• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Pattern beyond Jan 21st

Ginx snewx

I think I saw something that mentioned this is when the GFS typically loses the storm....is that a possibility?

Somewhat........nut not exactly. Usually - The GFS has a storm 8-9 days out. Loses it from 7-6 days out. Gains it back 5-4 Days out. Loses it 4-3 Days out and that's when we got NUTS. Then it comes back perfectly as it first was on Day 8 and 9. This is running the opposite unfortunately.

Boxing Day Blizzard was like what I mentioned. Almost to a Tee.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uncle Ukie looks pretty good for us, now....after it's 12z horror show of a cutter....suspect the GEM follows suite.

Did it slow the storm compared to the other 00z model runs? Over Virginia at 144 per UK Met versus gone on the GFS at that time? I probably am reading all this wrong.axesmiley.png

I don't really have any opinion on this storm yet except to say - persistence says another NE hit.

Disturbing to see that Ray is 2.5"ahead of me on season snowfall now. ;)

Thanks Bryan. Doesn't get any more classic map wise for a blizzard with that deep vortex near the BM and the strong HP feeding and holding cold. Too bad it's the uncle...

Lack of great excitement here so far, but nickel and dimes add up. Snow depth must average at least 15 inches now. Drifts of over 3 feet abound on the edges of the fields. I guess the last day to hit 32F was back when we had that brief torch around New Years.

I think I'm ahead of you also ....probably 50-55 so far. BOS near 50 (49.6)

MEX snow numbers are huge for this time frame...a 2 and an 8 here. Hopefully that bodes as a good sign.

Interesting how the models have actually been pretty persistent in advertising a pretty big event this far out...especially in the face of numerous short waves moving through the flow...with the main one not even out of the PAC yet. The headaches will come though...lol.

Funny that ORH, Boston and I are all in essentially a dead-heat @ ~50".

You and I have pretty much gotten the same in every event...save maybe a few variations....BOS beat us by 6" in Boxing day storm but we beat them by 6" to even it out in the Jan 12 storm.

Interesting how the models have actually been pretty persistent in advertising a pretty big event this far out...especially in the face of numerous short waves moving through the flow...with the main one not even out of the PAC yet.

It seems the long wave pattern is very favorable, so perhaps that limits the delicacy of each shortwave impacting the setup (i.e. a small difference in the shortwave won't mean too much in the scheme of things...more margin for error)

Tip actually made some good points in his thread he started. Almost everything is pointing toward a big trough on the east coast for the middle of next week.

Couil you pleace explain what this means....thx.

Its the MOS for extended range GFS...8 means >8" and 2 means 2-4"...so the MEX snow numbers are for 2-4" one period and then >8" the next period which is quite a robust signal given the time range we are working with.

Archived