• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Feb 24-25 Secondary Cyclogenesis and Upslope Obs

dendrite

Your reporting too bro, just stellar. Love the WE stuff. Even with trace snow on the ground here it is exciting and certainly sounds and feels like winter tonight. Can you do me a favor? Drift pics please!

It’s funny, I rarely get any drift pics down here at the house since we’re so sheltered (fortunately that makes it a fantastic spot for snow analyses) and as a powder skier I’m always seeking out the most undisturbed snow, but drift pics are fun too, and I was able to get some shots up at the mountain today. Here’s one below that I took because I honestly thought it was just a drift until I walked around and saw the left side of the car. The especially cool thing about that car is that it might not even have been that hard to get it out. I was checking out the snow as I was walking around the village, and even in the drifts you could literally walk through snow up to your waist and you could be walking right on the ground as the snow dissolved around you. Interesting stuff can happen with the snow when it’s 95-98% air.

25FEB12G.jpg

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah some great reports today.

My question is, how big of an event is this? I feel like they get 20" of fluff all the time up there.

I think it depends on whether we’re talking mountain or valley. I just checked my data, and for the past ~5 ½ seasons in which I’ve been collecting snowfall data, I’ve recorded 7 events/storms of 20 inches or more, so for here in the valley it seems to be running at a bit more than 1 per season. So it’s typically a highlight of the season, but I guess we can expect at least one and sometimes two 20+ inch events per season. I don’t have the data for each storm in the mountains, but since the Northern Greens basically get about twice the snowfall that we seem to get here in the valley, and often twice the snow per event, one could use events of 10 inches or greater in the valley as an estimate of events that are 20 inches or greater in the mountains. So for 10+ inch events down here, I’ve recorded 29 during that same ~5 ½ seasons, so the average is a bit over 5 of these types of events per season. I’m sure this is an imperfect method for estimating, but I bet it’s in the ballpark, so one would expect several 20+ inch events for the mountains each season. Powderfreak may have some actual numbers for Stowe, but I’m not sure if they track any of their data “per storm” the way I do with mine. So this event is reasonably big, a 20” valley event, so we’ll probably see numbers pushing 40” for the mountains. On average we should only expect one or two of these a season. I think this one may also have meant a bit more because of the way the season has been so lean on snowfall.

lol PF...wow. What's your event total and current depth at your place at 800ft currently?

I just went outside to start my car and had the same amount of snow on the ground in a previously cleared area (prior to this storm) as I did at around 8pm... 18".

The wind has whipped it around and that last like 6-8" were total fluff so its definitely settling some. But wow does it look good out there. Some decent drifts and stuff like that off the buildings.

Not a bad storm all in all, haha. This one might have at least attempted to salvage this winter, especially on the mountain where the total will be pretty crazy.

Not a bad storm here in Lamoille County.

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  1 NW SOUTH CAMBRIDGE  26.0  1032 PM  2/25  TRAINED SPOTTER
  2 SSE BELVIDERE JUNC  24.0   732 PM  2/25  TRAINED SPOTTER
  BELVIDERE CENTER	  24.0   459 PM  2/25  TRAINED SPOTTER
  CAMBRIDGE			 20.0   852 PM  2/25  PUBLIC
  2 S EDEN			  18.3   443 PM  2/25  CO-OP OBSERVER
  STOWE				 18.0  1025 PM  2/25  PUBLIC
  1 SSE SMUGGLERS NOTC  18.0   327 PM  2/25  STOWE RESORT 1500 FEET
  3 NW STOWE		    17.0   722 PM  2/25  TRAINED SPOTTER
  2 WNW SOUTH CAMBRIDG  16.0   720 PM  2/25  PUBLIC
  2 SE SOUTH CAMBRIDGE  16.0   322 PM  2/25  SMUGGLERS NOTCH 1200 FT
  1 ESE PLEASANT VALLE  16.0   643 PM  2/25  TRAINED SPOTTER
  1 S MOSCOW		    15.3  1129 PM  2/25  TRAINED SPOTTER
  JEFFERSONVILLE	    14.0   719 PM  2/25  PUBLIC
  MOUNT MANSFIELD	   14.0   400 PM  2/25  CO-OP OBSERVER
  5 N JEFFERSONVILLE    14.0  1130 AM  2/25  CO-OP OBSERVER
  MORRISVILLE		   13.0   945 PM  2/25  PUBLIC
  WATERVILLE		    12.0   349 PM  2/25  TRAINED SPOTTER
  1 SE JEFFERSONVILLE    9.3  1145 AM  2/25  PUBLIC
  JOHNSON			    8.0   630 AM  2/25  PUBLIC

It was dumping on the mtn yesterday when it was not dumping in town. That plus the fact that I seem to be in a spot in Stowe that doesnt always get the best totals, and I already have 15 inches tells me that 34 is certainly possible on the mountain. I think his 4pm ob in the notch is 18 and if you ask me it picked up after that in town snowing at an inch per hour. At his higher el spot 34 is not unlikely, but it makes me wonder where that number came from.

