joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The January 25/26 Storm (Part 2)

Wow

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to be off topic but check out how many folks are reading this topic right now...if the storm is still on track Monday could be record breaking for our region.

269 User(s) are reading this topic

145 members, 116 guests, 8 anonymous user

This would explain why:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/335-location-demographics/

Looking at critical thicknesses (1000-850mb), the 1300m line stays right along the Apps throughout the event. The 850 0C line is a little closer to us, but a quick look at the sounding reveals temps as high as 2.5C at 925mb and that quickly soars into the 5C category as the storm progresses. Honestly, in my opinion there is absolutely no way RDU will see any frozen precipitation unless this whole thing speeds up dramatically...and that is not likely to happen at this stage of the game.

Thank you. I don't see how we are going to get any appreciable snow from this. The system being delayed has killed this for a lot of folks.

A look at GFS partial thicknesses show 1000-850mb thicknesses are betwee 1300-1310 m for the entire event in western NC/NWSC so even there the GFS has a pretty warm boundary layer. Now if high UVV's are realized it would probably overcme that to an extent since the warmth is between 850 and the surface.

From a forecasting standpoint it is nice to see the GFS join the other models. We are seeing a consensus form and should narrow down on the details. Still like the mountains for a substantial snow and the way it looks now most rain east of I-77 in NC. It could all change but that is how it looks now. Bring on the 12z Euro.

A look at GFS partial thicknesses show 1000-850mb thicknesses are betwee 1300-1310 m for the entire event in western NC/NWSC so even there the GFS has a pretty warm boundary layer. Now if high UVV's are realized it would probably overcme that to an extent since the warmth is between 850 and the surface.

From a forecasting standpoint it is nice to see the GFS join the other models. We are seeing a consensus form and should narrow down on the details. Still like the mountains for a substantial snow and the way it looks now most rain east of I-77 in NC. It could all change but that is how it looks now. Bring on the 12z Euro.

Bring on the next storm ;). But yes it is looking like an I-77 special for sure in my eyes as well. Anyone east of there my suggestion is to rent a movie.

Enjoy your analysis very much. One question. What do you think about surface temps for somewhere like Huntsville, Al...models keep trying to show it as rain and above freezing, with over an inch of QPF. Should we be worried about that?

once you get under heavy precip, the snow will bring 30 or 32 degrees to the surface. You have a high to your west bringing the cold.

I have to disagree with you about the surface high; it is completely offshore by hour 72. There is a weak hybrid-cad signature for a while, but I think it's pretty obvious that we quickly lose all caa as we progress beyond 72 hours.

Looks to me like the model partially breaks the high, as they sometimes do in storms, I think its trying to maintain some high pressure inland b/c of the 5H confluence there in eastern Canada. I don't think you can say it bodily slides out to sea, but part of it does, yet it doesn't really matter so much I don't think since we're dealing with In-situ CAD and dynamics aloft . This storm looks very similar to Mar 2009 , I'd bet its heading up the coast and more inland than the GFS is showing, as thats more climo.

post-38-0-19594500-1295715026.gif

post-38-0-82801100-1295715047.gif

post-38-0-66836100-1295715070.gif

GFS long range looks somewhat colder than normal throughout, thanks to a -PNA pattern. There is no hint of a west-based -NAO or Greenland block returning. There is a series of moderate to strong HPs diving into the Rockies and sliding SE through the Plains and east off the mid-Atlantic. Without perfect timing, this pattern in most cases will yield cold with warm-ups before precipitation events OR cold and dry. It will be difficult to get a SE winter storm out of this kind of pattern without perfect timing, which is not impossible. At least there's no torch.

At hour 72 there is southeasterly flow throughout PA, NY and easterly flow further northeast. There isn't a hint of northerly flow along the entire eastern seaboard, so I don't honestly see any sort of high pressure being inland. The only thing I see, as you said, is some hybrid-cad going on in NC where it is precipitating, but that rapidly erodes as strong WAA washes it out.

Yes further north the winds are sely, but in the western sections of the Carolinas our surface winds are northeasterly, so its not classical damming, but residual. One thing about banking on "washing out" low level cold here with a surface low to our south, I've seen that fail numerous times. Depends on how low our wetbulbs are to start.

post-38-0-31777800-1295715923.gif

post-38-0-26607400-1295715932.gif

So basically we have the Ukie and Canadian going back inland. The nam is inland and the gfs, which just joined the party, hugs the coast. An inland track still looks like the way to go.

Well if the 12z GFS can't give us snow with an almost perfect SLP track like it just showed than there is truly no hope for anyone east of 85. Wwith the other models falling inline to Apps runners which would give us a warm rain, I guess that's better than a cold rain.

I'll put good money what actually happens is south and east of what the Canadian is showing. All winter, it has been sending systems far too north. Now, the set-up may be different this time...

I wouldn't bet good money. Now the pattern is a LOT different than ALL winter, we could see the north and west trends commence. I'd put good money that there will be a BIG TIME storm, but to pin it down this far out is anyone's guess.

If I were in the southern apps, I'd feel about as good as you could feel at this point.

Archived