Newest Member
    EWR757
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember what Tip said earlier that the NAM could do better in these situations

I still think the NAM COULD be on to something, though there is a low chance, especially considering the pattern this winter thus far

that said, the slp position on the NAM would almost certainly involve a mix out to 495 (like fox25 is calling for now, with heaviest snow worcester on west)

Like Washington political reporters, still trying to find the next Watergate, and fame.

Everyone wants to call the next February '78 -- thirty-plus years on, both groups are still trying.

big deal posting accum maps IMO

there aren't calling for anything crazy. highest is 8-14 swath which seems reasonable given all guidance for some area.

I still think the NAM COULD be on to something, though there is a low chance, especially considering the pattern this winter thus far

that said, the slp position on the NAM would almost certainly involve a mix out to 495 (like fox25 is calling for now, with heaviest snow worcester on west)

I give it about a .05% chance to be honest. If it is I'll tip my hat to TT.

It's really a shame this is the farce that has become the NAM.

I asked and I think nobody answered because there's no answer...the NAM goes postal with energy at 48 hours and I think it's a glaring error for some reason.

The RGEM/UK/GFS and we'll soon find out about the Euro all seem to agree. It's a benchmark track and we have to be careful we don't have issues with the mid level centers again.

There's going to be a pretty good inverted trough with this one too I think.

This looks fishy to me, what is causing the models other than the NAM to push the vorticity out with the Low instead of wrapping it in with the 500mb low center? If you look at hour 54 and 60 you can clearly see this process take place. It just doesn't make sense. I would think in this situation it would wrap up and capture the low instead of push it out to sea.

Well I guess John was saying NAM may be onto something but it would be hard to just throw out the rest of the globals. Maybe a more amped solution and NAM will fall back towards the rest and the end will be somewhere there?

I certainly wouldn't discount the NAM's solution as far as track goes, looks like this system will have an extreme negative tilt to it...so I'd think more west than east.

Euro has been pretty dead on several runs. Ride it.

How does it compare to this run of the GFS in terms of QPF and track?

This looks fishy to me, what is causing the models other than the NAM to push the vorticity out with the Low instead of wrapping it in with the 500mb low center? If you look at hour 54 and 60 you can clearly see this process take place. It just doesn't make sense. I would think in this situation it would wrap up and capture the low instead of push it out to sea.

Been happening over and over this year. As a met explained - it's trying to smash into heights over the E/SE that won't knock down, so speeds are ridiculous and they're getting fired out east like a baseball out of a pitching machine. Even with the 0z it's too early to say it's happening again, the NAM has been horrible lately and has done this same thing many times to difference scales but that doesn't mean it couldn't be right this time.

I drew a map the other night of almost the exact same situation at 5h. The whole thing is north this time but the poitn was the same, if the 5h vorticity comes up through NJ heading to SE NY that's good for the central/norther folks...if it's heading out ENE or E in later runs thats bad.

We didn't...

15". Daily Times reported 16".

I'm on the Woburn/Winchester line and Winchester came in with 17.3". Too bad it's the CP's winter! :snowman:

That was BS, too.

Those type of totals were a little closer in to the city and immediate N shore.

Just like you supposedly beat me by a couple of inches in 2008-09, too. :lol:

Will wouldn't even include your total in his map.

Archived