EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Pattern beyond Jan 21st

Ginx snewx

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey so is BDL's month-to-date total (43.0") accurate? Is so, that puts them exactly 0.1" away from the snowiest January on record (Jan 1996 -- 43.1"), and 2.3" away from the snowiest month on record (Dec 1945 -- 45.3")

I've had 43.5 inches in the last 2 weeks. In my wildest dreams I could have never imagined this happening

It seems so odd that thismidweek event gets here just on the heels of some of the coldest weather in several years. The high just happens to be slipping off the coast with this giant snowpack in place and all this energy comes together to make a big storm and its gonna warm up and rain?? There is no chance of another hi pres nosing in to keep this a big snow event for everyone?

The discussion from mt holly was depressing this morning. Yesterday they were leaning towards big snow for them and today they feel the more coastal hugging track will verify and it will generally be rain for them. Upton was unchanged from yesterdays disc and on the vague side nonetheless.

At this point in the hfd/spfd area maybe the best I should hope for is a good front end dump and a lot of sleet to make a bigger glacker?? That would work too! There has to be enough anteceedent cold for several inches of snow on the front end anyway i would hope.

There are two things I have noticed though over the past five days or so with the discussion of this possible and now very likely event:

Retreating high pressure albeit of true arciic origin

Closer track to the coast or normally preferred track but due to high pressure mixing issues are likely at the least

From experience I get worried when Albany is heartily discussing mixing possibilities this far out.

I am just sitting here on the couch totally naked after reading this from Donny Baseball thread

Given the above factors, I believe the Middle Atlantic region, New England, Ohio Valley/Great Lakes, Northern Plains and Central Plains will likely feature colder than normal readings for the month. The Pacific Northwest, Southern Plains (particularly Texas), and probably the Gulf Coast into the Southeast will probably wind up on the milder side of normal, though a cold shot at some point is possible.

• February will likely feature above-to-much above normal snowfall in the northern Mid-Atlantic region and southern New England. Philadelphia, Newark, New York City, Providence, and Boston will likely see above normal to excessive snowfall for the month. February will likely feature more snowfall than January in Ottawa and similar amounts to January in Toronto. A KU-type snowstorm cannot be ruled out.

• February will likely feature one or two significant Arctic intrusions that could send temperatures below -25°C (-13°F) and possibly to or below -30°C (-22°F) in Ottawa and Montreal. Toronto could be a shade warmer, but should see one or more -20°C (-4°F) minimum temperatures. Single digit lows should occur on one or more days in such cities as Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston and a subzero low in any of those cities is not out of the realm of possibility

I am just sitting here on the couch totally naked after reading this from Donny Baseball thread

Given the above factors, I believe the Middle Atlantic region, New England, Ohio Valley/Great Lakes, Northern Plains and Central Plains will likely feature colder than normal readings for the month. The Pacific Northwest, Southern Plains (particularly Texas), and probably the Gulf Coast into the Southeast will probably wind up on the milder side of normal, though a cold shot at some point is possible.

• February will likely feature above-to-much above normal snowfall in the northern Mid-Atlantic region and southern New England. Philadelphia, Newark, New York City, Providence, and Boston will likely see above normal to excessive snowfall for the month. February will likely feature more snowfall than January in Ottawa and similar amounts to January in Toronto. A KU-type snowstorm cannot be ruled out.

• February will likely feature one or two significant Arctic intrusions that could send temperatures below -25°C (-13°F) and possibly to or below -30°C (-22°F) in Ottawa and Montreal. Toronto could be a shade warmer, but should see one or more -20°C (-4°F) minimum temperatures. Single digit lows should occur on one or more days in such cities as Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston and a subzero low in any of those cities is not out of the realm of possibility

SNE weenie race to (100") ?

* ecluding pete and the met from lenox (who are at 75 and 65-70 respectfully).

This never gets old from you Kevin.....full frontal and backal...

:snowman:

fixed for verification purposes

this was your winter NE, I said it in the fall, congrats

but anyone who thinks its gonna' change for the MA now, imho, is going to be wrong

not that I wouldn't be ecstatic if I ended up having the wrong forecast

There are two things I have noticed though over the past five days or so with the discussion of this possible and now very likely event:

Retreating high pressure albeit of true arciic origin

Closer track to the coast or normally preferred track but due to high pressure mixing issues are likely at the least

From experience I get worried when Albany is heartily discussing mixing possibilities this far out.

You and MPM should get together for a drink. Nothing to worry about. This one will land a direct hit.

1,000 units? Do you live in prison?

That's a huge complex.

lol .....i live in w. framingham........not Walpole.

perhaps i used the wrong terminology.(units) ....but there are four gigantic 6 story buildings....stretched out w-e over .4 to .5 mile or so. mine is furthest west at the top of the hill.

You and MPM should get together for a drink. Nothing to worry about. This one will land a direct hit.

