• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All Time favorite weather event

Thundersnow12

I am really bored so just thought I would do this...

You have to think of your all time favorite event that you either followed, documented, chased etc and do a quick summary on it and include pictures/wx graphics if you want. It can be from any year that you have been alive lol

I'm still trying to narrow done a few to my numero uno and than il post mine.

Hmmmm...

That would have to be the Snowstorm/Blizzard etc.. of 1978,

Somehwere in the family archives there are photos of the deep snow and snow drifts around the house.

Yeah, that is probably my favorite weather event...

December 22-23 2004. Near 20 inches of snow with that storm.

Yep - We had a lot of snow with that one..23" here in Sidney...BUT it don't come close to the 70 MPH wind gusts and 12" of snow during the blizzard. The 2004 snow was melted by New Years Eve.......

Three way tie

Blizzard -78

March -96 - 30"+

Dec - 04 - 30"+

Tough to choose. I was out of school for several weeks in 78, and I remember jumping off the roof of the barn into snowdrifts 7 or 8 feet deep. The power was out for a week in 96. In 04 it was right before Christmas and I was on vacation and didn't have to worry about getting to work.

I would say the Great Flood of 1993. I never seen so much rain my life. One night we received 9 inches of rain. The sidewalk in front of our house was a river. It would of knock anyone down. Dad said when he got to Ankeny, Iowa that night the manhole covers were being blown up into the air due to all the water coming into the sewer system too fast. Pretty much Ankeny is built on a drain wet land. Luckily, we lived on a hill, but our yard was so wet it was like walking on a sponge. But luckily our basement stayed bone dry.

Blizzard of 99 Chicago. I was 9 years old at the time. I remember walking right in the middle of the Blizzard 3 blocks down to go to the gas station with my sister and brother. My dad was sleeping at the time and man he was pissed when we came home drenched in snow and he was screaming to us saying how dangerous it was. Man it was so windy and whiteout conditions we can barely see a foot ahead of us. We literally had to pull ourselves to get home because snow drfits were as high as my 7 year old sister at the time.

Top 3:

1) Milwaukee, WI May 31,1998 Derecho (only time experiencing 100+ mph winds)

2) Milwaukee, WI January 1-3, 1999 Midwest Blizzard (best winter storm)

3) Madison, WI February 16, 2006 Thundersnow (10" of snow in about 3-4 hours, at least 20 flashes of lightning)

1) 20"+ snow IMBY on Dec. 22, 2004. NWS was predicting a minor event that morning. By 3 p.m., it was thumping down in sheets of white. One of those rare events when we get much more than originally forecasted.

2) Blizzard of '78...another event lightly forecasted until just before it thumped down. Out of school for a week and a half. Drifts six feet deep closed main county road in front of my house. Everyone got around by sled for a week. How sweet it was!

Snowman.gifdrunk.giftongue.gif

i'm gonna throw a weird one in here...not necessarily my favorite, but top 5.

Sept.14, 2008

Hurricane Ike remnant windstorm. Wildest afternoon i remember here in many years, with effects that lasted longer than most big snowstorm aftermaths. The craziest thing was it was very poorly forecasted, hit like a wall, lasted for about 6-8 hrs, and not a drop of rain fell. By the time it was over most people were without electricity and tree damage was widespread.

I still remembering sitting in a wendy's with my kids after my sons football game, (it was a sunday afternoon). All of a sudden it looked like a duststorm outside and the lights started flickering. The ride back to the house, was dodging branches and debris flyiing all over the place. When we got home, I sat on my back porch and watched it all unfold, including a 40' whitepine in our backyard snap in half.

I found out i just made it out of the park(football field), in the nick of time. A lot of other parents were stranded from trees coming down and blocking the exit roads.

Blizzard of 99 Chicago. I was 9 years old at the time. I remember walking right in the middle of the Blizzard 3 blocks down to go to the gas station with my sister and brother. My dad was sleeping at the time and man he was pissed when we came home drenched in snow and he was screaming to us saying how dangerous it was. Man it was so windy and whiteout conditions we can barely see a foot ahead of us. We literally had to pull ourselves to get home because snow drfits were as high as my 7 year old sister at the time.

Cromartie fail.

i'm gonna throw a weird one in here...not necessarily my favorite, but top 5.

Sept.14, 2008

Hurricane Ike remnant windstorm. Wildest afternoon i remember here in many years, with effects that lasted longer than most big snowstorm aftermaths. The craziest thing was it was very poorly forecasted, hit like a wall, lasted for about 6-8 hrs, and not a drop of rain fell. By the time it was over most people were without electricity and tree damage was widespread.

I still remembering sitting in a wendy's with my kids after my sons football game, (it was a sunday afternoon). All of a sudden it looked like a duststorm outside and the lights started flickering. The ride back to the house, was dodging branches and debris flyiing all over the place. When we got home, I sat on my back porch and watched it all unfold, including a 40' whitepine in our backyard snap in half.

I found out i just made it out of the park(football field), in the nick of time. A lot of other parents were stranded from trees coming down and blocking the exit roads.

This would be my third choice

#2 would be the blizzard of 78

#1 would be the May 73 tornado-went about half a mile or so south of our home. For me nothing beats seeing a tornado up close and in person-absolutely mesmerizing-I don't think anything(except seeing another tornado) can top it.

Archived