• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The January 25/26 Storm (Part 2)

Wow

Morristown is normally conservative. I thought this was quite interesting. That said, I still don't like last night's model trends. However, I feel a little more confident w/ the local office gets on board. They have been careful(and correct) in waiting this year to jump on board every event. Probably been their best winter in a long time. Their forecast for the last storm was almost perfect. KTRI's comments:

.LONG TERM...(SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY)...UPPER FLOW SUNDAY AND SUNDAY

NIGHT IS MORE ZONAL WITH HIGH PRESSURE OVER EASTERN STATES

INCLUDING THE SOUTHEAST. WEAK LOW PRESSURE AREA OVER THE SOUTHERN

PLAINS MOVING INTO THE LOWER MS VALLEY WILL INCREASE MOISTURE

GRADUALLY OVER THE FORECAST AREA. SKIES WILL BE MOSTLY CLOUDY

SUNDAY. SUNDAY NIGHT THIS FIRST SYSTEM WEAKENS BUT WILL CONTINUE

SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW FOR THE TN VALLEY AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS.

MONDAY TROUGH DEVELOPS OVER THE EASTERN STATES WITH SHORTWAVE

ENERGY DROPPING SOUTH FROM THE MIDWEST INTO THE OHIO AND TN VALLEY

LATE MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN

THE 40S LOWER ELEVATIONS AND 30S HIGHER ELEVATIONS. WINDS

INCREASING FROM THE SOUTH. PRECIPITATION SHOULD BE MIXED WITH NO

SIGNIFICANT SNOW MONDAY. MONDAY PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS INCREASED

WITH LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS BY TUESDAY MORNING MAINLY HIGHER

ELEVATIONS. MODELS GET SYSTEM MORE DEVELOPED TUESDAY AND TUESDAY

NIGHT WITH NAM/ECMWF DEVELOPING LOW ALONG CENTRAL GULF COAST

SHIFTING TO THE ATLANTIC AND DEEPENING RAPIDLY AS IT MOVES

NORTHEAST WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. THIS COULD MEAN SIGNIFICANT

SNOWFALL FOR THE FORECAST AREA BY TUESDAY EVENING CONTINUING INTO

WEDNESDAY. EXPECTING COLDER TEMPERATURES TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

WEDNESDAY NIGHT. LATER SHIFTS WILL NEED TO EXAMINE THIS PERIOD

CLOSELY ESPECIALLY WITH SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. SHORTWAVE ENERGY ROTATING

AROUND NE STORM WILL KEEP CLOUDS AND SNOW SHOWERS OR FLURRIES

POSSIBLE THROUGH THURSDAY WITH DRYING FRIDAY.

&&

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is this...Being that we are still 3-4 days out what are the most likely changes/trends to the current setup? I haven't been following storms for nearly as long as most of you, but for the time that I have it seems pretty infrequent that the models have it right 4 days out. What are you seeing in the current trends that might take us to what actually verifies?? Thanks in advance!!

Trends have been kind of funny w/ this storm. There always seems to be a new "trend" everyday. I would say the latest trend that started on the 0z runs was a strong storm but shifted east some. Who knows if that trend will continue today or will it start working it's way back west.

<br />Trends have been kind of funny w/ this storm.  There always seems to be a new "trend" everyday.  I would say the latest trend that started on the 0z runs was a strong storm but shifted east some.  Who knows if that trend will continue today or will it start working it's way back west.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If we are throwing out the GFS, the big questions for a lot of us is if this storm hugs the coast or runs up I-95. RAH discussed this yesterday; explaining that a storm running up the I-95 would put RDU in the transition zone (snow-rain-snow). I-95 areas would see mostly rain. A coast hugger would move the transition zone to I-95 providing RDU westward mostly snow. So sorry people out west I'm one of the people wanting the eastward trend.

I see you lurking Robert. Any changes in your thoughts this morning? Also is it a cold or was it the drywall dust?

jus got up. Yes it was the drywall dust. Wear a mask ! I feel terrible. Anyway this run is too strong too far west so far, not good for the snow lovers, our 850's are soaring east of the mtns. Also the high is slid out, but we're talking NAM here. It dug the energy so far west in TExas that allowed too much development, but we'll see if the rest of the run stays south.