I am not reporting 34" for this storm (at least as of last night, haven't gotten to the mountain yet)... I think J.Spin's getting the 34" for here and Smuggs when adding in the first storm on Wednesday night, too. I had 7.5" at 3,000ft from that one, and then as of 4pm today, 26" or so at 3,000ft. That comes out to 33.5" since Wednesday evening... but also the problem is sometimes SkiVermont and the way resorts report snowfall to them. Their computer program for some reason compounds the snowfall at times when its not supposed to.

As of 4pm yesterday... 26" at 3,000ft from this one storm. 33.5" in the past 4 days.

Drive got tough north of white river, and as we got near waterbury traffic was just crawling, as if they'd made it that far and didn't want to mess it up at the end, having passed several cars off the road on the way.

Dumped until about 9PM. Pure fluff.

I can list the best ski days like Will remembers snowstorms... And this is gonna be one of them I think. The anticipation builds... Time for bagels & coffee, get well fortified, we'll need it.

I am not reporting 34" for this storm (at least as of last night, haven't gotten to the mountain yet)... I think J.Spin's getting the 34" for here and Smuggs when adding in the first storm on Wednesday night, too. I had 7.5" at 3,000ft from that one, and then as of 4pm today, 26" or so at 3,000ft. That comes out to 33.5" since Wednesday evening... but also the problem is sometimes SkiVermont and the way resorts report snowfall to them. Their computer program for some reason compounds the snowfall at times when its not supposed to.

As of 4pm yesterday... 26" at 3,000ft from this one storm. 33.5" in the past 4 days.

You've got it correct PF, that latest list I put up was for the three-storm combo we've just had through yesterday, when I do the next list I'll try to list numbers for just this storm as well as the three together.

Event totals: 22.7” Snow/1.17” L.E.

This storm finished up a bit after midnight, right in line with what the ECMWF suggesting for many of its runs, so it did a great job in that area. The final stack off the snowboard last night was only 2.5” (settled to ~2” by this morning), so the density was even a little bit lower than my previous stack and dropped to 1.6% H2O (snow to water ratio of 62.5 to 1) obtained from the average of three combined cores. It’s sunny, crisp, and clear out there now, and the slopes are calling.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 2.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 62.5

Snow Density: 1.6% H2O

Temperature: 11.5 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

Drive got tough north of white river, and as we got near waterbury traffic was just crawling, as if they'd made it that far and didn't want to mess it up at the end, having passed several cars off the road on the way.

Dumped until about 9PM. Pure fluff.

I can list the best ski days like Will remembers snowstorms... And this is gonna be one of them I think. The anticipation builds... Time for bagels & coffee, get well fortified, we'll need it.

nice work RM!

happy skiing..

Wow, just got back from the best day skiing of my life. I wasn't sure if it could top yesterday's, but another 10 inches overnight put this into all time territory at the ski resort in terms of quantity and quality. An honest 36" fell in 36 hours at the 3,000ft snow board. Some spots were about four feet deep closer to the Notch.

24.5" storm total at 1,500ft and 18" at 800ft.

A buddy's picture of what outside looks like now.

427738_3042622196566_1593431120_2524722_1003304838_n.jpg

Sick day, true bluebird, very light snow and winter conditions. Had to stick to the fall line or risk getting stuck it was so deep and saw a number of folks, especially boarders, walrusing around in the forest trying to get out. The only thing IMO that kept it from a pantheon day is that the base in the woods wasn't quite where it sometimes is, and there were a lot of hazards obliterated by the snow that couldn't be seen, but could be felt. A lot of people I talked to on the lifts had taken big spills on hidden stumps and tree branches, as did I. Not quite the go anywhere with no fear day, but more than enough to give me fond memories of 2012 skiing for the rest of my life.

Sick day, true bluebird, very light snow and winter conditions. Had to stick to the fall line or risk getting stuck it was so deep and saw a number of folks, especially boarders, walrusing around in the forest trying to get out. The only thing IMO that kept it from a pantheon day is that the base in the woods wasn't quite where it sometimes is, and there were a lot of hazards obliterated by the snow that couldn't be seen, but could be felt. A lot of people I talked to on the lifts had taken big spills on hidden stumps and tree branches, as did I. Not quite the go anywhere with no fear day, but more than enough to give me fond memories of 2012 skiing for the rest of my life.

Exactly why my tree days are over, great fun though and lots of similar memories to what you describe.

PF, do you know what type of snowfall this was for a single event in Stowe? It must be up there, but I bet they have some 40-50" deals easily. I remember you guys always getting nailed last year, but in this winter...2-3' of snow is pretty epic, especially when it is 40:1 ratios.

Did you get a report from the fam in Center Harbor?

PF, do you know what type of snowfall this was for a single event in Stowe? It must be up there, but I bet they have some 40-50" deals easily. I remember you guys always getting nailed last year, but in this winter...2-3' of snow is pretty epic, especially when it is 40:1 ratios.

Won't speak for PF but March 01 and Valentines day 07 come to mind quickly as similar amounts or more, but this is a biggie by any standards.

Archived