SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 17-19 Mid-Atlantic obs/disco continued

nw baltimore wx

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly hasn't gotten much air time on here... 0.1"+ QPF in a few areas could lead to more ice/sleet or an inch of snow. Something to watch for sure until the Thu/Fri system ramps up.

gfs looks warm in the bl on the maps.. havent looked at soundings. seems like it might end as some sloppy flakes but not amount to much or anything around here?

gfs looks warm in the bl on the maps.. havent looked at soundings. seems like it might end as some sloppy flakes but not amount to much or anything around here?

It shouldn't really stick around here from the BL temps, but some higher elevations or a few cooler spots could get some accumulation.

Obviously, I'm not as deft at reading the details as others, but it looks to me like cold air should be filtering in with the rain. Combined with some decent precip rates, couldn't the marginal column cool pretty quickly?

Obviously, I'm not as deft at reading the details as others, but it looks to me like cold air should be filtering in with the rain. Combined with some decent precip rates, couldn't the marginal column cool pretty quickly?

it could i suppose tho it looks like 850 doesnt cool to 0C or below till it's almost over.

nam at 24: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/12/images/nam_pcp_024m.gif

nam sim at 24: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/12/images/nam_ref_024m.gif

gfs surface temps at 24: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/12/images/gfs_ten_024m.gif

This storm has turned into quite the mess. The Red Line of Metro is suspended between Twinbrook and Shady Grove, and has been for hours, due to wires hanging over the tracks. Lots of people in the outer burbs can't make it into the city....

Hmmm if I recall....you were the one saying the models were too cold devilsmiley.gif

yeah in the end i did say that. overall i was off a bit tho i picked up on it earlier than some just didnt get that into it down the stretch. ice doesnt excite me enough to pay that much attention.

This storm has turned into quite the mess. The Red Line of Metro is suspended between Twinbrook and Shady Grove, and has been for hours, due to wires hanging over the tracks. Lots of people in the outer burbs can't make it into the city....

I-70 East was closed for quite a while in Mount Airy due to an overturned truck that had been carrying embalming fluids and other chemicals, according to the Sun.

The whole "models struggle with CAD" thing is one weenie phrase that usually seems to work out.

yeah especially with a low on the coast. i think having all of it come overnight instead of into today probably helped too.

yeah especially with a low on the coast. i think having all of it come overnight instead of into today probably helped too.

For sure, having all the rain occur at night helped out. I'm still at 32.5 here in northern calvert but 15 minutes to my south temps are 35 to 36.

I looked at sounding from the NAM and they are pretty dicey for DC and points east with the next storm. A pretty deep isothermal layer right at freezing at 72hrs and a little warm layer at 66. The gfs is quite a bit colder.

For sure, having all the rain occur at night helped out. I'm still at 32.5 here in northern calvert but 15 minutes to my south temps are 35 to 36.

I looked at sounding from the NAM and they are pretty dicey for DC and points east with the next storm. A pretty deep isothermal layer right at freezing at 72hrs and a little warm layer at 66. The gfs is quite a bit colder.

im going to hug the gfs for now.. it's been on a roll sort of

Forecasting DC has just been SO EASY this winter :rolleyes: This is why I've been in perpetual Wait And See mode over the last two months.

Well... got power back. Tree cutting project my a**. Only my block was out tho, everyone else was fine from what I saw

I got 1 pic...for some reason my cellphone camera isn't working anymore, so looks like this is all I will get for this storm :(

By my best measurements, we saw around 0.4" of ice, which means folks to my north probably saw around 1/2".

This pic don't really capture the extent of the ice, but these branches are weighed down 15ft.

ice1.jpg?t=1295345962

Well... got power back. Tree cutting project my a**. Only my block was out tho, everyone else was fine from what I saw

I got 1 pic...for some reason my cellphone camera isn't working anymore, so looks like this is all I will get for this storm :(

By my best measurements, we saw around 0.4" of ice, which means folks to my north probably saw around 1/2". The pic don't do it justice either.

ice1.jpg?t=1295345962

looks like you got more than anyone else in the area.. congrats! btw, dont go toward the light.

Archived