joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The January 25/26 Storm (Part 2)

Wow

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at 84, the sfc. low is in FL panhandle and the trough is neutral tilt in southern Alabama. Pretty nice snow in Ala, n. GA and wrn NC and southern and middle TN and much of Miss. At 90 hour, theres a closed 5H over NW GA and a surface 1004 over coastal SC, so its no "bomb" but its a hefty snow in n. Ala, N. GA and southern Apps in general. At 90 hour is when the 85 corridor in GSO to CLT TO AHN is cold enough for snow.

at 96 hour, RDU to CAE is the 850 line and the coastal is 996 over NE NC. I haven't studied the qpf much but it should be several inches of snow once youre to the west of the sfc low from GA to NC, SC. The temps are barely cold aloft, even under the 5H, so this is no cold storm. at 102 its off the Delmarva and bombng the big cities...they're barely cold enough. Looks like from RDU points northeast got a big hit on the west side of the strenghtening sfc low.

Taken literally the winners here are clearly NW GA, SE and central TN and northeast AL. The details with the phasing or lack thereof after that are unclear, this is a big shift from the previous run regarding where it goes after it exits GA- still some uncertainty with details.

Dsaur,

We may need to start looking toward Groundhog day. I'm happy with tons of rain, though, we need it! Got to prepare for the summer heat.

Still time to get that upper low south of us enough so we don't get the dregs again. Still, if Tenn. can get happy, then I'm content to wait until the next one. I don't have much hope for us until the blocking gets back, but I takes my chances where I can get 'em, lol. Tony

850 line is running through CLT up 85 as the SLP is off SC coast and then moves just east of RDU at 96. The surface is so warm for everyone except the mountains. It's a perfect SLP track for the piedmont/central NC's, but it's so warm at the surface.

Yeah, I agree....looks like 2m temps are around 38 or so at 96 hr and it looks like it got up to the high 40's on Tuesday afternoon.

These 24 hour increments never show GSO 850's above zero, so I cant tell if all our moisture stays all snow, but Id think north of 40 west of 85 roughly in NC the euro qpf is all snow. we'll see in a minute. matches the gfs and gfs ensemble thermile profiles nicely IMO. No doubt its gonna require this track and rapid deepening in order to dynamically keep our column cold enough for snow. Im liking where Triad is at. GFS and Euro do us good.

some QPF

ATL .65"

BHM .85"

HSV 1.10"

BNA 1.00"

MEM .10"

TYS .40"

TRI .25"

JAN .45"

CSG .65"

AHN .70"

CAE .80"

MYR 1.10"

CHS 1.05"

ILM 1.35"

NEW 1.50"

RDU 1.00"

HKY .40"

AVL .45"

CLT .50"

GSO .50"

GSP .45"

RIC 1.25"

thanks Robert! I hope you're feeling better. I'm happy with the track on the Euro, keep the track and let the details work themselves out.

some QPF

ATL .65"

BHM .85"

HSV 1.10"

BNA 1.00"

MEM .10"

TYS .40"

TRI .25"

JAN .45"

CSG .65"

AHN .70"

CAE .80"

MYR 1.10"

CHS 1.05"

ILM 1.35"

NEW 1.50"

RDU 1.00"

HKY .40"

AVL .45"

CLT .50"

GSO .50"

GSP .45"

RIC 1.25"

Is there some sort of dry slot or something for WNC/SC? This run seems to be a step towards the GFS actually... which I wasn't expecting.

These 24 hour increments never show GSO 850's above zero, so I cant tell if all our moisture stays all snow, but Id think north of 40 west of 85 roughly in NC the euro qpf is all snow. we'll see in a minute. matches the gfs and gfs ensemble thermile profiles nicely IMO. No doubt its gonna require this track and rapid deepening in order to dynamically keep our column cold enough for snow. Im liking where Triad is at. GFS and Euro do us good.

I'll take my chances with that track in late January every time. It seems if you look at how the freezing line is going to set up, more east-west based than North-South like we've seen in a lot of recent storms.

Still time to get that upper low south of us enough so we don't get the dregs again. Still, if Tenn. can get happy, then I'm content to wait until the next one. I don't have much hope for us until the blocking gets back, but I takes my chances where I can get 'em, lol. Tony

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll be watching for the upper low to dig further south. Without the dynamic cooling, I'm too far south without a strong high pressure to funnel cold air in from the NE.

some QPF

ATL .65"

BHM .85"

HSV 1.10"

BNA 1.00"

MEM .10"

TYS .40"

TRI .25"

JAN .45"

CSG .65"

AHN .70"

CAE .80"

MYR 1.10"

CHS 1.05"

ILM 1.35"

NEW 1.50"

RDU 1.00"

HKY .40"

AVL .45"

CLT .50"

GSO .50"

GSP .45"

RIC 1.25"

That's quite a drop in precip for the upstate and given that the initial would be rain that would pretty much equal the Christmas storm. But the 0Z or tomorrow's 12Z may go back to an inch so no biggie to me, just a change in track which is expected.

A lot more details and fine tuning to come.

This run actually went very close to the Ukie- lasts nights and today's run both had this track.

Remember, the vorrt max that is our storm is still currently in the eastern Pacific, so focusing on really fine precip details is a nice thing for idle chatter but is probably not very valuable at this stage.

Yeah, I agree....looks like 2m temps are around 38 or so at 96 hr.

The Euro's 2m temp.'s are often warm biased when there is steady precip. falling. Underrneath a 500 mb low with 850's <0C and overcast/steady precip. in mid-winter, temp.'s are not going to be in the high 30's as this Euro shows. Time after time it has verified a good bit too warm over the last few winters in the SE US in similar situations. It would likely in/near the low 30's or possibly some upper 20's.The question isn't if it would be cold enough at 2 meters. The Q is whether or not these 500 mb/SLP/QPF maps will verify. if they were to, this is accumulating snow for areas under the upper low in and around far north GA. For far N GA, this run is suggesting widespread heavy snows of 2-4".

Archived