• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17-19 Mid-Atlantic obs/disco continued

nw baltimore wx

Well... got power back. Tree cutting project my a**. Only my block was out tho, everyone else was fine from what I saw

I got 1 pic...for some reason my cellphone camera isn't working anymore, so looks like this is all I will get for this storm :(

By my best measurements, we saw around 0.4" of ice, which means folks to my north probably saw around 1/2".

This pic don't really capture the extent of the ice, but these branches are weighed down 15ft.

ice1.jpg?t=1295345962

Really? .4 of ice? The highest I've seen was .32 and that was in PG county. Everything else has been .2 to .25

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

No idea - was going by what LWX had in their storm totals.

yeah, i saw it when i just checked to see that bethesda apparently was the epicenter. some ppl add the ice on both sides of a limb or something. but .32" would be hard to measure. ice measurments seem best rounded to the nearest .05, though i honestly feel most should round snow as well.

Really? .4 of ice? The highest I've seen was .32 and that was in PG county. Everything else has been .2 to .25

Again, I could be completely wrong, I can't really "measure" Ice exactly, but I walked around for about 15min trying to determine how much there was. The ZR is melting into my WXstation rain guage, & it has 0.26 precip measured so far (some is obviously sleet), so, not sure exactly. But it looks like 0.4, maybe give or take 0.05

Some of the stuff the NWS is reporting from various locations is BS... two reports of traces in MoCo, but I can tell you we had at least a quarter of an inch or more. As much as was needed to knock out power at work and cause a transformer to blow nearby with only 1/2 inch of snow before the transition.

Forecasting DC has just been SO EASY this winter :rolleyes: This is why I've been in perpetual Wait And See mode over the last two months.

The other bothersome thing about the storm is the vort position which is pretty far north suggesting that there still might be some potential for the low to end up a little more to the north when it's west of the mountains. That could change the thermal profiles. That's why the CWG is going to be very conservative in their discussion today. The one saving grace for the nam is the jet streak to our south. It helps reform the low over VA. We're introducing a 30% chance of getting over an inch and are emphasizing that from the city east there could still be mixing or ptype issues. The sref members have quite a few showing rain.

yeah, i saw it when i just checked to see that bethesda apparently was the epicenter. some ppl add the ice on both sides of a limb or something. but .32" would be hard to measure. ice measurments seem best rounded to the nearest .05, though i honestly feel most should round snow as well.

Yeah thats one of the Many things I did, and it really appeared to over around the 0.4" mark no matter how I measured. There are a few Pine limbs that came down btw, but No real tree damage to speak of.

Some of the stuff the NWS is reporting from various locations is BS... two reports of traces in MoCo, but I can tell you we had at least a quarter of an inch or more. As much as was needed to knock out power at work and cause a transformer to blow nearby with only 1/2 inch of snow before the transition.

I do agree that trace amounts of ice are wrong, .25 is a bit more believable than .4, especially when no other place recorded that much ice.

What a temps supposed to do tonight?

Just checked the reporting stations around the area.

Frederick - 36

Navel Academy - 34

BWI- 35

DC - 35

Patuxent River Navel Air Station - 36

Martinsburg, Wva - 33

Obviously temps only have to drop 3-4 degrees and NWS will have a problem on their hands.

Yeah thats one of the Many things I did, and it really appeared to over around the 0.4" mark no matter how I measured. There are a few Pine limbs that came down btw, but No real tree damage to speak of.

You should only take one side... So .20 might be more accurate and fits better with other reports.

Well there's your problem. Paraphrased from Ian... radius (measuring against gravity), not diameter!

Can make for good pictures though. If I had any skill and a decent camera, this could have been a nice shot.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than my expert ice shot. This one did make me chuckle as I sat at a light in northern MoCo this morning:

post-109-0-95663200-1295386750.jpg

Sitting at 30.8°F in Clarksburg right now (4:40pm). That's also the high for the day. Ended up with 1.1" of snow measured right around midnight when the changeover to IP started, an unknown amount of IP (too lazy/sleepy to go re-measure) and around .25" of ZR to glaze everything over. WSW seemed warranted up in far north Montgomery County.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than my expert ice shot. This one did make me chuckle as I sat at a light in northern MoCo this morning:

Sitting at 30.8°F in Clarksburg right now (4:40pm). That's also the high for the day. Ended up with 1.1" of snow measured right around midnight when the changeover to IP started, an unknown amount of IP (too lazy/sleepy to go re-measure) and around .25" of ZR to glaze everything over. WSW seemed warranted up in far north Montgomery County.

It certainly seemed warranted here in extreme SE Montgomery too. Solid ice on the roads here even into the morning rush.

Archived