Pete there shouldn't be any direahea inducing ML warming from a parent low in NW PA W NY. you should get crushed. with Savoy probably being lost for a month or two. ....unless of course this slides out ENE Of s. nj.

Looks like the coldest night here since the Winter of 2008-2009 on tap.

SUNDAY NIGHT...COLDEST AIRMASS SINCE JAN 2005 LIKELY ACROSS

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AS ARCTIC HIGH PRES BUILDS TO THE NORTH.

TEMPS WILL BE COLDER THAN 850 MB TEMPS WOULD SUGGEST DUE TO

SHALLOW MIXING DEPTH. 2M TEMPS EXTREMELY COLD SUNDAY NIGHT AND

EVEN WITH SOME WIND EXPECT WIDESPREAD MINS WELL BELOW ZERO. -25F

POSSIBLE IN THE INTERIOR NW VALLEYS WHERE IT DECOUPLES...AND NEAR

ZERO OR SLIGHTLY BELOW ALONG THE S COAST. OUTER CAPE AND ISLANDS

MAY BE ONLY LOCATIONS TO ESCAPE SUBZERO TEMPS. BOS AND PVD MAY SEE

FIRST BELOW ZERO TEMPS SINCE JAN 22 2005 WITH EXPECTED MIN -2 OR

-3F.

Guess who.lol

should be an interesting weekend.

everything really hinges on how far south / west the energy dropping into the plains digs early in the week. the ggem and ec continue to drive it all the way to the northern GOM and really strengthen the southern portion of the two regions of vorticity in question, which allows it to close off very far southwest...you've essentially got a negatively tilted full lat trough at like 90W...blech. the result is LP developing in the gulf, becoming a water-loaded miller A but really wrapping up and tucking very far west (relatively speaking). i would say the ec ens look a bit like the op but they just don't dig as far (not too surprising given ens vs op).

the gfs (and to some extent last night's UKMET run) just don't handle the energy this way. they swing it through but don't dig nearly as far south, and concurrently don't strengthen the vorticity max until later/further east.

one side will/should give pretty soon. all the other details won't work out for several days but whether this is more of a interior or everyone threat should be known *somewhat* soon...in a relative sense.

Looks like the coldest night here since the Winter of 2008-2009 on tap.

SUNDAY NIGHT...COLDEST AIRMASS SINCE JAN 2005 LIKELY ACROSS

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AS ARCTIC HIGH PRES BUILDS TO THE NORTH.

TEMPS WILL BE COLDER THAN 850 MB TEMPS WOULD SUGGEST DUE TO

SHALLOW MIXING DEPTH. 2M TEMPS EXTREMELY COLD SUNDAY NIGHT AND

EVEN WITH SOME WIND EXPECT WIDESPREAD MINS WELL BELOW ZERO. -25F

POSSIBLE IN THE INTERIOR NW VALLEYS WHERE IT DECOUPLES...AND NEAR

ZERO OR SLIGHTLY BELOW ALONG THE S COAST. OUTER CAPE AND ISLANDS

MAY BE ONLY LOCATIONS TO ESCAPE SUBZERO TEMPS. BOS AND PVD MAY SEE

FIRST BELOW ZERO TEMPS SINCE JAN 22 2005 WITH EXPECTED MIN -2 OR

-3F.

Guess who.lol

It's nights like that that make me wonder how we ever get to 90F in summer.

Or, in your case, 78F.

A strong storm system hammered portions of the eastern U.S. during the first week of March, 2001. The storm dumped 9.21 inches of rain in Georgianna, Alabama in a four-day period ending at 8 AM CST on March 4th, 2001. The storm also dumped heavy snows on portions of the northeast. The heaviest snows were across interior sections of Pennsylvania, New York and New England on March 5th and 6th with 2-3 feet amounts quite common. The heaviest reported amount fell at Nottingham, New Hampshire with a storm total of 40 inches. Winds also gusted to 97 MPH at Mt. Washington with areas along the New England coast gusting over 60 MPH. A cold flow behind the storm brought heavy snows across the backbone of the Appalachians from the Carolinas to Pennsylvania. Snowfall amounts in these areas ranged from 5-20 inches, with Avery county North Carolina reporting up to 18 inches of snow.

The above was mentioned by 40/70 in an earlier post. I live in Nottingham and that was the greatest storm i have EVER experienced. Anything coming to even 75% of what that was would still be tremendous with the snow OTG now. That winter i was able to drive sleds over my above ground pool with 52"wall! Ah the good ol days are back :snowman:

Pete there shouldn't be any direahea inducing ML warming from a parent low in NW PA W NY. you should get crushed. with Savoy probably being lost for a month or two.

I'm feeling pretty good about it. Seems like BOX concurs with their forecast calling for "Snow Likely 60% " here on Wednesday. That seems bullish given the lead time.Would like to make a run at 100" before January is out. A 2 footer put me over the top. Places like Savoy/Peru are priobably in the mid to upper 90's already. 77+" here with another heavy dusting overnight.

Archived