Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

Closing in on 4 inches here in southeastern passaic county... looking at the bands setting up, i can't believe it, but i may reach the high end of OKX forecast amount of 12. Definite possibility. SN+ here

3 blocks from LGA and it is smokin outside right now. Not an official measurement but I think we have close to 4 inches with very heavy snow. Hard to tell the rates and very different than the last storm because of the wind. Many people are equating heavier snow with bigger flakes. Correct me if I am wrong but if there is no fog you measure snowfall rates by visibility not the size of the snowflakes.

Weenies flying everywhere right now...good luck up there bud. You should clean up in this one.

I think BOS may flirt with a DS, but areas near ORH and Ray..down by Kev should do awesome. I work in Andover near the NH border, so it should be good.

This is almost a warm conveyor bomb coming into sne.

I think BOS may flirt with a DS, but areas near ORH and Ray..down by Kev should do awesome. I work in Andover near the NH border, so it should be good.

This is almost a warm conveyor bomb coming into sne.

You know what's funny..I was noticing that on the SLP and QPF distribution and looked aloft as well--really insane storm when it gets up there. Somebody is going to get 2'...the closed H85 and H7 lows pass in the perfect spot.

3 blocks from LGA and it is smokin outside right now. Not an official measurement but I think we have close to 4 inches with very heavy snow. Hard to tell the rates and very different than the last storm because of the wind. Many people are equating heavier snow with bigger flakes. Correct me if I am wrong but if there is no fog you measure snowfall rates by visibility not the size of the snowflakes.

I just like looking at big numerous flakes rather than many tiny flakes like sugar.

By the way..doesn't get much more classic than that radar image. Wow.

I luvs me some Miller B. Major poundage here now. I know its old news, but need to read this one into the record for posterity:

NYZ078-120915-

NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-

944 PM EST TUE JAN 11 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

.TONIGHT...SNOW THIS EVENING...THEN SNOW WITH A CHANCE OF

THUNDERSTORMS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES AFTER

MIDNIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 10 TO 14 INCHES. BRISK WITH LOWS IN

THE UPPER 20S. EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH...BECOMING NORTHEAST 15 TO

20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF SNOW NEAR

100 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY...SNOW...MAINLY IN THE MORNING. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT

TIMES IN THE MORNING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES.

BREEZY WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH

GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW NEAR 100 PERCENT.

wow.....i cant believe theres seems to be a band setting up pretty close to where 12/26 set up in NJ. ridiculous!!!!!! not sure where the center of the pivot will take place but some peoples in there will be nuked!!

*tear* this is my last post before my restriction is off at 858am :thumbsdown: so im gonna go out wit a BANG.

its is BEASTIN outside right now. HEAVY SNOW, about to go for another jebwalk and try to drag my bostons along with me. good luck to all, i will be lurking til 858am, bed is NOT an option.

UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL ICEBERG OBSERVATION:

somewhere in middlesex cty NJ

HVY SNOW w/fog

26F

feels like 18F

not too much steady wind but frequent gusts

storm total ~ 5"

This is quite unbelieveable given the models showing the east shift, at the mesocale models, I am stting at a fairly good band and snowing moderate to heavy snow; so far its a very fine snow growth due to lack of wind, when I saw the sfc low trending westward, I had hope that we would be fine (Northern Eastern NJ).And Like John said, sitting in a band where the models didn't actually show the band is a neat surprise and I truly believe 12" of snow will acutally happen, ths storm reminds me of a weaken version for the February 11-12th 2006 storm, (though it perhaps does not have same heavy, heavy frontogentic forcing like that one did or the December 26th blizzard, but BOTH of them had a heck of a closed low for a certain time which slowed it down a good deal).

This is my last post for the night because my limit is up, so I'll post in the morning, though I would LOVE to share the thoughts with you guys! Be well

Christopher.

Closing in on 4 inches here in southeastern passaic county... looking at the bands setting up, i can't believe it, but i may reach the high end of OKX forecast amount of 12. Definite possibility. SN+ here

Hey neighbor. It's beautiful out there. It's just pouring snow. I love the looks of the band setting up from Monmouth County to Staten Island to Brooklyn. It looks like it's starting to pivot more towards the NW. There's some 35-40dbz in there. If we can get under that band we'll probably see some 2-3"/hr rates for a while!

That band is delivering in Mo Co, 3.5 now and its rippin outside. defanately not going to be a bust. Plus today marks 17 consecutive days of snow cover, Thats pretty amazing in and of itself.

Thats a nice stretch for snow cover. About 9 or 10 years ago I had a winter where I had snow cover in my yard for the entire calendar winter ~ Dec 21st to Mar 21st. Of course it helped that my yard as a slight but general slope to the NW to fight the sun. lol

OKX Special Weather Statement:

AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THROUGH 1 AM.

VISIBILITIES WILL DROP TO 1/4 MILE OR LESS WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF

1 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR EXPECTED THROUGH 3 AM. EMBEDDED

THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE.

MOTORISTS SHOULD USE EXTREME CAUTION AS SNOWPLOW OPERATORS WILL

NOT BE ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THESE TYPE OF SNOWFALL RATES...MAKING

TRAVEL VERY DIFFICULT. THIS WILL BE PARTICULARLY TRUE ON SECONDARY

AND TERTIARY ROADWAYS.

Archived