Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Post Turkey Day Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't get my hopes up for snow until Dec 1st. Start of met. winter.

brother chris ......pete says those are not the words of a follower. it's close enough

perhaps a list of simple commandments would help guide some.

thou shall not go against the cold

thou shall not be tempted by thoughts of changeovers

thou shall not bear false witness and claim climatology when frozen is modeled

thou shall not bounce checks to the rev

thou shall not live within 25 miles of the CP.

looks much better on the euro ens mean......euro came in line with gfs......:snowman:

torch minnesota for all i care

but dont F with our pattern change

as we thought

That's not the Euro ens mean...its the OP run averaged 8-10 days out.

Ens mean though looks very active for early December with some chances. It cooled a bit too from the 12z ens mean

That's not the Euro ens mean...its the OP run averaged 8-10 days out.

Ens mean though looks very active for early December with some chances. It cooled a bit too from the 12z ens mean

That first week of Dec is shaping up to be fun times, imo. Multiple storm threats that have the potential to bury someone in the Northeast. Could make for some great early season skiing. I think maybe a spin-off thread to discuss those should be in order?

That first week of Dec is shaping up to be fun times, imo. Multiple storm threats that have the potential to bury someone in the Northeast. Could make for some great early season skiing. I think maybe a spin-off thread to discuss those should be in order?

Yeah this is supposed to be mostly about the T-day "threat".

I'll start a new pattern change thread for early December.

Hello upslope snow! Regardless of what happens prior, it looks like the storm will rapidly deepen off to our northeast and if that thing stalls like the 00z GFS shows... its game on in the Green Mountains and northern slopes of the 'Dacks.

When a larger grid model like the GFS (with smoothed terrain) shows QPF like this from cyclonic NW flow, it means game-time for the Greens.

00z GFS is eye candy... over 24 hours of moist NW flow into the mountains. We'd be talking foot plus at the ski resorts and 6-12" in surrounding towns.

I think in the climatologically coldest areas of SNE, the qpf will be an issue even if a colder solution were to evolve.

27.6/16.

You're trying to get the DD moniker for yourself aren't you? Never a shred of optimism. Stop it lest I take collateral damage from Ullr for your lack of piety.

Box's forecast for the East slope now has delayed the onset of precip and has removed rain from the r/sThursday night forecast and replaced it simply with Snow. with a high in the 30's T-day and 25 Thanksgiving night. Beyond T-day it looks like temps will struggle to break the freezing mark. Those of little faith shall be struck down should they not repent.

It has, though it still has rain for the Thursday afternoon time frame (at least for both our zones).

Plus the fact that the coldest of the air doesn't move in until after the fact the system has departed isn't good either. The airmass that will be in place out ahead of the system isn't all that cold and while they weren't exactly cold when we had the light snow a few weeks ago we at least were aided by dynamics and evap. cooling, both of which will probably be non factors here.

Given the flow probably out ahead of the low we will see a good deal of low-level warmth being advected into the region, while it may be cold enough at 850mb below that is where the warmth will exist.

Strongly agree...people see 850s below 0C and just assume that it'll be snow. There's a ton of E/SE flow ahead of this system due to the positioning of the Bermuda high and initial low track, so you've got to deal with maritime air intrusions. This is late November, folks, not late January. The retrograding system on 11/8 had strong NW winds ahead of it that funneled in colder and especially drier air, which allowed people to wetbulb into the 33-34F range and pick up some snow. When you look for early-season snow events, you always look at 2m temps or 925mb temps first; in this case, the lower levels are cooking. A lot of people aren't seeing that since the thicknesses and 850s are fairly low.

Strongly agree...people see 850s below 0C and just assume that it'll be snow. There's a ton of E/SE flow ahead of this system due to the positioning of the Bermuda high and initial low track, so you've got to deal with maritime air intrusions. This is late November, folks, not late January. The retrograding system on 11/8 had strong NW winds ahead of it that funneled in colder and especially drier air, which allowed people to wetbulb into the 33-34F range and pick up some snow. When you look for early-season snow events, you always look at 2m temps or 925mb temps first; in this case, the lower levels are cooking. A lot of people aren't seeing that since the thicknesses and 850s are fairly low.

Way too many dismissals from mets and weenies alike for the Tday storm. Don't think for a second there's not room for it to end up squashed south of us and a colder solution. Likely maybe not..but possible with the mega block in place

Way too many dismissals from mets and weenies alike for the Tday storm. Don't think for a second there's not room for it to end up squashed south of us and a colder solution. Likely maybe not..but possible with the mega block in place

I haven't discounted a colder look, but I'm certainly not favoring it. Even if it doesn't trend any colder, there could be some sleet or brief snow to sleet at the beginning of it. But that doesn't excite me too much if its not going to be prolonged.

I haven't discounted a colder look, but I'm certainly not favoring it. Even if it doesn't trend any colder, there could be some sleet or brief snow to sleet at the beginning of it. But that doesn't excite me too much if its not going to be prolonged.

No I know..I didn't mean you. I don't think we see all frozen..but a few hours of snow/sleet/ice is very possible and in some places in Norhtern Mass/SW NH it might stay all frozen while I sit at 35 and rain after some ice

Archived