gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Post Turkey Day Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So has the GFS taken the Euro behind the woodshed with this? I hear the good reverend calling us from the edge. Little by little, we inch back....

Still not expecting much of anything here, but seeing the hit in the cards for ME/NH is reason enough to smile. Who knows--maybe can eek out a couple here in Mass.

27.1/20

Specifics to be determined, but if the ensembles are right, we got some chances in the 1st week of December.   Snowman.gif

Which ensembles , gfs or Euro?    I've seen the gfs ensembles,  some very eyebrow raising solutions.      not sure about individual euro members. 

Which ensembles , gfs or Euro? I've seen the gfs ensembles, some very eyebrow raising solutions. not sure about individual euro members.

Both looked pretty favorable,but that's about all you can really say. I wouldn't be shocked if a one or two of the potential storms turns into an inside runner, but we just don't know this far out.

Both looked pretty favorable,but that's about all you can really say. I wouldn't be shocked if a one or two of the potential storms turns into an inside runner, but we just don't know this far out.

I'd take the inside runner with cold air around and blocking downstream.    (assuming it hasn't completely broken down by then) 

I'd take the inside runner with cold air around and blocking downstream. (assuming it hasn't completely broken down by then)

The block is large and in charge, but two things somewhat concern me.

1) Intensity of the west based block. We don't want it to be like last year where it's so far west and intense, all the cold is pushed into western Canada and the Plains. On the plus side, it also might be able to wrap back colder air underneath the block as s/w's amplify as they approach the east coast. It is possible to have too much of a good thing, and we are very early in the season.

2) GOA low heights. This may act to flex the se ridge from time to time, and cause storms to try and make a run for the OH valley.

I will say having lots of s/w's moving into the US thanks to the GOA low, move under a massive nao block will increase storm chances.

Yup

THIS WOULD PLACE A SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE ALONG THE MID ATLANTIC

COAST EXTENDING NORTH INTO QUEBEC. BASED ON THIS...DECIDED TO

START THANKSGIVING DRY AND BRING IN PRECIPITATION LATER IN THE

DAY FROM WEST TO EAST. THE EXACT TIMING OF THIS PRECIPITATION WILL

BE CRUCIAL TO THE FORECAST. IF IT COMES IN MUCH LATER...COULD SEE

A SIGNIFICANT WINTRY MIX OF SNOW...SLEET OR EVEN SOME FREEZING

RAIN. WITH THE UNCERTAIN TIMING...DECIDED TO KEEP THE FORECAST

SIMPLE FOR NOW AND JUST MENTION EITHER RAIN AND/OR SNOW.

Euro is wintry mix for all of interior SNE..and has trended colder with the storm as we thought and told Bob the other day.. you ain't cutting a storm into that block

It's warm, it may start as a brief mix in sne, but goes over to rain. I'll give it a shot to come a little south, but I think it's mostly down the drain.

The block is large and in charge, but two things somewhat concern me.

1) Intensity of the west based block.  We don't want it to be like last year where it's so far west and intense, all the cold is pushed into western Canada and the Plains. On the plus side, it also might be able to wrap back colder air underneath the block as s/w's amplify as they approach the east coast. It is possible to have too much of a good thing, and we are very early in the season.

2) GOA low heights. This may act to flex the se ridge from time to time, and cause storms to try and make a run for the OH valley.

I will say having lots of s/w's moving into the US thanks to the GOA low, move under a massive nao block will increase storm chances.

Good points.    

Yup

That is a ? at best,   I highly doubt anyone south of VT/NH/ME sees much snow.

Yup

honestly, i don't think a whole lot has changed with respect to the tday storm. looks marginal at the onset for some mixed frozen stuff, better the further NE you go, and then we warm pretty significantly for a time in the low and mid levels. it'll have to shift around quite a bit for a more entertaining solution. still some time for that i suppose, but right now, i'd say prepare for mainly water.

Archived