gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Post Turkey Day Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course some people could start off as frozen, but there's no way it'll last long. Here's the 2m chart from the 6z GFS at 90hrs....note the raging easterly winds that are starting to warm up the region:

That doesn't look like a snow set-up to me in late November.

Who besides someone who pulls stockings up to their chin would analyze a day 4-5 threat off of the 6z GFS?

Who besides someone who pulls stockings up to their chin would analyze a day 4-5 threat off of the 6z GFS?

The first piece of energy that ejects would be too warm due to SE winds, but that's the Tuesday/Wednesday storm. I am getting a bit confused with all these shortwaves. Still looks like the next storm is a cutter though. It starts off with a favorable wind pattern but then gets nasty as the precip moves in...it does look as if there's a longer period of W winds to cool down the surface and lower dewpoints, but then it starts to turn the flow SE. Here is the map I was looking for:

socks distorted visibility.....common occurence

No, the wind goes SE later on...I just posted the wrong map. There is a good period of westerly flow prior to the storm that cools and dries off the airmass in SNE. It gets crappy around 120/126 on the 6z GFS with a miserable maritime flow and 850s rapidly warming. Would be way too mild for any prolonged snow/ice threat dude.

It seems like we have come full circle here to where the models were several days ago. They kept pushing back the arrival of any cold and now we find that it actually gets colder faster after all. -10C 850 here on Wednesday is respectable cold for November. Lets hope we can hold onto enough for some frozen.

GFS has a very cold Wednesday before Thanksgiving on the 12z run. Maybe highs in the mid 30s?

It seems like we have come full circle here to where the models were several days ago. They kept pushing back the arrival of any cold and now we find that it actually gets colder faster after all. -10C 850 here on Wednesday is respectable cold for November. Lets hope we can hold onto enough for some frozen.

The 6z GFS didn't get nearly that cold in your area...looks more like -6/-7C and just for one day. Would be a chilly day Wednesday, however, under a stiff W flow.

OES wed nite? shot in dark

ya the colder trend for wednesday started yesterday....when the martimime lp became more of a prominent feature....and was turne up a notch now

looks darn cold wednesday now.

not that that means anything for late thurs /fri but this is an interesting pattern and i don't trust anything i see further out then wednesday at this point. no matter wether the gfs takes a coastal bomb over the bm.

rev kev can put another weenie in his cap with a cold trending wednesday

The block is just clogging things up int he flow. Thanksgiving might be totally dry. Euro last night didn't even have anything until Thursday evening.

Why do you think we're getting these 5SD blocks in a strong Niña? Do you think the solar stuff is having an effect and will keep the AO/NAO negative this winter?

It seems like we've had near constant blocking since Summer 2008....

Eventually the storm makes its push Friday morning....2m temps are pretty cold though over the interior. Could start as some icing. Otherwise everyone goes to rain eventually.

With the block in place as it is, a dry Thanksgiving might be the way to go.

Archived