• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The January 25/26 Storm (Part 2)

Wow

Hey, at least we don't have to be tied to our computers all weekend since the fail indicator is now solidly lit.

At least Falls Lake will rise enough with all the rain Raleigh is about to get so I can fish some the back ends of creeks this year :arrowhead:. (And this might eventually apply to Lake Norman too, haha)

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't bet good money. Now the pattern is a LOT different than ALL winter, we could see the north and west trends commence. I'd put good money that there will be a BIG TIME storm, but to pin it down this far out is anyone's guess.

If I were in the southern apps, I'd feel about as good as you could feel at this point.

Seems like the Canadian has a northwest bias though. Is that correct? FWIW, that looks like liquid for NE TN - and a lot of it.

At least Falls Lake will rise enough with all the rain Raleigh is about to get so I can fish some the back ends of creeks this year :arrowhead:. (And this might eventually apply to Lake Norman too, haha)

Yeppers. We badly need the rain. I'm thinking we need to get some severe weather people in here.

The models might go west this model suite... but I am pretty sure the models won't be able to go any further west than what the 12z UKMET and 12z GGEM are depicting. The 500mb trough located over Canada simply won't allow it. It will force our shortwave to come far enough east to prevent this from being a lakes cutter. Now if our shortwave cuts early, a lot of folks will start off as rain... but as the 500mb low passes overhead, dynamical cooling will take over and many locations, even east of the Appalachians will go over to heavy wet snow for a time. It certainly isn't optimal, but Just a small shift east would put GA and WNC back in the game in a huge way.

xbit12.png

Seems like the Canadian has a northwest bias though. Is that correct? FWIW, that looks like liquid for NE TN - and a lot of it.

I haven't really paid a lot of attention to its bias, but it's not usually very accurate in this timeframe. I think an inland runner is likely but not as far as the GGEM is showing........and now that every model is showing a big storm, it will be a matter of looking at trends for the next 24-48 hours before a sensible forecast is made. 50-100 mile shifts and strength of the storm will make a HUGE difference in weather across this boards area.

The models might go west this model suite... but I am pretty sure the models won't be able to go any further west than what the 12z UKMET and 12z GGEM are depicting. The 500mb trough located over Canada simply won't allow it. It will force our shortwave to come far enough east to prevent this from being a lakes cutter. Now if our shortwave cuts early, a lot of folks will start off as rain... but as the 500mb low passes overhead, dynamical cooling will take over and many locations, even east of the Appalachians will go over to heavy wet snow for a time. It certainly isn't optimal, but Just a small shift east would put GA and WNC back in the game in a huge way.

xbit12.png

Great post, i was just about to hint at the same thing. The PNA location and atlantic blocking do not favor an apps runner at all. Of course they don't support a solution off of the coast really either. I honestly think the euro from last night is a pretty decent middle of the road solution that will end up verifying. IMO the models are just now latching on to the phase, but the details haven't been worked out yet. I agree with others however, that this is probably a lost cause if you're east of GSO.

Great post, i was just about to hint at the same thing. The PNA location and atlantic blocking do not favor an apps runner at all. Of course they don't support a solution off of the coast really either. I honestly think the euro from last night is a pretty decent middle of the road solution that will end up verifying. IMO the models are just now latching on to the phase, but the details haven't been worked out yet. I agree with others however, that this is probably a lost cause if you're east of GSO.

Try living on the GSO Line. If im not the transition line, it will only require a 30 mile drive east or west to see it. Usually how it works IMBY. Does anyone have the Ukie surface map Day 4 & 5 12z. Last night it hugged the coast and Im hearing inland, which implies probably coastal plain or eatsern piedmont. Just curious and if you can name a town on day 4 and day 5 that will be enough info. The Euro 0z is a perfect prog /middle ground based on all the new 12z runs. It was a slight inside the coast runner GA/SC till about NC, then hugged the coast. by about 50 miles. Im betting it shows the same or maybe a notch futher west. We will see in a few minutes.

By the way loving the high of 38 that was forecasted for here today. Sitting in the 20's with some WC. Robert stated the other day he thought wed have a hard time getting to 32 Saturday and I beleive hell be right.

Well....so far the models have cleared up nothing! Off to BAMA to see the folks this afternoon. Hopefully, things will clear up a bit before, say, Monday?! :gun_bandana:

I would respectfully disagree with your statement.

The models have cleared up a LOT, just not in regards to a track or strength of a storm system. What have they cleared up you might ask?

1. There will be a low pressure around the gulf coast, that will be strengthening as it moves, perhaps rapidly.

2. The storm system will have snow, probably heavy to the north and west of the track.

3. The GFS is really really bad

4. Good consensus for a negatively tilted phasing trough in the southeast.

The only things we don't know are WHO will get the heavy snow at this point and who ends up with rain. JMO

I would respectfully disagree with your statement.

The models have cleared up a LOT, just not in regards to a track or strength of a storm system. What have they cleared up you might ask?

1. There will be a low pressure around the gulf coast, that will be strengthening as it moves, perhaps rapidly.

2. The storm system will have snow, probably heavy to the north and west of the track.

3. The GFS is really really bad

4. Good consensus for a negatively tilted phasing trough in the southeast.

The only things we don't know are WHO will get the heavy snow at this point and who ends up with rain. JMO

Well, that's the bottom line of what I was talking about! You are right, of course. I was being somewhat facetious.

Well, just looked at things again and I think the trends are all very good- at least for north GA. The GFS has finally got a clue, but since it the last to the party it still cannot be trusted with details, We now finally have very good consensus of a strengthening negative tilt upper low passing right overhead or just tto my south- which is perfect for a dynamic cooling storm. Someone in north GA should get a changeover to heavy wet snow- best chance still in the north Metro into the mountains.

Well, just looked at things again and I think the trends are all very good- at least for north GA. The GFS has finally got a clue, but since it the last to the party it still cannot be trusted with details, We now finally have very good consensus of a strengthening negative tilt upper low passing right overhead or just tto my south- which is perfect for a dynamic cooling storm. Someone in north GA should get a changeover to heavy wet snow- best chance still in the north Metro into the mountains.

Much appreciated Cheez! I wonder if Daltonwx is sneaking a peek at this from Disney? I sure miss him working in tandem with you for us GA guys. Cedric has been stepping it up for us too and that is appreciated.

Thus you can understand why I'm pulling for that low to go over Thomasville, or Tallahassee would be better. But, yeah, NeGa. is once again in the cat bird seat as of now. T

Good to see you fairly optimistic. At risk of getting a slap on the wrist, do you see the possibility of a March '09 type of deal where there is a relatively small swath of good accums with little/nothing to the north and south? Or would there be enough cold air present to allow for a truly widespread storm? As I understand, dynamical cooling is entirely dependent on rates, so those who are under weaker returns would have a hard time remaining snow or at least getting sub freezing sfc temps. After that disaster those of us north/northwest of Atlanta cringe when we hear that precip type/accum is dependent on dynamical cooling.

Archived