Will be interesting to see if the eastern shift in the 0z models continues in 12z...I don't know enough about what is causing the shift to understand one way or the other.

<br /><br /><br />

If we are throwing out the GFS, the big questions for a lot of us is if this storm hugs the coast or runs up I-95. RAH discussed this yesterday; explaining that a storm running up the I-95 would put RDU in the transition zone (snow-rain-snow). I-95 areas would see mostly rain. A coast hugger would move the transition zone to I-95 providing RDU westward mostly snow. So sorry people out west I'm one of the people wanting the eastward trend.

jus got up. Yes it was the drywall dust. Wear a mask ! I feel terrible. Anyway this run is too strong too far west so far, not good for the snow lovers, our 850's are soaring east of the mtns. Also the high is slid out, but we're talking NAM here. It dug the energy so far west in TExas that allowed too much development, but we'll see if the rest of the run stays south.

Ugh, the low is coming way inland! It's just SW of Atlanta at Hour 84. Making the turn way to soon for those of us farther east. But, MI, AL, and TN would get decent snows out of this.

the good news, if any on the NAM for the Carolinas, is the height field is dropping, the whole time, before the precip gets to us. Its already low to start, so this storm has its own cold air, and the thicknessess aren't warm, so dyanmic cooling is going to play a role, I'd prefer to have lower 850's though. Tn, Al, Ms. are getting hit hard with snow. At 84 hours, its a bowling bowl in Southern Albama at 5H, with the strong 850 low in eastern Central Alabama, heavy duty snow in Alabama NW GA and western NC, points west. Strong dynamic storm and the 5H looks similar to March 2009

the sfc low is 1004 in Columbus GA with heavy snow in much of central/N. Alabama eventually getting to ATL , srn TN and n. Ms. do well too. Use caution on the NAM at this time range, but we'll see if other models trend inland and west.

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!! THE NAM is a BOMB FOR NW GA ALABAMA SRN TENN :thumbsup::weight_lift::snowman: :snowman: :drunk:

FWIW, the NAM(not so accurate @ 84 I know...) is a big snowstorm for E TN - all of it if it eventually(edit). I'm sure according to this run. I'm w/ Foothills. I'll need to see some other models before I even remotely buy into that solution. I think the key is that it's getting that high out of the way in Maine. That opens the door for an inland runner. As stubborn as the cold has been this year, I'd be surprised to see that high slide off that quick. The European models have been leading the way. Last night, they trended east. I'm quite interested to see their solutions.

IT sure does get wound up tight at 84. What a bomb. As stated it is the NAM and should see if the others play the far west game today.

the sfc low is 1004 in Columbus GA with heavy snow in much of central/N. Alabama eventually getting to ATL , srn TN and n. Ms. do well too. Use caution on the NAM at this time range, but we'll see if other models trend inland and west.

FWIW, the NAM(not so accurate @ 84 I know...) is a big snowstorm for E TN. I'm w/ Foothills. I'll need to see some other models before I even remotely buy into that solution. I think the key is that it's getting that high out of the way in Maine. That opens the door for an inland runner. As stubborn as the cold has been this year, I'd be surprised to see that high slide off that quick. The European models have been leading the way. Last night, they trended east. I'm quite interested to see their solutions.

its going to depend on where the new 5H energy begins to sharpen up at . Most models were a little east of the Tx region, but the NAM is there, it could be that way, these things are tricky and could be unknown for another day or even 2. Either way, I still like the idea of big snow in N. Ala, N. Miss (much of miss. later on) and southern half of TN, as either track is still going to get them. The further south and not inland track would allow N. GA and the western CArolinas on mostly snow, but as it its with the NAM, they will have to wait until the 850 low comes by, similar to the March 2009 storm.

IT sure does get wound up tight at 84. What a bomb. As stated it is the NAM and should see if the others play the far west game today.

Interestingly enough it seems like the last two storms that came from the gulf ended up being a little more south and east in the end? Maybe we can luck out with this one and be in the money zone. It seems to me it's usually the precip shield that ends up more NW.

Archived