really had NO clue it was LATE spring. It felt and looked like full on winter. 

I just smiled the whole time. Snow level was about 2200 feet give or take. 

I suppose I'm now done for the season. 103 days, over 250k of "up" and schussing from Halloween to Memorial Day....that is unless I go ski that paste on Whiteface.  Shame it's not going to really corn up....

Amazing last day at Killington! Many folks hiked off the top of Superstar to get to the summit trails. Cool celebration at the top for last chair. This last day will go down in the history of Killington as one to remember. It's hard to believe its over after this last weekend of full on winter skiing. 16 weeks until snowmaking starts. Mountain ops has the go ahead to start to blow snow in September for the first time in years. Just enough time to get organized and heal up.

Awesome shots radarman...I mustve missed those yesterday! Great that you got out in the historic snow.

Props to Killington for another year of longest season in the east. Sounds like the new boss has turned the blue light special back on at K-mart.

Thanks man. Like adk said it was surreal to be out in legit winter again.

Have to say my initial impressions of the new ownership group are certainly positive.

Sick :thumbsup: Or is it just you?

Not sure how Tucks is doing but maybe you have the distinction of being the last skier in the east.

Someone somewhere on MWN will make more turns...but I may be the last one on Mansfield ;)

It was a bet and someone didn't think I'd actually go ski the spine, haha. I went and made four laps of about 15 turns each haha.

I went for a run up Killington this evening.  As I came down there was a guy skiing this tiny 20 yard patch of snow at the bottom of Superstar and two snowboarders were starting to hike up- presumably to the larger patch a bit higher up.

My son just said "ewww" at that manky snow

I think it looks great

It's pretty nasty looking this time of year. That was the only patch that was long enough to ski.

There are still a handful of piles of snow around the mountain...mostly from plowing out the Toll Road in April. That 5-8 feet of snow base depth was dozed into large piles in certain areas (think like 30ft high back in April) that are still melting.

The latest I've seen snow on the mountain is July 4th...as these rogue piles can take forever to melt.

Vid from yesterday...

http://backtotheearthgroup.com/scottb/Stowe%202013/June_5/june5_vid.MOV

Some friends didnt think I would do it and it was sort of to satisfy a bet...but still pretty fun haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that it’s June and the ski season is winding down around here, we’ve had time to compile our 2012-2013 Bolton Valley Photo Gallery, so I figured I’d pass along the link and a few shots here in the ski thread.  Although it wasn’t an outrageous season in terms of Bolton Valley’s famous upslope powder on the western slopes as we were discussing in the NNE thread, there was still a lot of great snow to be had:

http://jandeproductions.com/2013/06/15/2012-2013-bolton-valley-photo-gallery/

02APR13A.jpg

21MAR13A.jpg

23MAR13I.jpg

Archived