joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern beyond Jan 21st

Ginx snewx

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's safe to say that the -nao won't return for at least another 3 weeks imo. This isn't bad at all if we can keep heights high either in the EPO or PNA region. It also would allow for arctic intrusions. My concern is that we lose the +pna in February and then what happens up to our northeast. I wouldn't mind if the nao were neutral, but I think the month of Feb is a toss up. One would think the nao blocking would return at some point, but that's beyond me.

I think it's safe to say that the -nao won't return for at least another 3 weeks imo. This isn't bad at all if we can keep heights high either in the EPO or PNA region. It also would allow for arctic intrusions. My concern is that we lose the +pna in February and then what happens up to our northeast. I wouldn't mind if the nao were neutral, but I think the month of Feb is a toss up. One would think the nao blocking would return at some point, but that's beyond me.

Nice to see the - EPO positive PNA to carry us through while the Arctic goes positive, perfect actually, as the Arctic again goes negative we are still in the - EPO + PNA regime by Feb 10 th or so. As the seasonal shift begins we are primed perfect by this combo. I rate the chances as above average Dons map pans out.

Would an east based -NAO (what we are transitioning into in the next few days) be better for cold than a true positive NAO?

Puke air yesterday and today, that's what I hate about the AO being positive. Sure the PNA drives some cold down in between storms but we are prone to these puke air systems and inside runners. All the bitchin about the block but in reality because of the block we had two KU storms, now that it is gone we face puke air chances too often for my liking. The NNE guys love it but Me on the CP in SNE hates it. Looking forward to the rebuilding in Feb.

Puke air yesterday and today, that's what I hate about the AO being positive. Sure the PNA drives some cold down in between storms but we are prone to these puke air systems and inside runners. All the bitchin about the block but in reality because of the block we had two KU storms, now that it is gone we face puke air chances too often for my liking. The NNE guys love it but Me on the CP in SNE hates it. Looking forward to the rebuilding in Feb.

LOL we had puke air with a -AO from Jan-Mar 2010.

And what about the torch,puke cutters we had in Dec that destroyed everyones snowpack? Both with bigtime -NAO and -AO...This was nothing.. a few hrs above freezing here lol

i know what you are saying.....but

we had AWFUL puke air all last winter it seemed

never has eastern canada torched like that

a variable AO is much better, it needs to go positive every now and then to reload or else labrador and quebec are wearing bermuda shorts like last year

and winter ends early for all...

a variable AO is much better, it needs to go positive every now and then to reload or else labrador and quebec are wearing bermuda shorts

and winter ends early for all.

Donnie Baseball

Several quick thoughts on the AO:

1. Given past experience with historic severe to extreme December blocking episodes, the three ensemble members suggesting that the AO will likely peak at +3 to +4 near the end of January or around February 1 are probably overdone. I suspect a +1 to +2 peak is more likely.

2. The ensemble consensus that the AO will go positive for a time is reasonable. I suspect the AO+ regime will likely last 7-10 days.

3. Relying on past experience with the historic blocking cases, I suspect that the AO will begin to trend downward beginning sometime during the first week in February. The two ensemble members showing an aggressive decline prior to February 1 are likely premature. However, a gradual decline could accelerate afterward.

Things to look for:

1. The most aggressive ensemble members will scale back their forecast for the peak positive AO.

2. A growing number of ensemble members will indicate a decline in the AO sometime during the first week in February.

Already, if one animates RaleighWx's Northern Hemisphere 500 mb height anomalies, the 12z GFS run has moved somewhat more toward a less aggressive AO+ peak and a slow recovery in the AO blocking vs. the 6z run in the last frames of the animation.

Donnie Baseball

Several quick thoughts on the AO:

1. Given past experience with historic severe to extreme December blocking episodes, the three ensemble members suggesting that the AO will likely peak at +3 to +4 near the end of January or around February 1 are probably overdone. I suspect a +1 to +2 peak is more likely.

2. The ensemble consensus that the AO will go positive for a time is reasonable. I suspect the AO+ regime will likely last 7-10 days.

3. Relying on past experience with the historic blocking cases, I suspect that the AO will begin to trend downward beginning sometime during the first week in February. The two ensemble members showing an aggressive decline prior to February 1 are likely premature. However, a gradual decline could accelerate afterward.

Things to look for:

1. The most aggressive ensemble members will scale back their forecast for the peak positive AO.

2. A growing number of ensemble members will indicate a decline in the AO sometime during the first week in February.

Already, if one animates RaleighWx's Northern Hemisphere 500 mb height anomalies, the 12z GFS run has moved somewhat more toward a less aggressive AO+ peak and a slow recovery in the AO blocking vs. the 6z run in the last frames of the animation.

this years AO return will be much better for you, since eastern canada will not be flooded with maritime air

that can definitely result in a longer winter.

i dont remember exactly....but were there any significant snow events in march or april last year?

a variable AO is much better, it needs to go positive every now and then to reload or else labrador and quebec are wearing bermuda shorts like last year

and winter ends early for all...

See my first post and what a Neg AO pos PNA produce, game set match McEnroe

yeah but im talking about the fact that the AO needs time to reload to extend the season, so this year may work out better

i always keep up with Don S posts because he controls the weather for us up here.

Agree and glad we have the PNA during reload, otherwise KeV would be throwing frisbees while admiring big burly men.

LOL we had puke air with a -AO from Jan-Mar 2010.

January 10 was .03 above in BOS, the AO reached historical lows which was too much of a good thing, it however rebounded quickly in Middle Feb March, a real stinker of an air mass for Feb and March, however most areas south of the Pike finished with average to above average snow. Again let me stress I am talking about MY location, not Canada or Maine. Do not need historical values, Dons map says it all though, if the PNA stays positive and the AO goes Neg like it should, we all reap.

Interesting D6-7 storm on the Euro...looks like a lot of snow with some taint mixed in at the height. Quite a convoluted setup though so I'd be surprised not to see large shifts...also given the time frame we should expect that anyway.

Would this be mainly snow for NE Will? Sounds like it'd be rain all the way up to NYC with SE winds.

Would this be mainly snow for NE Will? Sounds like it'd be rain all the way up to NYC with SE winds.

It would be mostly snow for the interior N of HFD or so...there's a good front end dump, then taint (either sleet/ice/rain depending on location) and then it flips back to snow as the low closes off and the CCB sets up over SNE before it exits, so an additional 3-6 may fall. It may never mix or change over for N ORH county/SW NH and Berkshires for SNE locations.

Its a complicated setup and not worth discussing details at this time range though. The only idea to take away from it is that there's potential for a winter storm next week.

It would be mostly snow for the interior N of HFD or so...there's a good front end dump, then taint (either sleet/ice/rain depending on location) and then it flips back to snow as the low closes off and the CCB sets up over SNE before it exits, so an additional 3-6 may fall. It may never mix or change over for N ORH county/SW NH and Berkshires for SNE locations.

Its a complicated setup and not worth discussing details at this time range though. The only idea to take away from it is that there's potential for a winter storm next week.

Thanks for the response. The other good thing is it shifted to a coastal scenario as opposed to a low that cuts inland.

Current 00z SFC sumamry minus the euro.........

Ukie @ 144:

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

GGEM @ 156

GZ_D5_PN_156_0000.gif

GFS going fishing @ 156:

gfs_pcp_156m.gif

Still a long ways off and I haven't seen the new euro yet but judging by ORH_wxman's comment above the gfs seems like an outlier right now with an OTS track....

Edited...

144hr euro from Allan's page is out....

00zeuro850mbTSLPUS144.gif

Archived