Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pattern beyond Jan 21st

Ginx snewx

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

op and ens do a much nicer job of holding in HP this run. that would be welcomed.

The GFS is simply faster with the evolution of the storm and as a result the high is still there....I posted in the NYC thread I think the verdict on this storm commences within the next 2 runs of the GFS (00 or 12 runs, 06 excluded) since the GFS generally becomes way more believable inside 96 hours...if the other models are correct to an extent on the slower evolution we will likely see the GFS lose the storm on the 00 run tonight or 12 tomorrow AM since it would jump into the 120+ period...remember the GFS is quite weak in that range and in recent years when the GFS has had a timing adjustment to a system it often loses it for a run or two as opposed to just pushing it later....so my feeling is as you watch the GFS roll in tonight hold you breath as it reaches taus 72-84 and hope you start seeing something developing in the Gulf...if you start seeing a major change thats bad news for the coastal Plain people.

I think your 5miles inland made a huge difference for you and JP. Either that or southie took a much bigger hit in the rain and warmth.

You gotta get away from all the pavement and asphault. All the roads were treated and that limits the impressive look of the piles. Once you get into more residential neighborhoods, you notice the difference....at least that is what I noticed.

Tell you what...walking home from JP to my house in Brookline I was taken aback by how much freaking snow is on the ground. I haven't seen it this deep since 2005.

I was helping a neighbor of my cousin shovel this morning and I was thinking "what the hell would they do with 2 feet of snow? one lane roads in Brookline I'd say. On the ground depth isn't tremendous..probably 15-18 inches, but the piles are unreal. What a beautiful scene.

Out here we have over 2 ft on the ground but there is plenty of room. What a scene though...huge piles, pathways that have 3-4 feet on either side of them...look like tunnels, my dog gets lost in them.

BWIOCoTFTW

I was helping a neighbor of my cousin shovel this morning and I was thinking "what the hell would they do with 2 feet of snow? one lane roads in Brookline I'd say. On the ground depth isn't tremendous..probably 15-18 inches, but the piles are unreal. What a beautiful scene.

Out here we have over 2 ft on the ground but there is plenty of room. What a scene though...huge piles, pathways that have 3-4 feet on either side of them...look like tunnels, my dog gets lost in them.

BWIOCoTFTW

I love the narrow streets. It's starting to get that look in my area.

We haven't had a classic long duration snow storm for a while now. We need a good one with steady moderate to heavy snow for 24 hours straight

N. Bristol and parts of Norfolk County Mass had this with the boxing day blizz. 18 inches or so in several areas....that was moderate (S+ at times) from late sun am to mon noon (and beyond) . But sure region wide would be great.

The MA'ers are eating each other alive in some of the other threads. I haven't been paying any attention to the Winter (or lack of) they've been having until Jerry remarked on seeing no snow down there on his flight home. I wondered why there haven't been any trolls. Here I thought it was just a new sense of decorum that was established here at American.lol

The MA'ers are eating each other alive in some of the other threads. I haven't been paying any attention to the Winter (or lack of) they've been having until Jerry remarked on seeing no snow down there on his flight home. I wondered why there haven't been any trolls. Here I thought it was just a new sense of decorum that was established here at American.lol

Oh its bad. Its like reading a transcript of a Jerry Springer episode

Every time this pattern shifts it shifts to a cold and snowy take. It's unreal. Let it continue. Think about it....

a period with two big KUs 2 weeks apart (with a warmup in between) 12" here in one and 22" in the next

2nd KU ushers in cold, no more warmups and a series of small storms in a week 1.5, 7.5, 2.5, 5

now a set up for a big coastal storm as the NAO starts tanking...

What's next? gradient pattern with swfes? Why not? It's an Nina.

I have more than 50 inches in just over 3 weeks.I'm looking at the very real possibility of having 70 inches of snow in a 4 week period. Unreal.

I love the narrow streets. It's starting to get that look in my area.

One of the things I don't miss from my years in Cambridge is the parking situation in these types of winters.

Many of my neighbors in E. Cambridge still followed the shovel your space and put out a saw horse or garbage can to hold it while you're gone. Usually about a 48-72 hour respect period for that.

Every time this pattern shifts it shifts to a cold and snowy take. It's unreal. Let it continue. Think about it....

a period with two big KUs 2 weeks apart (with a warmup in between) 12" here in one and 22" in the next

2nd KU ushers in cold, no more warmups and a series of small storms in a week 1.5, 7.5, 2.5, 5

I have more than 50 inches in just over 3 weeks.I'm looking at the very real possibility of having 70 inches of snow in a 4 week period. Unreal.

LOL, 53+" here this month. More on the way. Then Feb, March, April and one last elevation bomb in May. CoT FThistoricW!

The Euro actually looks better than I thought, good job Scooter. Also nice ageo feed from a building ridge in the GL, silly talking about it now but hey why not. Again though holy winds inflow from a volatile Gulf Stream due to antecedant cold.

Looks like the ridge above the GL is the same strength as the one retreating ne. just enough space in between to bring it north but enough conribution from the gl high to keep it cold?

BWIOCoTFTW

It occasionally happens and it's a clusterf*ck. You can't walk anywhere but the middle of the road. In Coolidge Corner, they have huge front end loaders removing the snow banks. That's when I start to howl but they don't care....a shanda!!

