• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Question: what snow amount would make you happy, and explain why you choose that amount

J.Mike

Five inches

This is what I consider to be a significant snowfall, and it's enough to completely cover the grass and just to have the feel of a good snowstorm. Given the overall cold pattern of this winter despite the Nina and the bad luck so far, I would be very surprised if we get through the whole winter without one 5-inch snow area-wide.

I was day-dreaming, while realizing that the next two events are passing the DC Metro area by, what snow amount would make me happy, and the reasoning behind it.

Here goes . . .

Amount: 8"

Why that amount: It's the minimum amount needed to shut down Metro

:snowman:

I'm with you on this one. 8" is enough to stop Metro on above ground tracks, then OPM has to call it a day...will probably have to Telework though, but I can stay home!

I can say 3 or 5, but the truth of the matter is I probably really wouldn't be happy with anything less than 12.... But that is partly because I am can' remember the last time I saw a 3 to 5 inch snowfall. It seemed like everyone last year in DC was less than 3 or more than 5.

And the winter before that, I only remember the one in March that gave us more than 5 and earlier lesser 1 to 3 inch type storms. The good ole fashion 3 to 5 inch storm does seem to be fairly rare around here. It is usually a couple of inches or a bigger event that tops 6.

And those who said 8, I am not sure METRO would close if it was a long drawn out 8. It needs to come fairly quickly or be higher for them to close METRO. It's not like METRO sits there and does nothing while it's snowing, just waiting to reach 8 so they can close. If 8 fell over a course of a day or so and the snow never became heavy, they would have time to remove some of the snow before they would have to close.

I can say 3 or 5, but the truth of the matter is I probably really wouldn't be happy with anything less than 12.... But that is partly because I am can' remember the last time I saw a 3 to 5 inch snowfall. It seemed like everyone last year in DC was less than 3 or more than 5. And the winter before that, I only remember the last on in March that gave us more than 5 and earlier lesser 1 to 3 inch type storms. The good ole fashion 3 to 5 inch storm does seem to be fairly rare around here. It is usually a couple of inches or a bigger event that tops 6.

And those who said 8, I am not sure METRO would close if it was a long drawn out 8. It needs to come fairly quickly or be higher for them to close METRO. It's not like METRO sits there and does nothing while it's snowing, just waiting to reach 8 so they can close. If 8 fell over a course of a day or so and the snow never became heavy, they would have time to remove some of the snow before they would have to close.

Feb 3

Archived