It has occurred to me that this is a 2000-01 winter suppressed 30 miles SE. That's why the Boston area is cashing in so much better and why SE MA while above normal is struggling more. Just a thought....

Reminds me of 09-10 just further northeast and with a new england twist. blocking has predominated but not been as suppressive so storms further north. The NE twist is the little storms that keep coming in between.

Whenever the models try to warm us up, some other index keeps us cold. It's like the models have stopped trying...knowing we're in an unreal winter...one that is rare and only happens a few times in a long life. For me (understanding I lived in CA 11/76-7/91), those winters are 1955-56, 1960-61, 1965-66 (upstate NY freshman year in college), 1968-69 (senior year in college...16 inches 11/12 up in Ithaca, home (northern NJ) for the Lindsay storm, 1993-94, 1995-96, 2004-05.

pretty much got my bases covered for next week.

in nyc for work Monday - Tues morn.

sched to fly to Buffalo late afternoon Tues

flying home to MHT Wed eve.

If it is an early developer I stay in NYC, flight cancelled and enjoy the blizzard for a bit, hop on Amtrak and get home for the good stuff up here.

If it goes west I just stay an extra day in Buf.

If the 2 options above don't work out and the storm comes in too late to cancel my flt from nyc and too early for me to get home from Buf, then I will come up with a reason to cancel Buf.

Sound familiar Jerry? I bet you think like this all the time. I figure on Sunday I'll have a handle on the timing, leaving enough time to cancel Buf if I must.

pretty much got my bases covered for next week.

in nyc for work Monday - Tues morn.

sched to fly to Buffalo late afternoon Tues

flying home to MHT Wed eve.

If it is an early developer I stay in NYC, flight cancelled and enjoy the blizzard for a bit, hop on Amtrak and get home for the good stuff up here.

If it goes west I just stay an extra day in Buf.

If the 2 options above don't work out and the storm comes in too late to cancel my flt from nyc and too early for me to get home from Buf, then I will come up with a reason to cancel Buf.

Sound familiar Jerry? I bet you think like this all the time. I figure on Sunday I'll have a handle on the timing, leaving enough time to cancel Buf if I must.

Most certainly! I was already to bale Tuesday but the storm bar was too low. The main thing I do is avoid travel during the snow months whenever possible. But this year I just went to FL this week for work and need to go to Chicago around 3/20. Getting out of a FL trip will take some work but I have an ironclad excuse keeping me in town through 3/4.

whats your depth?

It occasionally happens and it's a clusterf*ck. You can't walk anywhere but the middle of the road. In Coolidge Corner, they have huge front end loaders removing the snow banks. That's when I start to howl but they don't care....a shanda!!

they pull that crap here, i hate that.

i guess you have to do it in an urban center.

fortunately i live in the burbs so i have my retreat.

Most certainly! I was already to bale Tuesday but the storm bar was too low. The main thing I do is avoid travel during the snow months whenever possible. But this year I just went to FL this week for work and need to go to Chicago around 3/20. Getting out of a FL trip will take some work but I have an ironclad excuse keeping me in town through 3/4.

My bar for up here is when a storm is likely to be 12+...that is worth pissing people off and losing money. If it is a 10 incher I find it fun to come home to and oddly I don't miss it so much. Missing a 12+ is deep emotional pain that I dont' wish to subject myself to. My partner's birthday is late Feb. He wanted to go to New Orleans or Miami, but spring break meant hotels were full and airfares expensive, so he switched to Vermont! Phew....

Good that you are set thru 3/4...lots gonna happen between now and then.

Beautiful walk in the thick veil this morning from Coolidge down to Manchester Rd. 2 inch an hour for a bit and I was out in it. Great fun up here in the countryside but something special about heavy snow in an urban area. When are you buying your far interior or north country camp?

whats your depth?

most emotional and intellectual depth is extraordinary.

my snow depth is somewhere near or just above 24. Just home tonight so will measure tomorrow. 7-8 inches of fluff added on top of about 20 when I left Wed am. Amazing how fast it compresses even in this cold. The wet snow sleet and bit of rain solidified it though and there is a 1/2 inch thick crust just under the new fluff.

most emotional and intellectual depth is extraordinary.

my snow depth is somewhere near or just above 24. Just home tonight so will measure tomorrow. 7-8 inches of fluff added on top of about 20 when I left Wed am. Amazing how fast it compresses even in this cold. The wet snow sleet and bit of rain solidified it though and there is a 1/2 inch thick crust just under the new fluff.

:lol:

My bar for up here is when a storm is likely to be 12+...that is worth pissing people off and losing money. If it is a 10 incher I find it fun to come home to and oddly I don't miss it so much. Missing a 12+ is deep emotional pain that I dont' wish to subject myself to. My partner's birthday is late Feb. He wanted to go to New Orleans or Miami, but spring break meant hotels were full and airfares expensive, so he switched to Vermont! Phew....

Good that you are set thru 3/4...lots gonna happen between now and then.

Beautiful walk in the thick veil this morning from Coolidge down to Manchester Rd. 2 inch an hour for a bit and I was out in it. Great fun up here in the countryside but something special about heavy snow in an urban area. When are you buying your far interior or north country camp?

Yes...basically a MECS is high enough. Even today's would have been missable but I love these fluff events so I'm glad I was home.

Archived